The Neighbor, Horses, Cats and One Witch

Sherri is a Cat

Reaction score
Credits
After posting a video in Wizardfromoz's thread Rock Roxx, I remembered something that happened a while back...

I started renting this house about 10 years ago. I'm very far out in the country. A full moon illuminates everything. I don't need a porch light to see anything. On a new moon, absolutely nothing is visible, not even your hands in front of your face. I can smell the city when I go into town. It stinks! I had two neighbors. One is still here and probably a pot-head. The other went by 'Buck'. He had about 20 horses. We all rented from the same guy on a large tract of land. He seemed like a nice guy, maybe a little odd but otherwise harmless. For about a year, everything was fine. I've been stuck next to rowdy, wild, nearly always drunk people in the past. I was glad to have these two as neighbors but I kept a healthy distance. As Robert Frost said, "Good Fences Make Good Neighbors". But things would change.

Those fences started to burn when I moved into a house closer to Buck. He started acting different, a little pissed all the time. I kept to my side of the road and let him be. It went on that way for a while with intermittent moments of friendliness. One day I was wearing a necklace with a round medallion. He asked what it was. It was just a medallion, nothing special, just something I liked. "Oh, I thought you were Wiccan." I asked why he thought so. "That necklace looks like a pentacle". A pentacle has a center leg that points up, enclosed in a circle. My medallion looks nothing like that. I didn't say much, maybe I said "Oh", as in "That's interesting".

Buck sometimes brought kids out here to ride his horses. I thought that was a good thing. I use to ride when I was a kid. Nothing compares to the feel of galloping with the wind on the back of a horse. And then came the day that he directed those kids to ride circles around my house. I was standing in my bedroom looking at fields of green trees when a horse and rider passed in front of my window about 3 feet away from the panes. I could clearly see the pupils of the riders eyes. I thought it must have been incididental, I was sure no one would knowingly ride by my bedroom window in the morning when I wasn't even dressed yet. But she came again. I assumed she was just a stupid kid. The adults would tell her she was being rude. She passed my window again, then again, and again!

I wasn't quite angry, not yet anyway. I wasn't happy that I was going to have to put clothes on just to ask my neighbor to do the decent thing. Before I walked out, I checked my temper. It wouldn't help anything to sound confrontational. I walked over to the road. "Hey Buck! Do you think maybe they could ride somewhere else?" I didn't point out that we live on 500 acres of land. I didn't point out that there are much more interesting places to ride a horse than circles around my house. Buck didn't handle this well. The previous day he was chatty, friendly. He did a total 180 that day. I was shocked! I don't remember exactly what he said next, but it wasn't pretty. I went back inside, gave him some time to cool off before talking to him again. It is not okay to send children around my house on a galloping horse! This would have to be addressed.

A few hours later I went over to talk to him again. His mood was even worse. Wow! I never expected that! He accused my cats of killing his ducks and chickens, that something would have to be done with my pets, that everyone was complaining about them. I know from experience cats don't mess with chickens. They have sharp beaks. Unless they are starving, they aren't going to mess with a duck either. I had pet rats that played with my cats. One of my rats charged and chased a cat to the back of the house. I have a picture of my cat "spooning" with my rat. I don't think my cats would bother his duck. I guess it just never occured to him that we have plenty of racoons and coyotes out here. They would be much more likely culprits. Not only that, our one other neighbor had a cat of his own. Who would be complaining?

Now I was pissed, and baffled! I went back inside to bitch about Buck. I walked back to my studio room. It has a big bay window that looks directly over his side of the road. That mf had a gun!!!

I'm going to stop now to say that NO ONE MESSES WITH MY CATS! PERIOD!

That day Buck only began to realize the truth of that statement. I never hurt Buck, at least not physically. Gun or not, I ran outside right up to his face and strarted yelling! DO NOT THREATEN MY CATS!! I don't know what else was said. I only know he looked a little scared. I guess anyone would be scared when a crazed woman with no apparent fear of weapons comes at them the way I did that day. I lost it and I didn't care. My then husband had trouble pulling me away from Buck, and he's a big guy too. Military, doing all that military fitness training every day. That's how pissed I was, super-human pissed. And Buck could see it too. He started going on about having PTSD, how crazy he could be and what he might do.

That's when I let the" crazy" out.

I have a way of looking at people that puts the fear of death into them. I'm not kidding. If someone ever attackes me, I don't think I need anything else. Just a look that brings to mind glazed over, blood shot eyes and wide black pupils. Locked on you, never blinking. And an evil smile. I talked at him like I was possessed. A deep gravel, growling, hissing voice cursing in an unknown language, spittle flying out of my mouth. I'm not sure how long it was before Buck said, "I'm going to talk to Klevon!", our landlord. He sounded like a whiney 6 years old kid threatening to get his parents. I was far from scared. I think he knew it too.

We all headed up the drive to see our landlord. Well actually what happened is that my husband dragged me along, nearly carried me kicking and laughing at Buck trailing 10 feet behind. All the way up, my eyes pierced , spit flyijng with every hiss and evil growl, bucking desperatley to get myself loose... To get Buck!

I think it was about then when Buck said, "She's got 13 black cats! She's a witch!". I didn't have 13 black cats, but Buck didn't know that. A new emotion added itself to my expression, my laugh, my smile... Sick pleasure. Oh if you could have seen his face! I think I must have put the fear of God into that man! I seized on his idea that I'm a mean, evil witch. I think I cackled at him as i was carried, laughing, kicking and clawing out to Buck, all the way up the hill.

When my then husband rang the door bell, I was perfectly calm. "Huh? What scary witch? I don't know what you're talking about".

My then husband and Buck did all the talking. Buck told our landlord how bothered everyone was by my cats. Cats claim about 1 square mile of territory. It was possible that they were bothering someone. But a lot of people have "Barn Cats" to keep the mice and rats out of the grain and hay. But still, I had a small amount of fear. After Buck finished his story about all the people bothered by my cats, those poeple somewhere outside of the 500 acres of land we all live on. And then Klevon said," Well, actually...." He paused, my gut clenched. I waited an eternity for him to finish his statement.

"Well actually... peopole are bothered by the horses."

I didn't need to hear anymore. I turned back down the hill to go home.

But I was not done with Buck.

When I got back, I went into my studio, the one with the big bay window that looks out over his side of the road. He would have to walk by that window when he came back down the hill. I opened a window. I put my speakers and subwoofer on the wide ledge of the window. I turned on my computer, opened the media player, opened the music file, selected The Eagles, "Witchy Woman". I played that song on repeat with the volume turned all the way up. I left it that way for the rest of the day.

Every morning Buck moved his horses to the pasture on the other side of my house. The gate is at the corner of my yard about 20 feet from my bay window. Buck had to walk by my bay window every morning to move those horses. He could never get more than about 20 feet away from my window and Buck was convinced that I'm a witch with 13 black cats. The mornings were still cool that time of year, enough to fog over the windows. Every morning I waited for him. I put varying sizes of bowls on the wide ledge of my bay windows. Behind them, I put a hot plate with a giant pan of boiling water. I wiped a circle of fog from the window. I vape. I waited for him every morning with one of my black cats and vape. When he came out, I stared at him while he moved those horses. Unblinking, glazed eyes followed him with a blank face, clouds of steam rising around me, a black cat in my arms, blowing billowing clouds of vapor his way. I did this every single morning while he moved all 20 horses in pairs of two to the pasture next to my bay window.

During the day, I set up my lawn furniture at the edge of my side of the road. Two adirondack chairs, two stools and a table positioned to get a good look at Buck's house and yard. When I was home, watched him. When I wasn't there, the chairs remained wtih invisible people watching Buck. Someone was always watching Buck.

It took less than 2 weeks to get rid of Buck and his 20 horses. And not one of my cats were hurt.

Members online