The Ham Radio (and Related topics) Discussion and Question Thread

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
Yes, I have built a fair amount of Heathkit equipment over the years. Miss them.

Do we have a ham radio thread? If not, why not?

I'm considering spending a little time on the hobby. I used to listen a lot and even had a CB multiple times. I could pass the ham examinations with some quick study.

Anyhow, I'm in the market for a new portable scanner (non-tranmitting, at this time) and have that more or less picked out.

But, I just ordered the radio all good hams hate. So, we should have a ham radio thread, but it should be 'run' by someone with more knowledge than I have.

Now, back on topic, I'm not sure if anyone said "CB"?

It still exists but not with nearly the popularity it once had. Even truckers are doing stuff like other radio bands (like GPRS) and cell phones.

Then, there are dashboard prisms - but many folks won't remember those...

With the low slung hood on older cars, if you stopped near the stop light you had to lean forward and look up, which wasn't always successful.

So some folks had a prism on their dashboard. Traffic signals were bright enough to be redirected by the prism, so you could see when the light turned green.

I suppose someone said 8 track.

Whitewall tires. Rubber is naturally white. We die it black and the additives also change the color. But, you have to special order them if you still want whitewalls on your period-correct tire.

Also, did anyone say bias ply tires? It's a good thing we're (more or less) done with those.

Because this hobby is dying out worldwide for several good reasons! The main reasons are global urbanization and the associated sources of interference. The overarching organization of international umbrella organizations and their unmanageable rules for the respective continents and countries. National bans and restrictions, e.g. by various homeowners associations and other supervisory authorities. There is no privacy, every radio connection can be overheard. There is no way to defend against illegal carrier placement and other intentionally induced interference. Efficient noise suppression can now only be implemented with increased technical effort.

I was interested in this topic for a long time, especially antenna construction and the associated radiation characteristics, or special transmission methods such as Olivia MFSK. But after considering it for a sufficiently long time, I have come to the conclusion that it's better not to use it.
Now, back on topic, I'm not sure if anyone said "CB"? It still exists but not with nearly the popularity it once had. Even truckers are doing stuff like other radio bands (like GPRS) and cell phones.
CB is as good as dead now, not worth the hassle with it.
Whitewall tires. Rubber is naturally white. We die it black and the additives also change the color. But, you have to special order them if you still want whitewalls on your period-correct tire.
There will always be white carcasses, not only for vintage vehicles, but also for city bikes, which can look particularly elegant with them, or for certain motorcycles.

I'm considering spending a little time on the hobby. I used to listen a lot and even had a CB multiple times. I could pass the ham examinations with some quick study.

Anyhow, I'm in the market for a new portable scanner (non-tranmitting, at this time) and have that more or less picked out.

But, I just ordered the radio all good hams hate. So, we should have a ham radio thread, but it should be 'run' by someone with more knowledge than I have.

The reason for the lessening of the ham radio population is that with clellphones and computers today the need seems less especially among younger user. But ham radio is still pretty vibrant and there are many ways to use it today from HF to UHF and from modes Like CW (Morse code) to satellites and Digital modes. I'm partial to Morse Code and HF and still use it some even though I live in an apartment the does not allow Outside antennas. I still have fun working around the world and enjoy the conversations with other hams., CB we won't mention :)
But go for it day you no longer need to learn Morse code if you don't want to. Just learn the theory.
In any event I would do the ham section, But right now may not be able to with my wife's and my health needs we spend a lot of time with Doctors.

Last edited:

It still exists but not with nearly the popularity it once had. Even truckers are doing stuff like other radio bands (like GPRS) and cell phones.

Because this hobby is dying out worldwide for several good reasons! The main reasons are global urbanization and the associated sources of interference. The overarching organization of international umbrella organizations and their unmanageable rules for the respective continents and countries. National bans and restrictions, e.g. by various homeowners associations and other supervisory authorities. There is no privacy, every radio connection can be overheard. There is no way to defend against illegal carrier placement and other intentionally induced interference. Efficient noise suppression can now only be implemented with increased technical effort.

I was interested in this topic for a long time, especially antenna construction and the associated radiation characteristics, or special transmission methods such as Olivia MFSK. But after considering it for a sufficiently long time, I have come to the conclusion that it's better not to use it.
Ham radio isn't dead it's not the same as it was.
Many years ago a Ham had to actually study and understand some basic electronics radio theory.
When I got my novice license way back when I had to receive and transmit I believe 5 wpm CW aka Morse Code.
Don't have to do that anymore and that's okay.
Now if you have a computer you just take a multiple question test and if you pass and have the cash you get a Ham license.
I'm thinking about letting mine go no interest anymore.

CB Radio is still used by some in some areas.
We have a few local CB radio users in our area and it's okay.
A bunch of local old codgers like myself get together once a year.
A lot of Ham radio users don't like CB radio however if it wasn't for CB radio some of them would have never got a Ham radio license.

I have a GMRS license with GMRS radios in our vehicles and in the house.

Last edited:
In any event I would do the ham section,

I was picturing a thread in the off-topic section dedicated to radio.

if I wanted to deep dive into it, there are better forums for that (like RR, which is awesome and my account there is from like 2011).

I'm thinking it'd make a good 'winter hobby'.

As for the thoughts about it being dead, I am legitimately surprised at how much YouTube content there is and by the ages of those people. I forget the name of the tech, but there's an email-like system out there and there's even a way to send pictures to other hams. I'm a bit interested in "internet over radio", which would be painfully slow but would amuse me for hours.

I suppose I can start the thread, but my skill level is a 0.

I suppose I can start the thread, but my skill level is a 0.
I would certainly support you in it. If I can be of help.
There are now dozens of digital mode where you can send pictures- messages - etc.

The reason for the lessening of the ham radio population is that with cellphones and computers today the need seems less especially among younger user. But ham radio is still pretty vibrant and there are many ways to use it today from HF to UHF and from modes Like CW (Morse code) to satellites and Digital modes.
In the last 30 years there has been a certain development in this area in the direction of digitization, which has brought about a variety of newer forms of transmission, but which has had no positive influence on the previous statistics. The figures show on all continents and countries that there are many more people who give up this hobby for good than those who dare to jump into the ice-cold water by starting with it. :rolleyes:
But go for it day you no longer need to learn Morse code if you don't want to. Just learn the theory. In any event I would do the ham section, but right now may not be able to with my wife's and my health needs we spend a lot of time with Doctors.
Here, too, the numbers are in the negative range, since there are a lot of people, especially in the USA, who have one of the three licenses but don't really want to invest in this hobby. Many simply let the license expire because they no longer want to renew it. Technically, the hobby is extremely interesting, but due to the development of the last few decades, it is simply no longer worth the investment of time, money and energy. In order to counteract this negative development, several programs have been started to move the whole thing from the stationary shack to the great outdoors, such as SOTA, IOTA or WWFF. But in the end that too was just a drop in the bucket and hasn't brought the expected success to this day. Why is that? Quite simply, listening to the chirping of birds and the buzzing of insects makes far more sense than having your ears pounded with endless noise!

But there is more to say about it, amateur radio today has absolutely nothing to do with communication any more. In fact, it's all about social competition, where one wants to outperform the other by trying to prove the largest possible number of connections over the largest possible distances through QSL cards. In truth, it's nothing more than an idiotic battle of materials and a useless waste of resources that could be better used elsewhere. There's a lot more I could say at this point about the downright pathological excesses of amateur radio and society in general, but I don't want to make anyone sick to the stomach here. So if one really wants to communicate with people they don't even know, it should be done face to face much more than with the antediluvian methods of the 20th century. ;)

@SciTecDC,
Well written, but don't throw the baby out with the bath water. I will agree there is some very profound truth in your analysis. But there is still for me at least a bit of magic in the air waves. It's not a practical thing, one could communicate much better on line or via other means than by Ham Raido. But There is a special place for radio in our lives. It may be fading but it's still there.
And It still fills a place for emergency communications when all else fails. And a trained cadre of ops that know how to work in a emergency environment is still needed today. So it's not all about personal fulfillment but also about being ready when needed.
JMHO. ;) But let not get too far off topic. This discussion most likely belongs in KGIII's suggested Ham Radio thread.

