Unable to Locate Package Cupp

ModifyInc

Reaction score
Credits
I don't know if this is specific to Kali Linux Live or Linux in general, so I'm posting here while still waiting for a moderator to approve my post in the Kali forum.

I just installed Kali Linux Live (4GB and also tried the everything 12GB) iso onto a USB drive. I can boot into Kali with no issues, but every time I try to install cupp, I get E: Unable to locate package cupp. So I guess this means the 12GB-everything iso does not include cupp. The command sudo get update seems to complete successfully, though it always gives a message at the end, what I assume is a warning: W: Conflicting distributions: file:/run/live/medium kali-last-snapshot Release (expected kali-last-snapshot but got kali-rolling). If I continue with installing the updates, most of the updates fail to install, and of course, I still cannot install cupp.

From my limited knowledge of Linux, I should still be able to install apps and updates, they will just disappear after a restart, unless using persistence, correct? So what might be causing these issues? I have tried two different USB drives, and tried the 2023.3 and 2023.2 Live images with and without persistence, and they all have the same issue.

Is this like Reddit where you get an auto generated response that may or may not be helpful? In this case, not very helpful, since I know what the app does. Would still like to know why I can't install all the updates and why I get the warning: W: Conflicting distributions: file:/run/live/medium kali-last-snapshot Release (expected kali-last-snapshot but got kali-rolling), assuming that is part of the issue.

Is this like Reddit where you get an auto generated response
That is not very helpful either....especially when you have aimed it a Linux.org Moderator
Just so you know, there is no such thing as an auto response on Linux.org
Conflicting distributions: file:/run/live/medium kali-last-snapshot Release (expected kali-last-snapshot but got kali-rolling
That is your problem. That will be why updates failed etc etc etc

it does stand out that yiour experience with Linux in general is lacking.....so....trying to get Kali up and running will be a challenge that you are probably not ready for....yet

I know absolute zero about Kali, so I will comment no further.

Someone with more knowledge than me will come along. Bear in mind that this site covers the globe and is therefore subject to many different time zones.

Have a read, so that you know the pitfalls of Kali

I will mention a few member's names who may be able to assist. You do not need to do anything....they will be notified of your topic's presence.

@Brickwizard

@osprey

@f33dm3bits

@KGIII

Maybe:

1]If you are not an experienced Linux user, you should not even be trying to use Kali.
2] only install applications and "Tools" from the Kali [or Kali approved]repositories, otherwise they may not work or worse still bulk your system
try. sudo apt update && sudo apt install cupp

so I'm posting here while still waiting for a moderator to approve my post in the Kali forum.
Good luck with that, it could be a while, oh and they don't very often answer newbie questions

I don't really care for Kali topics reasons...this one being another example why I hate Kali topics. But on distributions using apt you can install "apt-file" then use "apt-file search keyword" to find which package provides. If you have a live usb of Kali and then use apt to install something it will be gone next time you boot again because live iso aren't persistent unless you setup persistent storage.

Looking at the live kali images when you boot it does have a persistence option when you boot.
Screenshot from 2023-10-24 10-08-26.png

"cupp is available on Kali"
Code:
apt-file search cupp
cupp: /etc/cupp.cfg                     
cupp: /usr/bin/cupp
cupp: /usr/share/cupp/cupp.py
cupp: /usr/share/doc/cupp/changelog.Debian.gz
cupp: /usr/share/doc/cupp/changelog.gz
cupp: /usr/share/doc/cupp/copyright
cupp: /usr/share/man/man1/cupp.1.gz
cupp: /usr/share/python3/runtime.d/cupp.rtupdate
cupp3: /usr/bin/cupp3
cupp3: /usr/share/doc/cupp3/changelog.Debian.gz
cupp3: /usr/share/doc/cupp3/changelog.gz
cupp3: /usr/share/doc/cupp3/copyright
cupp3: /usr/share/man/man1/cupp3.1.gz
Most likely as @Brickwizard already mentioned the sources on the live iso are not updated, so you need to update them. I just tested that myself by booting from the live kali iso, updated sources(sudo apt update) and then cupp was available. Just use Ubuntu or Mint if this is your first time using Linux.

Members online

Latest posts