Trying to install Linux on a new SSD (Solved)

gillsman

Reaction score
Credits
My wife's desktop pc shows signs that the ageing hard drive could be failing so I have bought a new SSD (Crucial BX500 240GB)
I have physically installed it & checked in bios to make sure it's regonised which it is. I booted from a memory stick with a live Linux mint Cinammon 21.2 which loaded up fine, I clicked on "Install Linux Mint" and the logo just spins round & round with no sign of the installation process starting, almost as if it couldn't find any storage to install it to but I have already verified that it shows in bios "hard drive CTBX500240" so what's going on here, have I missed something??

Additional info, after nearly 20 minutes the install screen has appeared but it says "you are installing in manufacturer mode, enter a unique name"
I have done that & selected my keyboard layout (English UK) and again I have the spinning logo, currently been going for 5 minutes, I don't know if it will go through the whole process like this or if indeed I will get any further but this is surly not normal.

Sounds like the SSD may have a hidden partition at the beginning [re-format complete drive to ex-fats], or you have a bad installation USB [test in another machine]

More info:
I have read about integrated peripheral configuration in bios under advanced
it suggests it should be ACHI but the only options I have are Advanced, Compatible or Disabled
Any thoughts on this please?

Just a thought.. if the machine was sold with W8.2 or higher check that both secure-boot and windows quick-start are disabled.

Sounds like the SSD may have a hidden partition at the beginning [re-format complete drive to ex-fats], or you have a bad installation USB [test in another machine]
The usb with Linux on has recently installed fine on my laptop. As for reformating the SSD, can I do that from the live usb?

yes using g-parted

The usb with Linux on has recently installed fine on my laptop. As for reformating the SSD, can I do that from the live usb?
For reformatting alone (without installing an operating system, where reformatting is naturally part of the process) you're better off with GParted live instead, as it's designed to partition hard drives.

So the short answer is yes.

As far as your main issue is concerned, you could try a different distro as a last resort. Mint works just fine in my experience, but sometimes operating systems have issues with specific hardware for unclear reasons.

as you have a machine running Mint, what I would do would be, connect the ssd to the working machine using a usb-SATA cable and re-format the SSD using the Mint USB formatter it has never failed for me,[ but I have so many different connection cables and adaptors from my repairing days]

as you have a machine running Mint, what I would do would be, connect the ssd to the working machine using a usb-SATA cable and re-format the SSD using the Mint USB formatter it has never failed for me,[ but I have so many different connection cables and adaptors from my repairing days]
Ok I would have to buy a usb to sata adapter to do that so I will try other options first. I'll see if I can format it with gparted on the live usb first and maybe I'll try a different distro too. Should I format to ext4?

I've formatted to exfat this is what I now have

Attachments

• IMG_20240112_124508.jpg
    IMG_20240112_124508.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 147
you can do that when you install the Linux distribution, [I format new drives to either ex-fats or fats 32 for first time use but again that is me]

exfat this is what I now have
you have only done one partition you need to do the complete SSD so it only shows 1 partition [note ? on first partition this is the hidden one what is causing the problem

I thought I was formatting the whole drive, not sure what I did wrong. I will try again and post back

did you say your in the UK? Where a bouts [BBC tv region will give me enough of a clue]

that a bugger you a bit too far away from me to physical help [ I used to live in Kent now in the east midlands tv area ]

I thought I was formatting the whole drive, not sure what I did wrong. I will try again and post back
First, delete the existing partitions, then create a new one (whole disk) and format.

Oh right, yes I am in Kent, never mind. Thank you for your fantastic continued support anyway, hopefully I will get there eventually. For now I've got to do other stuff so I'll get back on it in an hour or so and post back if that's ok with you

I think this looks ok now, I've now got the normal installation screen, I'm at the keyboard layout bit but it's still taking forever to get past that stage, I'll just leave it for a while and see what happens

Attachments

• SSD.jpg
    SSD.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 74

Members online