Solved Wifi/Internet Not Connecting

Solved issue

Baddc053

Reaction score
Credits
Okay, I got the new laptop, new to me anyway...it's refurbished.
I got rid of Windows and loaded Linux Mint. I did find out that it has to be the router that's seen better days, went to Spectrum and replaced modem, it still won't connect to internet.
Which means that I can't update the install yet.
I have some patience left to wait until Tuesday when replacement router arrives. But will that stop me from doing basic tweaks as well?
I'm having issues with adding an external keyboard, and external monitor and track ball has issues.
With the older laptop I plugged in the keyboard and it worked, I plugged in the monitor and went to display settings and it worked. Not presently.
The pointer on trackball displays on external monitor, but not on laptop. External monitor shows no icons at all, laptop has icons, but trackball pointer won't display on laptop monitor. Is all this because I can't do the initial update, or did I goober something up bad?

Depending on the age of the laptop and it's architecture, you may need a lighter version of Linux.

What exact make and model is your laptop?

It's a Dell Latitude 5491, much newer than what I had been running on, and twice the memory.

did I goober something up bad?
i think sometimes there are just issues with certain hardware. it does feel like it might be bigger than that since it is more than just one device.
With the older laptop I plugged in the keyboard and it worked, I plugged in the monitor and went to display settings and it worked.
was that older laptop running windows or linux mint?

i think if you have the time and are ok with spending it, trying to reinstall could possibly save you some troubleshooting in case things just work after that process. if not, then you can cross that off the list and move on to other possibilities.

Older laptop was running the exact same Linux as the newer one, both loaded off same CD.
I really think the router took a hit during an electrical storm, even though the USB has surge protection. That's what started this ball rolling.

i think sometimes there are just issues with certain hardware. it does feel like it might be bigger than that since it is more than just one device.

was that older laptop running windows or linux mint?

i think if you have the time and are ok with spending it, trying to reinstall could possibly save you some troubleshooting in case things just work after that process. if not, then you can cross that off the list and move on to other possibilities.
I too am thinking of a reinstall, but after router gets here.

Older laptop was running the exact same Linux as the newer one, both loaded off same CD.
is that the laptop you were considering cloning the install to the newer laptop? if it is still running, you should be able to see what kernel it is using with the command uname -r and compare the two. sometimes the kernel can affect what devices do and don't work. often during the install process with the ability to update packages, you will get a newer kernel.

since you are thinking of waiting until after you get the router to reinstall, you could try an upgrade first to see if that helps.

external keyboard, and external monitor and track ball has issues.
That is a bunch of 'weirdness'....
I would agree.

Reinstall.

Does the laptop and external etc etc work in LIVE mode......that is before you actually do the install ?

Most often whatever works or does not work in the Live session, will do likewise after being fully installed

That is a bunch of 'weirdness'....
I would agree.

Reinstall.

Does the laptop and external etc etc work in LIVE mode......that is before you actually do the install ?

Most often whatever works or does not work in the Live session, will do likewise after being fully installed
Never tried that, was just wanting to flush Windows and get Linux on. Never had this before, been dedicated Linux user for probably 5 years. Anl Mint does everything that I need.

If everything working ok in the Live mode, be sure to tick/accept any and all offers of drivers etc etc in the process.

If your previous laptop was up to date via the Update Manager, the kernel difference should not create any great dramas.

The lack of internet is a pain.....can you connect via an ethernet cable when you reinstall?.....and of course see if it is working when you reach the live mode......and if it is that should carry through to the installed mode. Hit the updates First....then reboot.....then take the ethernet cable out and see if wifi will cooperate.

I really think the router took a hit during an electrical storm, even though the USB has surge protection. That's what started this ball rolling.
Thanks for sharing the details about the electrical storm.
Maybe recycle the router?

A fresh installation does solve a lot of things.
In the Live session before you perform a fresh install open the terminal and ensure that Mint see's your WiFi nic.
Code:
lspci | grep -i network
See if FF works too:-

Is this your laptop?

is that the laptop you were considering cloning the install to the newer laptop? if it is still running, you should be able to see what kernel it is using with the command uname -r and compare the two. sometimes the kernel can affect what devices do and don't work. often during the install process with the ability to update packages, you will get a newer kernel.

since you are thinking of waiting until after you get the router to reinstall, you could try an upgrade first to see if that helps.
Can't do any keyboard input on newer on, so wacky track ball works on one and not the other keyboard is exactly the opposite. Makes no sense.

Thanks for sharing the details about the electrical storm.
Maybe recycle the router?

A fresh installation does solve a lot of things.
In the Live session before you perform a fresh install open the terminal and ensure that Mint see's your WiFi nic.
Code:
lspci | grep -i network
See if FF works too:-

Is this your laptop?

No sir, no web cam.
It sees wifi, tells me there's a signal 76%, but can't get the I.P. addres. Spectrum tech detects router, but it's not theirs so tough luck.

This just for Internet connection....when you are able to use mouse/keyboard etc

Also, click on the network connections down near the clock.....click on add...in bottom letf hand corner......select wifi from the drop down menu.....click on create.

I am fairly sure that youy ony need to fill in the ssid on that page

ssid is the name of the wifi network...usually a collection of numbers and letters.......OTHER PEOPLE HERE WILL HAVE A BETTER IDEA THEN ME....I dont use wifi.

That's all correct been there more times than I am years old.
I'm thinking. Maybe I should bypass the router, take laptop to room with modem and NIC cable it directly to modem, maybe it will at least connect and do an update?

Do That !!!

Best idea all day!

Mind you, if it doesn't update....it is back to the drawing board !

Do That !!!

Best idea all day!
Crossing fingers on that, thinking it might perform it's magic.
Only thing I never did, was put a paperclip in the reset port on router. I rebooted router many times thinking it was same as a reboot, maybe not?

If everything working ok in the Live mode, be sure to tick/accept any and all offers of drivers etc etc in the process.

If your previous laptop was up to date via the Update Manager, the kernel difference should not create any great dramas.

The lack of internet is a pain.....can you connect via an ethernet cable when you reinstall?.....and of course see if it is working when you reach the live mode......and if it is that should carry through to the installed mode. Hit the updates First....then reboot.....then take the ethernet cable out and see if wifi will cooperate.
I'm going to do the cable connection after a nights break, mind is peanutbutter right now. I originally felt that new modem would be a cure all, I thought wrong.

Get a good sleep

Members online