The problem with Linux distributions

digitard

Reaction score
Credits
As a PC user I have a general understanding of what's going on with the problems that I have to solve. Also I have a strong motivation to seriously attempt to give up Windows for ever, and I'm a persistent type. Guys, If I give up, then you have the problem of Linux distributions, and have no hope for people with lesser understanding of computers than I have.

Given that it cannot be any more user-friendly than it is, because none is paid enough to make those distributions trouble free (and I respect that). The only alternative way to keep the newcomers, average users in to Linux is to exist actual support in the troubleshooting, something that is also hard since none is getting paid to do that.

A good question is who needs newcomers, average users, in to Linux distributions since they don't pay anything, and there is little room to make any money out of them? if you have the answer to this please tell me.

Regardless the fact that I cannot boot in to Debian, that I recently installed (seriously if you don't like to have a close look on my problem don't do that). Do you actually think that if an operating system does not spread enough, free as it is, is there any other way to keep up with big-corp and the constantly new hardware? Do you think that running in 1% of the pcs it's good enough?

Do you think that running in 1% of the pcs it's good enough?

Yup. Most of us don't actually give a poop if you use Linux or not.

There are thousands of Linux users who install Linux all the time without a bit of trouble. You will see some of them here, and may never others here or any other forum. There are also many others who have difficulties. They are welcome here, and most every other forum. You come with a problem, we will dig into your problem with you, and - if you are willing - will help understand the problem and the solution.

G'day @digitard and welcome to linux.org :)

I have some errands to run this morning, but will take a look at your support thread here

when I get back.

Cheers

Chris Turner

wizardfromoz

Nice to meet you Chris. I just realized the time difference we have. I hope to hear from you later on that thread.

Yup. Most of us don't actually give a poop if you use Linux or not.
I have figured out that already, I like to go places where I'm not welcomed... just like home

Linux is not solely about money. We are a community.

On the other hand, do your research......the worlds supercomputers are powered by Linux

Do you honestly believe the 40 odd thousand people who belong to this forum are here for the money ??

Linux users adopt a certain mindset.

Good luck
I'm looking for the community, I have the mindset almost there...

There are thousands of Linux users who install Linux all the time without a bit of trouble. You will see some of them here, and may never others here or any other forum. There are also many others who have difficulties. They are welcome here, and most every other forum. You come with a problem, we will dig into your problem with you, and - if you are willing - will help understand the problem and the solution.
Thank you

Nice to meet you all

There are thousands of Linux users who install Linux all the time without a bit of trouble. You will see some of them here, and may never others here or any other forum. There are also many others who have difficulties.

Yes this is the draw of Linux, some of us like to dive into and play with Linux. We break it, then try to fix it. Reminds me of my DOS days before windows.

As a PC user I have a general understanding of what's going on with the problems that I have to solve. Also I have a strong motivation to seriously attempt to give up Windows for ever, and I'm a persistent type. Guys, If I give up, then you have the problem of Linux distributions, and have no hope for people with lesser understanding of computers than I have.

Given that it cannot be any more user-friendly than it is, because none is paid enough to make those distributions trouble free (and I respect that). The only alternative way to keep the newcomers, average users in to Linux is to exist actual support in the troubleshooting, something that is also hard since none is getting paid to do that.

A good question is who needs newcomers, average users, in to Linux distributions since they don't pay anything, and there is little room to make any money out of them? if you have the answer to this please tell me.

Regardless the fact that I cannot boot in to Debian, that I recently installed (seriously if you don't like to have a close look on my problem don't do that). Do you actually think that if an operating system does not spread enough, free as it is, is there any other way to keep up with big-corp and the constantly new hardware? Do you think that running in 1% of the pcs it's good enough?

Greetings @digitard and welcome to the forum!
I am the old guy around here {I think} and started with computers around 1995 on Windows 95.
I recently got rid of the last vestige of any Windows on any of my laptops and desktops that I use regularly.
After being coddled by Microsoft for all those years I found it difficult to realize that I had to do some work to learn how Linux functions if I wanted to use it.
People have the idea that Linux is free of any cost. That is not a true statement. In life there is a cost to everything. While the Linux operating system may be financially free to download and use, there is most certainly a cost in the time it takes to learn how to use it.
I remember a teacher I had in high school once told the class "I can teach you, but I cannot learn for you!" No truer words were ever spoken.
Linux is not difficult to learn - IF - one is willing to spend the time it takes to LEARN to use the system.
By the way, I turned 86 in November and am now beginning to learn a little about programming.
I have been using Linux Mint for about 3 or 4 years without too much difficulty. I have tried several other distros {including Debian} but found that Mint serves me fine for what I do.
Seems like the whole world is geared solely to putting a money value on everything. On this forum you will see very little connection between money and helpful advice. The people on this forum are more than willing to give others helpful advice to make their Linux experience better. Most of these guys know what they are talking about. {Some like me not so much. LOL}
The answer to your question about who needs newcomers is - no one needs them. I guess it is part of the process of maturing into adulthood that the newbies are usually very grateful that there are people here willing to help. It's the new people who need what these people here provide, free of monetary charge: but not free of any cost!
Thanks for listening to my rant as I tend to get windy at times.
Once again, welcome to the forum.
Just an Old Geezer, Tango Charlie

...as I tend to get windy at times.