In the last 30 years there has been a certain development in this area in the direction of digitization, which has brought about a variety of newer forms of transmission, but which has had no positive influence on the previous statistics. The figures show on all continents and countries that there are many more people who give up this hobby for good than those who dare to jump into the ice-cold water by starting with it. :rolleyes:

Here, too, the numbers are in the negative range, since there are a lot of people, especially in the USA, who have one of the three licenses but don't really want to invest in this hobby. Many simply let the license expire because they no longer want to renew it. Technically, the hobby is extremely interesting, but due to the development of the last few decades, it is simply no longer worth the investment of time, money and energy. In order to counteract this negative development, several programs have been started to move the whole thing from the stationary shack to the great outdoors, such as SOTA, IOTA or WWFF. But in the end that too was just a drop in the bucket and hasn't brought the expected success to this day. Why is that? Quite simply, listening to the chirping of birds and the buzzing of insects makes far more sense than having your ears pounded with endless noise!

But there is more to say about it, amateur radio today has absolutely nothing to do with communication any more. In fact, it's all about social competition, where one wants to outperform the other by trying to prove the largest possible number of connections over the largest possible distances through QSL cards. In truth, it's nothing more than an idiotic battle of materials and a useless waste of resources that could be better used elsewhere. There's a lot more I could say at this point about the downright pathological excesses of amateur radio and society in general, but I don't want to make anyone sick to the stomach here. So if one really wants to communicate with people they don't even know, it should be done face to face much more than with the antediluvian methods of the 20th century. ;)
Agreed and very well said.
I've had my Ham radio license since I was in high school and I'm in my seventies.
I no longer have an interest in the hobby due to all of the new gadgetry that's come about.
I was always just happy and enjoyed talking into the microphone to someone else in Amateur radio land.
I don't and have never cared for all of the new gadgetry that has come about in Ham radio.
I may also let my radio license go for other reasons besides the gadgetry.
When I first became a Ham radio operator the hobby was fun and very interesting.

But there is still for me at least a bit of magic in the air waves. It's not a practical thing, one could communicate much better on line or via other means than by Ham Raido. But There is a special place for radio in our lives. It may be fading but it's still there.
You've hit the nail on the head for me the magic was just being able to communicate over the air waves to another across the pond.

Agreed and very well said.
I've had my Ham radio license since I was in high school and I'm in my seventies.
I no longer have an interest in the hobby due to all of the new gadgetry that's come about.
I was always just happy and enjoyed talking into the microphone to someone else in Amateur radio land.
I don't and have never cared for all of the new gadgetry that has come about in Ham radio.
I may also let my radio license go for other reasons besides the gadgetry.
When I first became a Ham radio operator the hobby was fun and very interesting.
Glad to meet you. I was also licensed in Jr. High and have held my Lisence ever since. I'm still a bit active now in my 70's also But my first love in radio has always been Morse code. I still use it. I found that QRP (low power) operations have kept me in the mood and only run a rig with 2 watts today from a senior housing apartment that does not allow outside antennas. It's amazing what can be done with low power and an indoor antenna. In any event to each their own.

Glad to meet you. I was also licensed in Jr. High and have held my Lisence ever since. I'm still a bit active now in my 70's also But my first love in radio has always been Morse code. I still use it. I found that QRP (low power) operations have kept me in the mood and only run a rig with 2 watts today from a senior housing apartment that does not allow outside antennas. It's amazing what can be done with low power and an indoor antenna. In any event to each their own.
Glad to meet you. :)
That's really cool you're into the Morse code and use it.
There's a guy that lives down the road from me got to be in his 90s that uses Morse code.
Morse code will transmit through any kind of bad weather and any kind of noise and interference.

@KGIII,
Dave, maybe you could slice off the ham post from here and use it for the basis of a new Ham Radio section.

@KGIII,
Dave, maybe you could slice off the ham post from here and use it for the basis of a new Ham Radio section.

That seemed like a good idea.

It was a bit of work, but it is done. I believe I grabbed just the most appropriate posts, so as to not involve others who wouldn't want to be a part of this thread.

I've mentioned some things in private messages that will likely get added as comments here at some point, but probably not via copy/paste.

Thanks Dave.

So, I bought the radio that pretty much all hams profess to hate - though I did get the more upscale model.

The entire thing was under $40 - and I expect it to behave as well as a $30 radio will. I got the Baofeng UV-5R that is claimed to transmit at 8 watts but the folks who have tested it are seeing numbers closer to 10 watts.

As I lack a license, I will not transmit on any frequencies that are restricted. I'll behave myself. This is just for playing around with and listening. I'll buy a big boy radio when it's time.

Also on my list of things to do is buy a new portable scanner. Some of the agencies are using trunking and my existing portable doesn't deal with trunking very well. It used to be just fine so maybe the tech changed or maybe I've misconfigured something. Either way, it's more than a decade old and the only change I've made to it is to add a better antenna.

I give a little of my own back ground.
I started out as a Shortwave listener in 1964- But there was the strong signal CW (Morse Code) On sometimes and I traced it to a Ham Just up the street from me. His call was K1SEV (Now Silent Key) He became my mentor and I studied and achieved the needed knowledge to get my Novice ticket in I believe 1966 or so. WN1BVE. Had a Military surplus Arc-5 Receiver and a Knight T-50 TX 25 to 30 watt out to a long wire antenna. Had loads of fun in those day. That was the start of a Life time in the hobby.

He became my mentor and I studied and achieved the needed knowledge to get my Novice ticket in I believe 1966 or so.

If I understand the jargon correctly, would he be called your "Elmer"?

Elsewhere, I'm told I should find one - that is someone to sit down with me and help me. I'm pretty remote, but I think I have someone who would happily do so and I'd be willing to compensate them for their time.

That was the start of a Life time in the hobby.

You mentioned elsewhere that you weren't allowed an antenna. (I find that odd, at least here in Maine.)

As I'm sure you know, there are all sorts of ways to disguise an antenna. You can even just chuck some wire out the window if you really wanted. (As I'm sure you know - and know better than I do.)

I'm interested in geeking out on the antenna specifics. I'd like a variety of them that are optimized for the band(s) they'll be using.

I have mentioned this before, but I have a tower (mast?) in a barn. A buddy of mine climbed towers, installed towers, and basically worked in that industry. He replaced an antenna for a customer and they gave him the old one, which he stored in one of my barns because he lacked the room.

He has since decided he didn't want it and that I should/could sell it for scrap. I could call someone to do all the work. You know what it's like here in Maine. I'd have no problem finding someone to pay me to haul it away. All the fittings are there, so I suppose I could have sold it.

For the life of me, I can't remember if it's 40', 60' or 80'. I'm pretty sure it's 60'.

I'm about 2600' ASL and the tower would get me over the tree line.

I'm thinking I could do okay with my physical location without a whole lot of extra complexity.

I am also nowhere near the point of having the tower erected. No, that'd be something possibly years into my future.

@ KGIII If I understand the jargon correctly, would he be called your "Elmer"?
You mentioned elsewhere that you weren't allowed an antenna. (I find that odd, at least here in Maine.)
Yup, your right :) He was my Elmer.
My lease spcifically forbids out side antennas. When you retired 70's and living in senior house. Your limited.
I use a small transmitting loop and am on 20 Meters only at the moment. CW of course. Have worked almost 50 countries so far in less than a year with this set up. The loop is only 13 feet long. mounted on my bedroom wall. I use a little qrp (low Power) tuner to resonate it on 20M It will also work on 30M but have no transmitter to that bad at the moment. The Key to small loops like this is to use the biggest diameter wire or tubing you can.

As for your antenna project start simple and build upon that. most any wire 20 feet or Higher will work oh HF 80 -10 Meters.
The key is to make them as rf efficient as possible. Your interest will also dictate the type and hieght of the antenna also.
VHF -and UHF need to be pretty much line of sight so antennas need to be higher for these bands Unless of course you going through a repeat that is already up high so on a high hill or mountain. There are lots of possibilities. Any antenna is better than none.

Last edited:

Members online