Today's article has a few ways to graphically visualize your disk usage.

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits

There are other ways to do this. These are just the few that I'm most familiar with.

As always, feedback is pretty awesome.

there is filelight and gdm is great for making psychedelic wallpaper

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-05-23_19-54-53.png
    Screenshot_2021-05-23_19-54-53.png
    181.1 KB · Views: 226
A couple other apps:
filelight
Description: show where your diskspace is being used
Filelight allows you to understand your disk usage by graphically
representing your filesystem as a set of concentric, segmented rings.
It is like a pie-chart, but the segments nest, allowing you to see both
which directories take up all your space, and which directories
and files inside those directories are the real culprits.

ncdu
Description: ncurses disk usage viewer
Ncdu is a ncurses-based du viewer. It provides a fast and easy-to-use interface
through famous du utility. It allows one to browse through the directories and
show percentages of disk usage with ncurses library.

there is filelight and gdm is great for making psychedelic wallpaper

It'd be neat if it could make a live desktop that changed as the contents of your disk changed.

I try not to install any packages I do not really need.
ncdu doesn't need all the things a GUI disk usage app does. It doesn't have the neat graphs or images it just shows the info in a clear way.
2021-05-23-153431_1920x1080_scrot.png

I try not to install any packages I do not really need.

I'm quite different. I'll install all sorts of stuff, even just to look at how it works. I install software that I may only use once or twice and pretty much never uninstall anything.

Disk space is cheap these days, if that makes any sense?

Here's what I said at the site, but I am not sure it processed.

I smashed five stars on this one (I am your PFSS (Phantom Five Star Smasher), but you've asked for feedback and here it is. Not on the subject matter, but site presentation.

You could do with tricking your screenshots so that mouse over brings up the Fickle Finger of Fate to expand the picture to make it more visible. Other than that, I am left with hitting the Ctrl ++ option to enjoy "...but the colors are pretty".

Cheers and keep up the good work.

BTW also don't see an option for sending or processing this comment.

wizardfromoz

I am not sure why you'd not see the submit button. It cleverly says "Yell At Me!" (Which was changed while I was probably sipping wine and thought it was funny.

Selection_137.png

I'm not really sure how to make the images auto-expand to full (or larger) size when clicked on.

I'll have to look at it and see what I can do. I'm sure there's a way to do so. I could do so if it was plain HTML, but I'm using WordPress. There's surely something that will do the trick and I'll look into making that change.

Thanks for the suggestion, vote, and feedback! I've been able to keep up the every other day publishing, which is kinda surprising. My end goal is to see if I can do it for a full year. Then I'll see where the site sits and decide if I want to keep doing it. It eats up an ungodly amount of time.

I've found where I changed that setting and it no longer says "YELL AT ME!"

That was probably a wine-fueled decision as I was testing some snippets. It amused me at the time!

AAhh that accounts for it, it may have been my Aspie because I saw it as related to the newsletter subscription.

I've dropped the process comment line and submitted it, it works, and whitelisted the site.

Avagudday

Chris

Sweet! I have it set so that people can just ignore the nag about ad blocking. I'm just not that much of a jerk, so I couldn't possibly make it mandatory.

I'm working on a few solutions to resolve the ability to click on an image and have it open.

Do you mind if you click on an image and it opens it but then you need to click back? I can do that for larger images without any problems. I just need to remember to set it to 'media file'.

I'm not sure I want to add anymore scripting to the page and making the page heavier/slower to load. It's already full of a ton of scripting.

I'll keep looking for light solutions, at least for another hour or so. Then I really need to hit the sack.

Actually, try this:

Visit https://linux-tips.us/a-few-ways-to-visualize-disk-usage-in-linux/

Scroll down to the last picture (the one with the pretty colors), and click on it.

Will that work? I think that looks pretty decent and it's not too weighty in the JavaScript department.

You may need to clear cache or something, but probably not.

I've only adjusted the one image. Future images will have that feature.

NCDU is a pretty, nice and useful app https://dev.yorhel.nl/ncdu I've been using for quite some time, and it's help me keep track where space's gone. You can delete files by selecting and pressing d, to see other options just press ? I found that app while looking for something similar to treesize https://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free which is a Windows only app, and I really enjoy using that one in W7; you can analyze disk usage and preview the big files to decide whether you want to keep them around or delete, and that you can not do with ncdu, but I still like it. :) treesize and rufus are two apps I wish someone ported to Linux; though there are many alternatives, none of them offer as many features.

A couple of 'em reminded me of WinDirStat, found here: https://windirstat.net/
I tried that one but didn't like it. By the way, in your article you recommend kdirstat, note that the project is now dead and replaced by qdirstat as explained here
http://kdirstat.sourceforge.net/ and I quote:
KDirStat is dead, long live QDirStat!
So I don't know, but you probably should edit that and remove kdirstat from the list and maybe add ncdu instead, just saying. :)

in your article you recommend kdirstat

LOL You probably just skimmed the article. It recommends K4DirStat: https://github.com/jeromerobert/k4dirstat

That was last updated right around Christmas and, as far as I know, is very much alive.

No, but there's changes to the first 2 pictures, with the first becoming larger and easily legible.

Yeah, the first image is now huge. I'm not sure how that happened. I'm done messing with it. Future images should be clickable, so long as there's a benefit to being viewed larger.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts