What is the newest hardware you have Linux installed and running on? (not counting smart phones)

@Keshara regarding the last message: there is actually a thing to consider when buying a Framework from Australia that I just have remembered.

Despite the fact that they bill you in A$, the transaction is international to... to... to their place somewhere in US.

Make sure you bank with a Bank that waives the international fees. It wasn't an issue for me with my Banks, but i remember thinking "ha! it makes sense but I should warn if anyone ever asks me!", so here we are.

@Keshara regarding the last message: there is actually a thing to consider when buying a Framework from Australia that I just have remembered.

Despite the fact that they bill you in A$, the transaction is international to... to... to their place somewhere in US.

Make sure you bank with a Bank that waives the international fees. It wasn't an issue for me with my Banks, but i remember thinking "ha! it makes sense but I should warn if anyone ever asks me!", so here we are.
Ah awesome, thanks for the advice! I'm still tossing up between another Thinkpad or just pulling the trigger on a Framework.

My previous laptop was a ThinkPad T490s, which was the newest piece of hardware I had installed Linux on, before the Framework (so I hope I am staying within the thread). Indeed, the behaviour on Linux was impeccable, absolutely 100%. Examples below in comparison with the Framework.

In summary, the Framework is a far superior laptop in many aspects but there are some niche things I miss from that ThinkPad, that are attributable to the laptop itself, not to how it supports Linux: the keyboard, the UEFI and the battery care features*.
  • There is no better keyboard for a laptop than a ThinkPad's --in my experience, those are uncontested and there's no way around this fact.
  • Framework's UEFI doesn't support unlocking a boot password with the fingerprint
    • For example, if you use an Opal disk with a password for builtin encryption as i do.
    • In the thinkpad i could boot up the laptop just by putting my finger in the reader and that would unlock my drive; not in the Framework where I have to type the password
      • In an inferior keyboard!!!!
    • No idea if the UEFI will be supporting it in the future
  • The Battery Embedded Controller has the capability to have battery thresholds, but the implementation is still very poor.
    • With a Thinkpad and with TLP, you can set up lower and upper thresholds of charge --the battery would charge only to the upper (80% for example), and only when it discharges past the lower (e.g.: 60%).
    • With the Framework there are several limitations:
      • You have to put an upper charge limit in the UEFI, it can't (yet?) be done from the OS with things like TLP
      • There's no lower threshold as described above.The lack of a lower threshold means that the Framework will be constantly charging and discharging every few 1%s
      • Upon reaching the upper limit, Linux will detect that the laptop is running on battery. Not sure if this is the actual hardware case or just the lack of a (better) module
So if those 2/3 aspects are really making a difference, go with the Thinkpad.

* Not the capacity, just the features in the list above

Last edited:
Personal desktop: 12700K / 64GB ram / MSI Z690 Edge Wifi DDR4 / EVGA 3060 12GB / bunch of 2TB Samsung SSDs (3.0)

Works ok as a deskop, the processor isn't easy to use when loaded as it bogs down other things. See

It's fine most of the time, but playing a video while the cpu is loaded down with other tasks you'll notice things aren't working right.

Scheduling with this CPU is the first generation of this stuff in consumer cpu's and you can tell it is. Don't buy one unless you get a fantastic discount.

And yes running Linux. No excuse not to. Unless you like handing over your data for free to big tech for no real reason? Whatever. You do you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online