Today's article is a short one about gunzip...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
You can easily extract .gz (gzip files) with a GUI file manager. This is not hard, it's just in the terminal. It's actually quite easy and was a good article for a day when I wanted to not put a whole lot of time into it. Which means you get a fairly short article.

It seemed like a good idea for an article that wouldn't take too long. I even made an example.gz file for those who want to test it. (I didn't put anything special inside of said file. I probably should have.)

Another excellent article and will come in very handy.
m1212.gif

I used to convert Tar.gz files to .Deb files with alien to extract the Folder which does take a few steps but gunzip does it with only a few and works too.
m1211.gif

Good article, you mentioned gzip ( compressing the file ) but didn't give an example.

I don't know if you've done articles on tar or not....

make an archive cvf
extract an archive xvf

When I was first learning UNIX/Linux I would have given anything to know those commands.

Good article, you mentioned gzip ( compressing the file ) but didn't give an example.

Yeah, this one was intentionally short. So, I kept it pretty limited to just the subject, the extracting of the .gz files with gunzip.

Another excellent article and will come in very handy.
m1212.gif

Thanks. This one was short and easy. It was a Sunday evening and I was tired and not all that motivated. It's not always easy to find motivation, but the feedback I get helps with that. I like it when I make a mistake and learn something new.

I don't know if you've done articles on tar or not....

make an archive cvf
extract an archive xvf

Yeah, I've done a couple.

You're always invited to write an article. ;-)

Man, I just looked. There are 479 published articles as of right now. I've not missed a single publication date. There has been a new article every other day since the first article was published.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts