Today's article isn't going to benefit anyone here...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
That's my prediction. I predict that this will be a useless article for 99.999% of all desktop Linux users - and probably a similar percentage of Linux server users.

But, it was in my notes and the first half dozen articles that looked like they'd be fun to write were articles I'd already written. Finding a new subject gets harder and harder. I'm eventually going to have to do distro-specific types of articles, like this one technically is.

I'm sure those directions work with other distros, perhaps with some slight modifications, but they were in my notes under Ubuntu.

I'm gonna sound like I'm 10 years older than OP, but I haven't even seen a .rar file in almost a decade, let alone a multipart .rar file! You think that unrar can also handle coded rar files, providing you know the password?

I'm gonna sound like I'm 10 years older than OP, but I haven't even seen a .rar file in almost a decade, let alone a multipart .rar file! You think that unrar can also handle coded rar files, providing you know the password?
Yeah, it's not a very useful article - but it is an article! I don't even encounter rar files that often.

To add a password just use the -p flag to the command and it will ask you for the password.

A "filler" article?

Pretty much, yes. It was in my notes and I was done looking through my notes to find something I hadn't already covered. So, this was an 'easy' day. It's sort of like taking a day off - but not quite. You know like how you're not feeling it but you still go to the gym and maybe walk on the treadmill for a half hour. It was like that.

Weirdly, I lost two desktop computers in a single day. The first one had an unannounced SSD failure - which is my fault. I'd kept that SSD running for a long time. It's older and I had moved it forward from like three different devices. Then, I hit the power on the desktop in my study and nothing happened. No beep, no anything. It just won't boot. I suspect it's a power supply. It was powered on when I left it. It is off now, with no signal and no amount of fiddling with the power button helps.

I am way too lazy to worry about it today. I'll order a couple of replacements. I might even go with the refurb route, 'cause they're 'good enough' for anything I do.

It's weird to lose two devices all in one day. I will not be investing any time in repairing the devices. I'll remove one SSD and maybe place it in the system with the failed SSD while I wait for replacement devices. I haven't done a new desktop in a while, just new laptops.

Update: I got less lazy. I fricken love Linux. I simply swapped the drive to the other computer and it took some work but booted. I'd installed in UEFI mode, which had me skeptical, but I was still able to hit up the BIOS and set the replaced drive to boot.

The devices used entirely different hardware (but mostly Intel stuff). The original (that housed the working SSD) was moved to a computer with a dedicated graphics card. So, after messing with some EUFI settings I was able to get the device to boot.

I was alarmed at first, as not even the F12 menu allowed me to boot to the 'new' SSD. I went in, gave it a name (it was already pointed at it) and saved the changes. The next boot showed the boot logo and all was well. But, it's a Mint system and I'm a Lubuntu kinda guy. So, that'll get changed shortly. For now, I'm back on a desktop 'cause writing articles (or any long text) on a laptop kinda sucks.

This is great for old media of shareware and retro games. Lots of abandonware and stuff like that has been uploaded to places in such formats.

This is great for old media of shareware and retro games. Lots of abandonware and stuff like that has been uploaded to places in such formats.

Ah, I hadn't thought of that. I suppose some of those would use multi-part .rar files.

So, it might be useful for slightly more than the three people I estimated, which is nice.

Members online