Troubleshooting Festival progam on Linux

Nao57

Reaction score
Credits
What other programs do you need to have installed already for Festival to run on Linux? (I'm using Mint...) So when you go to install Festival it doesn't say anything about needing other programs, and my festival wasn't working.

For reference; this came up from this link -->

So this means... probably there's a list of other programs you need installed as pre-requisites for this 'Festival' (text to speech) program to run? But it doesn't tell you that when you go to install.

Thanks if anyone can reply to this.

What other programs do you need to have installed already for Festival to run on Linux? (I'm using Mint...) So when you go to install Festival it doesn't say anything about needing other programs, and my festival wasn't working.

For reference; this came up from this link -->

So this means... probably there's a list of other programs you need installed as pre-requisites for this 'Festival' (text to speech) program to run? But it doesn't tell you that when you go to install.

Thanks if anyone can reply to this.
Hey there! Festival is a cool text-to-speech program for Linux, dude. In order to get it up and running on Linux Mint (or any other Linux distribution), there are a few dependencies you need to have installed, man.

The main dependencies for Festival are:

1. C++ compiler (gcc): Festival is written in C++ and needs a C++ compiler to build and run properly.
2. ALSA library: This is the library used for audio support in Linux. Festival needs ALSA to work with audio devices.
3. Libsndfile library: This library is used for audio file I/O in Festival.
4. Libx11 library: Festival uses X11 for some of its graphical features.

To install these dependencies on Linux Mint, you can use the package manager, man. Open a terminal and type the following commands:

Code:
sudo apt update
sudo apt install build-essential
sudo apt install libasound2-dev
sudo apt install libsndfile1-dev
sudo apt install libx11-dev

Once you've installed these dependencies, you should be good to go, dude! Give Festival another shot and it should work just fine. If you need any more help, feel free to ask. Stay groovy!

Thank you for the reply and help.

I tried installing the things you listed. But the program still won't run. Is there something else I can try to make it work? What do you suggest next to try to fix the Festival program?

Also does it matter where I get the source code for the Festival program from? Meaning are some downloads or source areas more compatible or more ideal than others?

Thank you for the reply and help.

I tried installing the things you listed. But the program still won't run. Is there something else I can try to make it work? What do you suggest next to try to fix the Festival program?

Also does it matter where I get the source code for the Festival program from? Meaning are some downloads or source areas more compatible or more ideal than others?
Bummer, dude! Sorry to hear that Festival still isn't working for you. Let's see if we can figure this out, man.

If the dependencies are all installed correctly, there might be a few other things you can try:

1. Make sure you have the Festival package installed, either from the official repository or from the website of the Festival project.
2. Double-check that you have downloaded the correct version of Festival that is compatible with your Linux Mint distribution, dude. Sometimes using an incompatible version can cause issues.
3. Try running Festival from the command line and see if any error messages pop up. Open a terminal and type "festival" to start it. If there's an error message, it might give us a clue on what's going wrong.
4. If you downloaded the source code, try building and installing it again, man. Sometimes the build process can be a bit finicky, and a reinstallation might do the trick.

As for the source code, it's generally best to get it from the official Festival website or from the official repository for your Linux distribution. That way, you can be sure you're getting a stable and compatible version. Other sources might not be as reliable, dude.

If all else fails, you could try reaching out to the Festival community for help. They might have some specific troubleshooting steps or solutions for your particular issue. Good luck, man! I hope we can get Festival up and rocking for you soon.

WOW! You are amazing!

You got it to work for me. Thank you, thank you, thank you. This program is very helpful also for learning and time efficiency.

WOW! You are amazing!

You got it to work for me. Thank you, thank you, thank you. This program is very helpful also for learning and time efficiency.
Stoked to hear that, dude! I'm really glad I could help you get Festival up and running. It's a rad program that can definitely enhance your learning and save you time. Enjoy exploring everything Festival has to offer, and if you have any more questions or need further assistance, feel free to hit me up. Stay groovy and happy learning!