That's the chilli you're eating, Charlie ;)

Crikey, I go shopping for an hour or two and the kids start firing spitballs.

@digitard I won't start adding to any feeling you might have of being under siege, but just to say

The only alternative way...

...is a nonsense, IMO. You are too new to Linux to have the experience that shows others of us that there are as many facets to why Linux is this and why Linux is not or does not have that, as there are facets to a diamond. Every diamond has its flaw, and Linux is no different. What is different is that the other OSes are like trying to super glue a broken mirror shattered into many pieces. You can patch it back up, but you can never get a true image again, and the overall object is structurally weakened and can break more easily next time.

The nature of Linux is that it just gets stronger and more secure, and unless you have tried a dozen Linux or more (even 50 is not unreasonable) then you have no grounding other than a shaky uncertainty, or isolated adverse experience, for criticising the environment as a whole.

When Brian @Condobloke and I came here 3 years ago last April/May, there were 4,600 Members, now we have 8 - 9 times that many, do the math, Linux, and us, must be doing something right.

We have Members aged 13 to 86 and the largest growth area is those aged 55 to 75 which means? People who are sick of the other OSes.

I could go on but I want to check out your support Thread and help some others, and your ears may be getting sore.

Most of us do give a poop whether people take up Linux, but the mindset referred to is important, and a good read is

https://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

BTW I run 61 Linux on this rig, if Linux is no good I must be a sucker for punishment :)

@Nelson Muntz cool emoji.

That's the chilli you're eating, Charlie

@wizardfromoz you are so wrong. Funny tho!!!

People have the idea that Linux is free of any cost. That is not a true statement. In life there is a cost to everything. While the Linux operating system may be financially free to download and use, there is most certainly a cost in the time it takes to learn how to use it.
@70 Tango Charlie How true!!

I have figured out that already, I like to go places where I'm not welcomed... just like home
Just to be sure you understand. You are welcome here!! The people on this forum, are very open and share their knowledge (hard earned through trial and error, experience, etc). I enjoy reading the information they put out for free. It is very informative, and helps get me and others out of some serious jams.

Hello @digitard, welcome to the community! Most average computer users only use Windows and don't dual boot, that already makes you above average. I've seen plenty of newcomers succeed with GNU/Linux and I've seen plenty try to start and not succeed, the difference with those who succeed and who don't is whether they are willing to learn and put in the effort since GNU/Linux and Windows aren't the same and don't work the same. If you are willing to do both of those there are plenty of people here willing to help, I'm not a newcomer but I find linux.org one of the friendlier forums around so you are in a good place. Just one question, why did you decided to go with Debian?

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcoming everybody
Just one question, why did you decided to go with Debian?
My reasoning is based on info that I have read on the internet, and copying some people that I know that they know what they doing with computers and they using Debian.

In a nutshell, I have them on my internet activity but I don't want them in my hard drive. The internet it's yours, I enter your domain alright. My computer tho it's mine, I have paid for it, I don't want you in there.

I know Windows are as rigged as can be. But the last time they installed a keylogger with an update where I ''clearly'' had stated with their fuing tick boxes that I don't want them to do that. There are more but that was it, they are clearly out of control. I decide to fight with Debian ever since because it seems it has the ethical advantage, their code is used for many other operating systems therefore there are many eyes on that source code, which is what I want, I want the OS to do what says in the tag and nothing more. Nothing that is not in the tag and I don't want the tag to change again after I read it.

Thanks for the welcoming everybody

My reasoning is based on info that I have read on the internet, and copying some people that I know that they know what they doing with computers and they using Debian.

In a nutshell, I have them on my internet activity but I don't want them in my hard drive. The internet it's yours, I enter your domain alright. My computer tho it's mine, I have paid for it, I don't want you in there.
In most cases Ubuntu or Mint is the better choice for a beginner and they have more up-to-date software than Debian since Debian is generally more seen as a server distribution even though it can be used as a desktop. I'm sure those participating in your topic will get your problem figured out so that you can enjoy the start of your GNU/Linux journey :cool: I don't dual-boot so won't be much of a help there ;)

Do you actually think that if an operating system does not spread enough, free as it is, is there any other way to keep up with big-corp and the constantly new hardware? Do you think that running in 1% of the pcs it's good enough?
When you understand what Richard Stallman means when referring to free software - then you will understand Linux.
I like to go places where I'm not welcomed... just like home
That's actually pretty funny! LOL Good line!

When you understand what Richard Stallman means when referring to free software - then you will understand Linux.
It seems that I already encounter the ''non free'' problem in my Debian. The reason it doesn't work is that it missing programs that are not free... if it doesn't work what's the point to be free?

Are there machines qualified that can run with Debian's out of the box free software? Is there such a list of laptops maybe? if so please tell me... it should be, or this doesn't make sense

Is there some reason you do not want to try Linux Mint?

Just because we're not affected if you use Windows doesn't mean you're not welcome. As others have said, welcome to the forum. I legitimately mean that.

Being welcome and us not caring if you use Windows are two entirely separate topics. Conflating the two won't help. We're more than happy to help folks. The two aren't mutually exclusive, or even related to each other.

At this point, the biggest help I can probably offer is general advice:

Don't think like a Windows user. That's gonna be a learning curve, but you can do it. Even though Linux and Windows can be visually similar, they're still very different entities.

Staff online

Members online