Would Like to Change my Name & Password in Settings

Snort McDork

Reaction score
Credits
I think I know where to go to find this in Cinnamon, but when I tried to change it did not highlight "change" button. I tried using 3 and it didn't like that either. I got my name changed as tech dude who set this up spelled it horribly wrong. But how picky is this thing on changing password and what would be acceptable?

Open Terminal

type in: passwd (that is not a typo....and there is no need for bold)
hit enter
type in your Current password

it will then ask for New password ....hit enter
It will ask you to confirm the new password

That's it...drink coffee

Below...just a bit of light reading

Open Terminal

type in: passwd (that is not a typo....and there is no need for bold)
hit enter
type in your Current password

it will then ask for New password ....hit enter
It will ask you to confirm the new password

That's it...drink coffee

Below...just a bit of light reading

Okay, I tried to change it but "change" button will not light up to actually change it.

Your terminal screen should look exactly like this. There is no 'change' button
2023-06-22_16-59.png

Also, you will not see any letters numbers etc when you type the passwords....theystay invisible to you....but they are seen by the system

Your terminal screen should look exactly like this. There is no 'change' buttonView attachment 16063

Also, you will not see any letters numbers etc when you type the passwords....theystay invisible to you....but they are seen by the system
I'm sorry. I didn't see terminal. I have not messed with this yet, but I will try. I get intimidated easily by things like this.
Okay, I did it! Yea! my first experience with terminal. I tried something short, but it didn't like that, so I went to something else I can remember. Thank you.

Last edited:
I'm sorry. I didn't see terminal. I have not messed with this yet, but I will try. I get intimidated easily by things like this.

You do know your current password...if so do as Condobloke has shown you. If you don't know your password...that's another matter.
You said you did a clean install of Mint Cinnamon from Ubuntu...so you should have a new username and password...so no need to change either.
m1212.gif

Members online

Latest posts