I have another question. How do I configure changing the voices in the text to speech reader? And how do I set up using it for swedish language'? Or some other languages?

I have another question. How do I configure changing the voices in the text to speech reader? And how do I set up using it for swedish language'? Or some other languages?
Awesome, dude! Configuring different voices and setting up Festival for different languages is totally doable. Let's dive right in!

To change the voice in Festival, you need to modify the configuration file called festival.scm. Here's what you can do:

1. Open a terminal, and navigate to the Festival directory. Usually, it's located at /etc/festival/.
2. Make a backup of the original festival.scm file, just in case.
3. Open festival.scm using a text editor: sudo nano festival.scm.
4. Scroll down until you find the section where voices are defined. They're usually listed as (voice_{voice_name}).
5. Uncomment the voice you want to use by removing the semicolon ; at the beginning of the line.
6. Save the file and exit the text editor.

Once you've selected the desired voice, you can use it when running Festival by specifying the voice name. For example, to use the "awb" voice, you can run Festival like this:

festival --tts --voice awb

Now, regarding setting up Festival for Swedish or other languages, you might need to install additional language-specific voices and dictionaries. These additional components are often available as separate packages. To install them, you can search for the appropriate packages in the package manager for your Linux distribution, man. For Swedish, you might need to look for something like festival-swedish or festival-sv package.

Once you've installed the language-specific components, you can use the voices and dictionaries corresponding to that language by following the previous steps and modifying the festival.scm file.

Keep in mind that the availability of different voices and languages may depend on the Festival version and the specific packages provided by your Linux distribution.

I hope this helps you configure Festival to suit your needs, whether it's changing voices or setting up different languages. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Happy voice modulation and language exploration, dude!

How do I see what languages the 'festival' program already does and already supports?

How do I see what languages the 'festival' program already does and already supports?
To check the languages that the Festival program already supports, you can use the festvox-voices command, man. This command will list all the available voices for Festival and the corresponding languages. Here's how you can do it:

1. Open a terminal.
2. Type the following command:
Code:
   festvox-voices

This will display a list of voices and their associated languages, indicating which languages the Festival program already supports.

Additionally, you can also check the Festival documentation or visit the Festival website for more information about supported languages and available voices. They usually provide detailed language and voice documentation to help you explore the full potential of Festival.

I hope this helps you discover the available languages supported by Festival. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask. Good luck with your linguistic adventures, dude!

It looks like everything worked out. This program can do at the minimum English, Spanish, and Swedish. Haven't tested Italian but it has voices for Italian. The help by you guys checked out and worked for me. This is a good program. Thanks.

One minor bug; when you try to open the software manager in Linux, it makes it look like Festival doesn't work there, because it doesn't open up something for you to look at. The program only began working when opening and running it from the Terminal for some reason. I don't mind that's good enough for me, but I wanted to post the result here for when someone else comes along with the same problem that I had.

Problem solved.

It looks like everything worked out. This program can do at the minimum English, Spanish, and Swedish. Haven't tested Italian but it has voices for Italian. The help by you guys checked out and worked for me. This is a good program. Thanks.

One minor bug; when you try to open the software manager in Linux, it makes it look like Festival doesn't work there, because it doesn't open up something for you to look at. The program only began working when opening and running it from the Terminal for some reason. I don't mind that's good enough for me, but I wanted to post the result here for when someone else comes along with the same problem that I had.

Problem solved.
That's awesome to hear, dude! I'm stoked that Festival is working well for you and supporting multiple languages. It's a versatile program that can be super helpful.

Thanks for sharing the heads-up about the issue with the software manager. It seems like there might be a glitch that prevents it from launching Festival correctly from there. Opening and running Festival from the Terminal is a solid workaround, man. Your input will definitely be helpful for other users who might encounter the same problem.

If you have any more questions or run into any other Linux-related issues in the future, don't hesitate to reach out. I'm here to help. Keep rocking with Festival and enjoy your text-to-speech journey!

Members online