Ubuntu ISO

Scuppernong

Reaction score
Credits
Hi,

I have noticed some weird behaviour with Ubuntu ISO that I downloaded and wanted to double check if it's by design or there's something weird going on with my ISO. Using Ubuntu 18.04, I have downloaded Ubuntu 22.04 ISO from the official Ubuntu website as well as checked the checksum of the image and it all matches up. I then proceeded to burn the said ISO file using dd command onto my SanDisk Cruzer Blade USB. I'm not sure why but once dd completed the session, 2 the same partitions with the same names have popped up in the file explorer which confuses me. Both are named something like Ubuntu 22.04 LTS x64.

When I clicked on the first partition, it throws up an error with a partition that doesn't even exist on my USB, for example lets say my USB is \dev\sdb with partitions sdb1 and sdb2, the said partition was referencing sdb3 that didn't existed therefore resulting in an error. When I clicked on the second partition, it opened all the files that were burned onto my USB. I noticed that after burning Ubuntu 22.04 ISO, it's all in ISO 9660 format with only one partition being visible in GPARTED but when I check it in the Ubuntu 18.04 file explorer it somehow lists 2 of them, does ISO 9660 format contain more partitions within itself or am I missing something ? I'm confused at the moment as I'm trying to determine if my ISO file is somehow dodgy or not.

I'm also surprised that there are 2 Ubuntu 22.04 partitions placed onto a USB\ISO file as previous versions of Ubuntu only had 1 when you checked the file explorer known as Nautilus in Ubuntu.

Help is much appreciated.

Good call, @kghose :)

@Scuppernong a belated welcome to linux.org.

Are you able to show us the exact syntax of the dd command you used? You should be able to get it from your 'buntu 18.04 Terminal with the up arrow to scroll through the command history.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

I then proceeded to burn the said ISO file using dd command onto my SanDisk Cruzer Blade USB.
The Ubuntu ISOs are intended to be cloned or written to your installation media device (ie. the device itself, not a partition on the device)... I wonder if your dd command is incorrect for the Ubuntu ISOs you're trying to use; but you didn't give the dd command which is where you likely made a mistake (what u/kghose already highlighted)

If you want to put multiple Ubuntu (or other ISOs intended to be written to the whole device) you'll need to create and use your own bootloader on the thumb-drive (and not use what was on the ISOs you downloaded as they weren't intended to be used in that way) where your bootloader asks you wish you want to boot & then passes control to the appropriate ISO. Some tools do this, eg. Ventoy is a pretty easy tool to use in this way if you're not familiar any.

sudo dd if="./ubunntu-22.04.4-desktop-amd64.iso" of="/dev/sdb1" status="progress" conv="fsync""

It can't be a partition on the drive, it has to be the "entire" disk.

It can't be /dev/sdb1 , it has to be /dev/sdb
This should be a USB drive preferably.
The drive needs to be at least 4GB.

The drive will temporarily be resized to the size of the iso image ( a little over 2GB )
But after Linux is installed, you can re-format the USB drive back to the full size.

This doesn't install Linux to the drive. It installs the Linux "installer" to the disk.
You still have to install Linux after you create this disk.

Last edited:
I am hoping that that is a typo, two posts above.

Let's call it /dev/sdX for convenience, as the alpha character may differ.

If you use /dev/sdXY, where Y is a partition number, dd will run though the process in very short time (not the usual 5 - 10 minutes), and complete, with no error, but then when you try to boot with it, it will not work.

So just dd to the device, not to the partition.

That is why I asked my question of the OP at #3

Cheers

Wizard

It can't be a partition on the drive, it has to be the "entire" disk
Well yes it can if you want to add persistence to it or you want to add encryption to your persistence after persistence is added you then add another partition for encryption
cryptsetup --verify-passphrase luksFormat /dev/sdb2
then open it by cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sdb2 live
next is to fill the system with zeros before creating the file system - dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mapper/live
no make the file system with persistence mkfs.ext4 -L persistence /dev/mapper/live
then mount it, then make the persistence.conf file then unmount it
created an encryption capable live system, which can be copied to a usb stick. We have also created an encrypted partition, which can be located in the same usb stick to carry it around and we have configured the encrypted partition to be used as persistence store.

For full instruction see here - https://live-team.pages.debian.net/...l/customizing-run-time-behaviours.en.html#556

Well yes it can if you want to add persistence to it or you want to add encryption to your persistence after persistence is added you then add another partition for encryption
cryptsetup --verify-passphrase luksFormat /dev/sdb2
then open it by cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sdb2 live
next is to fill the system with zeros before creating the file system - dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mapper/live
no make the file system with persistence mkfs.ext4 -L persistence /dev/mapper/live
then mount it, then make the persistence.conf file then unmount it
created an encryption capable live system, which can be copied to a usb stick. We have also created an encrypted partition, which can be located in the same usb stick to carry it around and we have configured the encrypted partition to be used as persistence store.

It sounds to me, like this is the installer "lite" version. Not a full Linux install.
Especially if the filesystem is called "/dev/mapper/live".

The luks and the zero'ing wouldn't make any difference as far as the install goes.

Yep this is only for persistence if you so desire

No..
The installer iso doesn't have all the repos. It only has a bare minimum of packages.
The home directory is very small. If you are using the lite installer version, you are missing
some repos. ( You can add some of them by hand )

This is so you can install the full Linux distro. In fact, it's the opposite of persistence, it lets you upgrade,
change, and install more packages.

Members online