KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
Byte magazine, July 1980.

hdd.png

Yup... Disk space sure is inexpensive these days.

Yes, the disk and computer performances follow Moore's law. 1980 until today is a long time. I wasn't born yet in 1980.

Last edited:
Moore's law hasn't been true for a while now. It was true, but not any longer. They stopped referring to it in 2016.

But, yeah, it was true for a while. In my lifetime, it was a 'deal' when RAM reached $1/MB.

1992 First HD added to an 8088 running at 12 MHz was an MFM drive 32mb and cost 250.00
Still have that drive actually it is attached to its own controller card.

1994 Bought a 250mb HD for 250.00. In 1998 was buying 20 then 40 gig drives under 75.00

Picked up a few 1tb drives at Microcenter Last year for 20 bucks each. OEM bagged.

Picked up a few 1tb drives at Microcenter Last year for 20 bucks each.

Even SSDs are relatively cheap these days. Chips like CPUs and GPUs are expensive right now, but I don't deal with those individually. I don't build any of my systems anymore. I might add an SSD or toss in some extra RAM, but that's it.

I should not be here at this hour.

My first computer [IBM desktop] didnt even have a hard drive it ran off floppies, pick the program you wanted load to minimal ram do your work and either save by printing or to a clean floppy. my first 286 had a huge 10 mb H/D

Chips like CPUs and GPUs are expensive right now
\

Just grabbed an AMD Ryzen 5 3600 for 199.00 at Microcenter. New build I did with a 50 dollar AMD Athlon 3000g APU. But noooooo had to upgrade because, well just because.

My first computer [IBM desktop] didnt even have a hard drive it ran off floppies, pick the program you wanted load to minimal ram do your work and either save by printing or to a clean floppy. my first 286 had a huge 10 mb H/D

Yeah my first was 8088 at 12 Mhz. No HD both floppies 640kb ram, no clock, turn on type date and time. You need a more in depth DOS command, load a floppy. Now a phone has more power and storage than even my first 486 with 4 gigs ram and 6gb HD.

Members online