Why Kali

APTI

Reaction score
Credits
I see so many people asking for help on Kali. Kali is for security uses and not regular use by regular people. So my question is why are so many newbies catching a hold of Kali and trying (unsuccessfully) to install and use it as everyday linux? They should be sent to look at Fedora, Mint, or ubuntu.

They want to be 'elite hackers', something glorified in certain geeky spheres.

I don't think that they understand that mastery requires proficiency in the basic tools before moving to advanced tools. You should know how to use a tape measure before using a table saw, for example.

They're under the impression that it's easy and they just need to use Kali to get them there...

Once in a blue moon, you find someone who truly wants to learn penetration testing for advancement of their career. They may even have some basic Linux knowledge.

The people in that latter group appear to be fewer - but it could also be that those people are less prone to asking questions.

What amuses me greatly is that the former group is seldom able to even find the correct sub-forum to post in. I move posts to the Kali sub-forum pretty much every day. Sometimes, I have to do that more than once a day.

If they can't reason these basic things out, I suspect they'll do poorly with their Kali learning experience.

Asking Gemini (AI): why do new linux users choose Kali as their distribution?
Here is the response:
--------start AI response-------
There are a couple reasons why someone new to Linux might mistakenly choose Kali Linux:

1. Misunderstanding the Tools: Kali comes pre-loaded with a massive arsenal of security tools for penetration testing and hacking. These tools might seem exciting or mysterious to new users, making them think Kali is the coolest or most powerful distro.

2. Media Influence: Hacking and cybersecurity are popular themes in media, and Kali Linux might be name-dropped without explaining it's a specialized tool. This can lead new users to believe it's the default or most impressive Linux option.

However, Kali is actually not recommended for new Linux users for a few reasons:

1. Steeper Learning Curve: Kali is built on top of Debian, a robust system, but Kali itself is geared towards professionals and assumes some Linux knowledge.

2. Security Focus: The pre-loaded tools can be dangerous in the wrong hands. New users might accidentally cause harm or expose themselves to security risks without understanding the potential consequences.

3. Not Beginner-Friendly: Unlike distributions designed for everyday use, Kali doesn't prioritize features like user-friendliness or multimedia support.

If you're new to Linux, it's best to start with a distro designed for beginners, like Ubuntu or Mint. These distributions offer a smoother learning curve, better hardware compatibility, and a wider range of everyday applications.
---------end AI response-------

Additionally, these characteristics may or may not apply:

Ignorance: they don't know what Kali is really about.
Self-aggrandisement: they wish to be seen as smart and prestigious.
Elitism: they wish to be part of what they perceive as a highly regarded unique clique.
Frustration: they want to get into deep linux quickly.
Infantile: they want to be "grown-up" linux quickly.
Anti-social: they want to hack into other people's systems regardless.
Inadequate: they want to be praised, congratulated and revered.

They want to be 'elite hackers',
There is another group that have no understanding that a security distribution doesn't mean it's more secure for everyday use, So think it's the best way to protect themselves.

Probably because everybody and their dog knows that Kali has an extensive, curated set of hacking tools pre-installed. And everybody wants to be a hacker nowadays.

Unfortunately, a lot of these wannabe hackers want to just jump right in with both feet, without even reading the documentation/information on the Kali Linux website, or doing any other research.
They think that installing Kali will be a shortcut to becoming a hacker.

As a result, many of them do not have any experience with Linux, limited computer science knowledge, no prior programming experience etc. And then they come to the Kali section here, asking questions that anybody even remotely qualified to run Kali would never need to ask.

It’s always stuff like "How do I connect to WiFi on Kali?", "I installed Kali and now my pc won’t boot", or something tremendously stupid like: "How do I install Steam on Kali?".

Saying that, if it wasn’t for the Kali noobs with their basic installation woes, the Kali section here would almost certainly be empty. Very few posts are from Kali users asking about the usage of tools on Kali.

And then they come to the Kali section here, asking questions that anybody even remotely qualified to run Kali would never need to ask.
I look in on the official Kali forums occasionally, anyone asking newbie/installation type questions are usually totally ignored

sounding like I thought. Lack of education. How do we educate people so they do not make the mistake of choosing Kali when they really needed Fedora or Mint?

I will in the future answer basic kali questions with....
"install Fedora or Mint" problem solved.

example... "I installed Kali and I have no sound" answer... "Remove it and install Fedora or Mint"

In some other Forums they don't have kind words for Kali 'newbies'.
By default 'newbie' is an unknown word in the Kali world.

The other day I dabbed my foot into Qubes, then found out that my most 'advance' desktop ,equipped with a 4770K CPU, supports VT-x but not VT-d. That stopped me cold.
A newbie (me) plus an unsupported CPU is a bad match - I am not Snowden.:(

How do we educate people so they do not make the mistake of choosing Kali when they really needed Fedora or Mint?

We've tried about all the means out there. This doesn't stop them.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink...

"install Fedora or Mint" problem solved.

Odds are that they usually won't listen. Well, not until they finally give up on Kali and return to Windows...

We've tried that too.

Some of us make a habit out of just plain ignoring Kali questions - even if we could answer them.

I look in on the official Kali forums occasionally, anyone asking newbie/installation type questions are usually totally ignored
Ayup. And not just there, either; on most halfway 'serious' Linux fora, Kali wannabes are either ignored OR laughed off the forums with their tails between their legs. And it's always the "wannabes" asking all the questions, without exception...

I've belonged to multiple Linux fora over the last 10-12 years, and everywhere you go it's universally the same.

@GatorsFan has the right of it. I totally blame "Mr. Robot"..! :p

Mike. ;)

They let Mr Robot get into their heads and they must become L33t H4xz0r$!

Last edited:
We should do the same here.

We've tried about all the means out there. This doesn't stop them.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink...
No one posting in the Kali section seems to read the pinned topics there.

Last edited:
Also those wanna be hackers that use Kali as their first Linux distribution see Linux as an obstacle to get to their destination instead of a learning process to get to their destination.

I see so many people asking for help on Kali. Kali is for security uses and not regular use by regular people. So my question is why are so many newbies catching a hold of Kali and trying (unsuccessfully) to install and use it as everyday linux? They should be sent to look at Fedora, Mint, or ubuntu.
Movie based its the Distro of Mr. ROBOT .

No posting in the Kali section seems to read the pinned topics there.

At least 50% of the time, they don't even post in the right section of the forum.

They're sure as heck not going to read the warnings. Coincidentally, they're also not going to read the documentation.

It can be a waste of time to try to help them and I can understand people who value their time. The odds are good that the OP will return to Windows soon enough. If I had to guess, I'd say a vanishingly small percentage of those who try will learn how to do ethical penetration testing.

Members online

Latest posts