Ubuntu boot errors

Ok, thanks. I don't have Timeshift installed on my machine.
I have a question: if I uninstall/reinstall Ubuntu to factory state, my problems will logically be solved. Because I've been doing a lot of testing, changing, uninstalling and reinstalling third-party services/packages in a lot of different ways, and I think that's what's been causing me all my problems (removing packages that are useful for the system to work properly, for example?). So I'd like some advice on the best way to do it (a clean install), and if there's any software/services I should install/configure for better security (iptables, ufw/firewalld, clamonacc/OnAccessScan, fail2ban, rkhunter/chkrootkit, timeshift...)? Thank you very much for your help.
You're welcome and thanks for the information....much appreciated.

With all of the testing and so fourth that you made to the system, I'm inclined to say that a fresh installation is wise.

In order to have a successful fresh installation you'll need to prepare ahead of time.
This way there won't be any surprises when the partition manager and installer do their jobs.

Know the architecture of your computer. Is it 32-bit or a 64-bit machine?

Verify your Ubuntu Linux .iso after the download completes.
If the signatures don't match then you haven't loaded up a USB or CD/DVD with a corrupt .iso image.

*Use Etcher or Ventoy to make your USB bootable-

Once your new Ubuntu installation finishes reboot. At the first fresh boot I recommend doing only one thing first.
*Update the system and reboot again.

**Install Timeshift and go through the set up to take the first snapshot of your freshly installed system.
You might want to tell Timeshift to place the snapshots on an external drive instead of the drive you just performed the fresh install on. Timeshift can take up a lot of room depending on how frequently you have it scheduled to take snapshots.
--Over time you can run into your system complaining that the disk is out of space.--

**UFW is a good security measure to set up. By default is disabled so see the link here:

I used rkhunter in the past and it returned false positives on my systems. Over time rkhunter never found anything that was a trreat. I don't use it any longer. I would personally trust Selinux more than any program for intrusion protection. Selinux is more complex to use so maybe give AppArmor a spin.
Other members may have other ideas:-

Here is a good read on chrootkit if you want to use it:

I don't use fail2ban (for servers) or On Access Scan so perhaps @wizardfromoz and @Condobloke can elaborate on those daemons.

HTH

Alex

Welcome to the Forum.
m0135.gif

If I was having this much trouble I'd try another Distro like Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.3.
m0117.gif

So I'd like some advice on the best way to do it (a clean install),.....YES.

and if there's any software/services I should install/configure for better security (iptables, ufw/firewalld, clamonacc/OnAccessScan, fail2ban, rkhunter/chkrootkit, timeshift.. NO....... THE ONLY ONE I USE OUT OF ALL THESE IS FIREWALLD....(see below why I use it)

(SORRY ABOUT THE CAPITALS....I only used them to make what i typed stand out.

Linux is not windows. And the reverse is also true.
Windows requires/demands a plethora of antivirus/anti malware etc etc apps to stay clean.....and even then it still has the highest infection rate of any OS. It is a prime target for malware developers AND THOSE WHO DROP NASTIES VIA EMAIL ETC

Having said that, I am not saying that Linux is immune. It can be infected. But...if you go looking on linuxmint.com and Linux.org (here) I will not hold my breath while you find and actual infection in a Linux OS.
Just for the record, I have been running Linux Mint (Cinnamon) since around 2014/2015....no Av, Anti Malware etc etc etc.
I use firewalld for my systems firewall, in its default state.....and I use the 'uncomplicated firewall' (which comes already installed but not activated) in conjunction with a VPN which used the uncomplicated firewall's nftables ...That is all. No scans, nothing to slow the system down. I am fastidious about my browser and my email.

If a malware etc is going to gain entry, it will either be via the browser or via a link etc in an email

If both are secure and properly attended to, the risk is almost zero......that also depends on you...staying the hell away from nefarious sites. Common sense, really.
Just for the record, I use brave browser, and thunderbird email client to route emails from gmail. (I am working on getting rid of gmail !....although gmail can be surprisingly secure.....it seems to take some of its cues from the end user.....in this case Thunderbird and me.)

Whatever you install is up to you. I prefer Linux Mint 21.3 over Ubuntu. I see more Ubuntu problems here than I do Linux Mint. Most of them seem to involve problems with no sound/no wifi etc etc in ubuntu. It does happen in Linux Mint as well, but it would appear to be not so often.

When you finish the install...follow @Alexzee' advice up above.....use Timeshift to take a snapshot...especially after you have updated.
Having an external drive to store the Timeshift snapshots is preferable to storing them on the main drive. We can tell you more when the time is appropriate.

I know you want to get this right...we all do. However....don't overthink it. Keep it simple.

More helpful instructions:

In the Ubiquity installer, choose erase disk and install Ubuntu. Boot into your new install.
1. Run sudo apt update
2. sudo apt install ufw inxi timeshift
3. Open your terminal and run an inxi -Fxz output to check for EFI references. And, any additional drives for Timeshift snapshots

Please use Google Translate to show what your terminal outputs reveal before posting.

Hello. Sorry for the late reply. I think I'll install Linux Mint Cinnamon instead of Ubuntu by tomorrow. I'm doing a few more small tests with iptables and other software before reinstalling Mint. I'll keep you posted when I'm under my new OS.

Hello. Sorry for the late reply. I think I'll install Linux Mint Cinnamon instead of Ubuntu by tomorrow. I'm doing a few more small tests with iptables and other software before reinstalling Mint. I'll keep you posted when I'm under my new OS.
Thanks for the update.

Re. The installation went well, everything works great, I made my configuration as I wished, thank you all for your help.
I no longer have any errors or problems (with my sound, for example, which was constantly crackling under Ubuntu). Thanks a lot!

Hi! I'm a new Ubuntu user (I'm just starting out), and after spending hours and hours configuring my system, I noticed that my PC was taking much longer to shut down (not even 5 seconds at first, compared with over two minutes now). I asked some AIs, and they advised me to use the following command to list the various errors since my last boot: journalctl -rb 0 -p 0..3
Here's the output I got:
mars 25 20:12:17 gybbs gdm-launch-environment][895]: GLib-GObject: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
mars 25 20:12:15 gybbs systemd[1396]: Failed to start Application launched by gnome-session-binary.
mars 25 20:12:15 gybbs systemd[1396]: Failed to start Application launched by gnome-session-binary.
mars 25 20:12:14 gybbs gdm-password][1379]: gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file
mars 25 20:10:52 gybbs pulseaudio[948]: Module module-bluetooth-discover not loaded.
mars 25 20:10:52 gybbs pulseaudio[948]: Module module-bluetooth-policy not loaded.
mars 25 20:10:52 gybbs gnome-session-binary[980]: GLib-GIO-CRITICAL: g_bus_get_sync: assertion 'error == NULL || *error == NULL' failed
mars 25 20:10:52 gybbs gnome-session-binary[980]: GLib-GIO-CRITICAL: g_bus_get_sync: assertion 'error == NULL || *error == NULL' failed

Does anyone know how to fix these problems? And please explain them to me! ^^'

Thanks for your help (and sorry if the topic is in the wrong category)!
Do You meet Or exceed the minimum requirements

Re. The installation went well, everything works great, I made my configuration as I wished, thank you all for your help.
I no longer have any errors or problems (with my sound, for example, which was constantly crackling under Ubuntu). Thanks a lot!
Did you install Ubuntu or Linux Mint?

Members online

Latest posts