Today's thread has you benchmarking your system...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
You'll be using Geekbench 5 to benchmark your Linux box. This isn't as hard as one might think.

Feedback is awesome.

Also, if you want to benchmark your box and post it for bragging rights, we can allow some off-topic in this thread. I'm kinda curious about who has the slowest device but still gets a satisfactory experience with Linux. I imagine others might be interested in how high they can ring the bell.

So, feel free, nay - encouraged, to share your results.

You should have added how to compile a Linux kernel so that you then could run the benchmark while your system is compiling ;)

Hmm... I could do an article about compiling the kernel. I haven't needed to compile my own kernel in ages.

Does anyone still do that? Well, Gentoo and LFS folks still do it.

Heck, is there really any benefit from compiling your own kernel these days? I know you used to be able to get some benefits from doing things like specifying how many CPU threads you had.

It isn't about compiling the kernel but to see how much effect a compiling kernel would have on a running benchmark. I normally don't but I have tried a couple of custom kernels but then I just use the AUR PKGBUILD to build it so I don't really have to do anything, except wait.

how much effect a compiling kernel would have on a running benchmark.

Well, I think we can safely say, "A lot."

I did think about making a VM and then lowering the resources it has until it barely runs so that I could see how few resources I could use with a modern distro.

I could tie in the benchmarking with that.

Alas, that's not on the list of things to do today. I have to do something shorter, 'cause I'm actually out of articles. I usually have scheduled articles, but right now there's nothing in the queue.

Members online