Solved Translation, please.(Help with a procedure)

Solved issue

Tolkem

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, everyone! Hope you're all having a nice life! :)
So, I've been trying to do this https://www.computerbytes.co.nz/blog/unbricking-a-tp-link-router/ (instructions function as a TP-Link firmware recovery utility, for when your TP-Link router is bricked) for the last couple of days, but I'm lost to be honest, the procedure in that link implies using a TFTP server. I installed tftpd-hpa and tftp pkgs. Problem is, they explain using a GUI (for windows, Tftpd64) but so far I haven't found anything like that for Linux, I did download FileZilla, would that work? I gave it a go, but have no idea what or how to do what I'm supposed to. If any of you guys know of such a program ... I'm basically stuck on how to check whether something is happening. Oh, and I followed instructions from here on "how to install and configure TFTP server" https://linuxhint.com/install_tftp_server_ubuntu/ Are those instructions fine? I mean, the TFTP server is running:
Bash:
systemctl status tftpd-hpa
● tftpd-hpa.service - LSB: HPA's tftp server
     Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/tftpd-hpa; generated)
     Active: active (running) since Tue 2023-09-26 19:11:38 -04; 4h 45min ago
       Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
    Process: 800 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/tftpd-hpa start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
      Tasks: 1 (limit: 9238)
     Memory: 628.0K
        CPU: 13ms
     CGroup: /system.slice/tftpd-hpa.service
             └─838 /usr/sbin/in.tftpd --listen --user tftp --address :69 --secure --create /tftp

sep 26 19:11:38 neon systemd[1]: Starting LSB: HPA's tftp server...
sep 26 19:11:38 neon tftpd-hpa[800]:  * Starting HPA's tftpd in.tftpd
sep 26 19:11:38 neon tftpd-hpa[800]:    ...done.
sep 26 19:11:38 neon systemd[1]: Started LSB: HPA's tftp server.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)

G'day Hornet - I am not a networking guru, but name and model number on the TP-Link router might help someone.

Good luck

Wiz

G'day Hornet - I am not a networking guru, but name and model number on the TP-Link router might help someone.

Good luck

Wiz
Thanks wizard, you too! The router is a tp-link ac750 (archer c20). Oh, and I'm on KDE Neon.

I used the title from the page you linked to use as a search term at Google. I added "+Linux" to that and there appear to be some guides for doing this on Linux, including at least one video guide.

That may make it easier.

I used the title from the page you linked to use as a search term at Google. I added "+Linux" to that and there appear to be some guides for doing this on Linux, including at least one video guide.

That may make it easier.
Good thinking! It didn't occur to me to do that. I only searched for "TFTP server GUI + Linux" but didn't find anything. Will try that. Thanks man!

I always look at things a bit different but TP Link routers are not high end nor expensive to replace. Perhaps instead of spending countless hours on it, might just be worth it to purchase a $60 router and just replace it with something you know works.

However I wonder what you were doing that "bricked" it. makes a difference in what you might do either attempt repair or purchase new. If you tell me what you are trying to do that caused the issue I can direct you far better.

I always look at things a bit different but TP Link routers are not high end nor expensive to replace. Perhaps instead of spending countless hours on it, might just be worth it to purchase a $60 router and just replace it with something you know works.

However I wonder what you were doing that "bricked" it. makes a difference in what you might do either attempt repair or purchase new. If you tell me what you are trying to do that caused the issue I can direct you far better.
I did nothing. The router was given to me "as is". I have another one, which is the one I use. Also, it's not entirely "bricked", it works, but I can't access the web admin page nor the Wi-Fi network because the people who gave it to me "as is" didn't remember any of those details. The reset button doesn't work either. So I found that post and thought to give it a try and see how it goes.

I did nothing. The router was given to me "as is". I have another one, which is the one I use. Also, it's not entirely "bricked", it works, but I can't access the web admin page nor the Wi-Fi network because the people who gave it to me "as is" didn't remember any of those details. The reset button doesn't work either. So I found that post and thought to give it a try and see how it goes.
I think that in the grand scheme of things it would be cheaper and easier all around to get a new router. I sell them locally for $60 so I expect similar prices near you and just save lots of time.

But if you want the learning experience then you are on the right track but keep in mind that you may fail. And you will learn from that also. Filezilla does not support tftp you will need something else. I program Cisco routers and use putty to get them started then switch to the Cisco management programs. I did check and linux has a CLI tftp you may need to install it. It is actually called TFTP and you will have to look into the manual pages to use it. You will need to make sure that the router has TFTP enabled then follow directions from the router mfg for the rest.

So I found that post and thought to give it a try and see how it goes.

That's pretty much the best reason ever. "Well, I saw it there and figured why not?"

I fully support tinkering. It's a great path to growth and understanding.

I sell them locally for $60 so I expect similar prices near you and just save lots of time.
Actually, that same model is on sale for $34 in a local store near here.

I sell them locally for $60 so I expect similar prices near you and just save lots of time.

Just a LOL on that - you are from Alaska, and the OP is from South America, but I am glad to hear @Tolkem has such an inexpensive option (relative, I guess, to his currency)?

Cheers

Wiz

Just a LOL on that - you are from Alaska, and the OP is from South America, but I am glad to hear @Tolkem has such an inexpensive option (relative, I guess, to his currency)?

Cheers

Wiz
Yeah. Check it out:
1695904771581.png

Woohoo! I did it! It was easier than I thought, but had to do a couple of things that weren't clear enough, at least not for me. Also, I ended up installing OpenWrt firmware because the one from tp-link wouldn't work as expected, while the one from OpenWrt just did like a charm. :)
For those interested, I used this guide: https://www2.rigacci.org/wiki/doku.php/doc/appunti/hardware/tl-ac750_archer_c20v5
A couple of notes: These things might be something people in the know are just aware of, but I wasn't:
1. Make sure no cable is connected to the WAN port, that means, the router shouldn't be connected to the internet, otherwise this won't work. (I know, I tried several times lol)
2. Disconnect the cable from the LAN port, turn off the router (or vice versa, order doesn't matter, thing is the router must be off, and no cable should be on the LAN port) now connect the cable back to the LAN port, press the reset button, power the router back on while pressing the reset button for about 10 seconds, release the reset button.
Another thing, whatever it is you do, don't modify the /etc/default/tftpd-hpa just leave the defaults, that'll work. That was something that prevented me from doing it, too, because most guides/posts I found said different things and suggested different configurations and that was driving me crazy, so I decided to just leave the defaults: basically just move/copy the file (firmware) to /srv/tftp and refrain from adding whatever crazy stuff you read. For example, one guide I read said to add "--secure --secure" and another recommended creating a different TFTP directory, none of that works! None! Defaults do. :)
Thanks for your replies, wonderful people! :)

I've only got as far as

Woohoo! I did it!

and I'll give you a round of applause.

Next I'll go back and read the rest.

Good one, Mate ;)

Wiz

Excellent.

What do you think of the OpenWRT?

I once set up a router with tomato and it had a weird bug where I'd have to reboot it once a week or so. Still, it had some easy configurations, especially with MAC address filtering.

What do you think of the OpenWRT?
Well, I basically just installed it, so will need more time and use to give any objective opinion, but so far so good :)

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts