You Know You're A Linux Geek When/If...

Sherri is a Cat

Reaction score
Credits
If you buy a brand new laptop, rather than going through the usual set up with Windows you immediately boot into the UEFI settings. You change the boot order, insert a USB with Linux installation files, boot into live Linux and install Linux over the other OS you don't want to bother with.

I just moved to Ohio and need some kind of computer. Right now I can't set up my desktop system. I bought an inexpensive new laptop and immediately installed Linux.

How do you know you're a Linux geek?

How do you know you're a Linux geek?
I don't know if this would make me a geek :D, but before installing any new release of a system, I'm testing it in live-USB mode and in VirtualBox. Because I already know which tools I need to be present, how my workflow is organized. Not to mention that if I find new issues, I'd have to update my custom-made configs and manuals (which are crazily detailed because I'm paranoid :eek::p).

(In Mr. Foxworthy's voice...)
You might be a linux geek if
  • You're not sure you'd recognize a -new- laptop if you saw one (but you're pretty sure it's presence in your possession is a sign it's a hand-me-down, even though you've forgotten where it actually came from)
  • You leave "the other OS" in place for months (or years) against the possibility that you might need it some day (even though it's probably fubar because that's how the machine came to you in the first place) and you don't really need that hard disk space because...
  • You continue to boot Linux from a USB stick because your OS so rarely touches the boot device that it doesn't impact performance (and you never know when the HD an old laptop will suddenly crap out on you)
  • You eventually install your OS to the hard disk (because it's only a matter of time before that USB stick sticking out the side of the laptop gets physically broken off)
  • You cuss a blue streak a few weeks later, when that old HD suddenly craps out and you can't find the USB stick
  • You hear that another linux geek has just moved to a neighboring state and you want to ask them what city because, OMG, there's a dyed in the wool Linux geek within 300 miles. (But you know they might not want to be more specific than "what state?", because, to coin a phrase, "On the internet, everyone just assumes you're a dog." :))

I'd say to be a true Linux geek you'll have to have mastered the terminal, meaning being able to do pretty much anything in the the terminal without having to refer to man pages (but using them if you must).

Or, maybe when you've been though Linux From Scratch.

For me, "Linux Geek" means more than just installing the operating system.

Depends what definition of a geek is, obviously

Maybe you are if you not only know commands by heart for whatever action, but also full commands with parameters, without thinking too much:

find / -name '*.log' -type f -size +1000000c -exec ls -l {} \; 2> /dev/null >> ~/mylogs.txt

Some say just using Linux means you're a geek...I wonder who they are ?
t12702.gif

I'd paraphrase the offering from @GatorsFan

You have a picture of Linus Torvalds on your pillowcase?

OR

Point 5 in my signature

Point 6 in my signature

Friday in Oz

Avagudweegend

Wiz

A fresh start, in more ways than one! Best of luck to you, Sherri! :):cool:

Absolutely! I'm so glad to finally get away from that place. It's a little scary in that I don't know what sorts of things to expect in a different state.
One thing that is definitely different in a great way is how much lower rent is around here. And the job I'll be starting pays twice as much.

I'd say to be a true Linux geek you'll have to have mastered the terminal, meaning being able to do pretty much anything in the the terminal without having to refer to man pages (but using them if you must).

Like short cuts in a way.

CAD drawings are created much faster when you know the short cuts (commands).

CTRL+L (length of line) tab (angle) enter

Not knowing them means using the mouse a LOT more

For me, "Linux Geek" means more than just installing the operating system.
Hey! I'm just getting started!

I don't know if this would make me a geek :D, but before installing any new release of a system,

If eyes glaze over and people start looking around for the closest exit, I'd say this qualifies!

find / -name '*.log' -type f -size +1000000c -exec ls -l {} \; 2> /dev/null >> ~/mylogs.txt

This definitely qualifies. There was a time this scared me. Now it's something I will know about later and it won't be so intimidating

(In Mr. Foxworthy's voice...)
You might be a linux geek if
  • You're not sure you'd recognize a -new- laptop if you saw one (but you're pretty sure it's presence in your possession is a sign it's a hand-me-down, even though you've forgotten where it actually came from)
  • You leave "the other OS" in place for months (or years) against the possibility that you might need it some day (even though it's probably fubar because that's how the machine came to you in the first place) and you don't really need that hard disk space because...
  • You continue to boot Linux from a USB stick because your OS so rarely touches the boot device that it doesn't impact performance (and you never know when the HD an old laptop will suddenly crap out on you)
  • You eventually install your OS to the hard disk (because it's only a matter of time before that USB stick sticking out the side of the laptop gets physically broken off)
  • You cuss a blue streak a few weeks later, when that old HD suddenly craps out and you can't find the USB stick
  • You hear that another linux geek has just moved to a neighboring state and you want to ask them what city because, OMG, there's a dyed in the wool Linux geek within 300 miles. (But you know they might not want to be more specific than "what state?", because, to coin a phrase, "On the internet, everyone just assumes you're a dog." :))

EVERYTHING!!

you have a picture of Linus Torvalds on your wall

I think it might be nice to have a little jingle playing in the background with the words Leenus, Linus (long 'I') Linus (short 'I')...
But Linux is always Linux

Some say just using Linux means you're a geek...I wonder who they are ?
t12702.gif

They don't know what freedom feels like.

You have a picture of Linus Torvalds on your pillowcase?

Where can I get one? Does it come in different colors?

I have emerald green, royal purple, hyacinth blue, navy blue and ice gray bed linens

OR

Point 5 in my signature

Point 6 in my signature

Friday in Oz

Avagudweegend

Wiz

Yeah, that!

Members online