Solved VLC crashing, anyone else having this problem today?

Solved issue

Terminal Velocity

Reaction score
Credits
When I double click a movie file it opens normally but when I try to forward or do any other action with the controllers it closes immediately.

I uninstall it from GUI, restart the computer, and reinstall it again from GUI... All the same like before

I didn't notice any updates today... What might be the problem?

no problems with VLC, here

Which OS and version are you running

I am on LM21.3 cinnamon

VLC version 3.0.16 Vetinari

Downloaded from Software Manager

open VLC

Click on Help....then on About

Is that downloaded from a repository in Debian ?

(I am unfamiliar with debians layout)

Yes it is downloaded from ''debian-oldstable-security-main''

Updated 27/06/2024 (dd/mm/yyyy) ... today that is. Don't update until it is fixed

Perhaps the update will fix it ?

It is possible that some other unrelated uipdate has caused the problem.....and that vlc have released the update date 27th June to fix it ?

It is possible that some other unrelated uipdate has caused the problem.....and that vlc have released the update date 27th June to fix it ?
I believe the problem is caused by the today's update, as I say above I uninstall and reinstall half an hour ago, same problem

ok....I misunderstood

You can use Timeshift to go back to before the problem started.....and then do not install the latest update....this will hold VLC at the earlier, working version....perhaps until they sent out another update to repair the one that gives the problem.

In Timeshift, you can right click an update and choose to ignore future updates.....or you can deselect that particular update so It does not get installed again

Thanks for the advice but I don't have set up Timeshift, I need the hard drive space... That's why I chose a so called stable distribution... It says in the source ''old stable'' ... why they rush such new updates like we are rolling? Imagine in rolling distributions the whole OS receiving such lovely updates all day long

Timeshift is best setup in such a way that it uses an external drive for its storage.

I keep a maximum of five snapshots and it uses approx 40GB

It would appear the new 'update has caused the problem. Hopefully this will be noticed by thos who maintain it, and a fixed update will appear.

In the meantime, try using another video player. MPV or Celluloid

I have VLC 3.0.21 Vetinari also and I'm not having any problems with it. My update for VLC came on the 11th. I'm running Devuan 5 which is based on Debian 12.

I don't understand what you mean, but over the past year:

-sometimes the audio crackles, until i switch to bluetooth

-sometimes i just get an "X" and the media doesn't open. The KDE plasma enviro i use has all sorts of problems like this, but i have been too lazy and busy to reinstall my OS.

Last edited:
You might need to disable Hardware Acceleration - I am running 3.0.21 as well
Tools-Preferences-Input/Codes - click the drop-down arrow and select Disable and then click Save

1.png

You might need to disable Hardware Acceleration - I am running 3.0.21 as well
Tools-Preferences-Input/Codes - click the drop-down arrow and select Disable and then click Save

View attachment 20799
That fixed it! Thanks man

What does it mean? faulty hardware?

@Terminal Velocity :-

That fixed it! Thanks man

What does it mean? faulty hardware?

Nah. Not "faulty" hardware.....but many integrated graphics solutions are not able to handle the demands of hardware-accelerated video decoding/encoding in the same way as a discrete, separate GPU usually can.

You learn to work with what you've got. It's like many people have problems with modern browsers.....a situation not helped by the fact that these items invariably come with hardware acceleration enabled by default, OOTB.

Many people discover vastly-increased performance by the simple expedient of going into the settings.....and turning it OFF.

Mike. ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts