Today's article is just an off-topic article, a meta article about the state of Linux-Tips...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
I was pretty excited to write this one. I also know these articles aren't that popular (for good reason) as the technical articles. Still, it's an article about what's going on with the site, how it's progressing, and what comes out of the metrics.

As Saturday is my least active day, I saved this article for a Saturday. Most folks probably won't be too interested, but I think it's fun to examine the progress that's largely just a combination of luck, perseverance, and preparation.

I do love me some feedback. I'm not sure what folks can offer as feedback for this, but it's always welcomed.

I'll just add this here...

You know how I've mentioned my ability to type while completely drunk and how it causes problems?

Well, one of my favorite historic racing channels was showing an event here in the US. About 30 minutes from the end, people got stupid.

I decided it was my job to fix stupid, which is stupid in and of itself.

For example, they were claiming EVs could only race a half lap of the circuit (about 1.4 miles) which is stupid because we have EVs racing much further than that in Formula E.

Their stupidity went further...

Again, I saw it as my job to fix stupid and countered everything the stupid people said with facts. This was greatly appreciated - until I started swearing at the stupid people. I countered them with facts, but was very vulgar about it. My ability to counter stupid was worn thin!

Which is how I got banned from one of my favorite racing channels.

Even if you hate EVs, saying they could only do a half lap and that all races would be limited to a half lap is just plain stupid. Amusingly, another one tried to complain about the price - so I pointed out that a gas vehicle on the track (Ferrari 250 GTO) was worth 50 million USD, but they still complained. (Race cars are expensive. Imagine that?!?)

So...

I guess the moral is, don't learn to type drunk. It's a horrible skill and you'll eventually come to regret it.

This is wildly off topic, so this seemed like a fine place to add it. Heed my warning folks!

On a positive note, I had all sorts of people cheering me on. I'm not gonna listen to those ****ers again.

While you might not like that I optimize for Google, that’s where I get the majority of my traffic.
TBH, Google is the best ad company. So, no one would blame you for optimizing your website for it.
I’m thinking about making it pop up a notice when people visit, but that seems like it might be annoying.
Personally, I hate sudden popups, but it is better to do some experiments at least for a short period of time. I agree enabling popups at least till number of members grows up. :)

I agree enabling popups at least till number of members grows up. :)

I've been considering the experiments bit, but the idea of doing it until x-number of people sign up is intriguing. I suppose it'd be worth testing to see if the numbers do increase. I suspect they'd increase, but I've done zero testing of the popup feature.

Google is the best ad company.

Yup. Though I just let Google decide where to place the ads and how many to place. I figure they know more about it than I do. The site's traffic comes from Google. I get some traffic from here, but that pales in comparison to what I get from Google.

Latest posts