1 TB hard drive 94% full (with only 270gb data on it)

Condobloke

Reaction score
Credits
1TB seagate expansion hard disk

Shows 94% full (60 gb free) when accessed via "disks' on linux mint....and only having 9.7gb Free when access via its properties.

However...when the total of the various folders etc on that disc are added together they only consume something less than 300 GB

What am I missing ?

Attachments

• usb stick.png
    usb stick.png
    77.1 KB · Views: 327
  • gparted usb stick.png
    gparted usb stick.png
    77.8 KB · Views: 380
  • disks usb stick.png
    disks usb stick.png
    67.1 KB · Views: 335

Have done to me bfr.
Just back up and format it again.

Look at the circled part on the attached pic.

Attachments

• usb stick.png
    usb stick.png
    102.8 KB · Views: 351
Well spotted @LorenDB !

....and yet, if I attempt to load more pics/data etc onto the drive I receive the error message......insufficient space etc

I have wondered if the ext3/ext4 formatting has anything to do with its problem....I also noticed that in GParted it shows as having a "boot" flag...?????

In which case @CptCharis is probably correct ?....backup and reformat the rotten thing...?

Attachments

• boot ??.png
    boot ??.png
    55.1 KB · Views: 333
Last edited:
...backup and reformat the rotten thing...?

Brian if you have not already done the above, and your computer supports UEFI, I would set a new partition table on the Seagate, of GPT.

Cheers

Chris

Haven't reformatted yet, and pc does not support EFI

At the moment space to back the contents of that drive up to is a wee problem

Is there space on Te's drive?

not enough

I have just made some space on my torrents drive, and am in the process of copying them over to there

when it finishes I will reformat to ext4, and put them back

Done.

Used 133 GB

850 Free

Haven't reformatted yet, and pc does not support EFI

At the moment space to back the contents of that drive up to is a wee problem
How old is the PC, and have you explored the BIOS/setup?

the build is around 31/2 years old.....have not explored the bios

If the hardware is 3 1/2 years old, then there's a good chance that it has UEFI. It may be set to CSM or something silly like that, but a pure UEFI gets along well with Linux, if your setup for the firmware allows getting to the settings.

Oh, yeah, and you have a timeshift folder. Timeshift will eat your lunch if you don't have it configured well.

I will run a backup, and then investigate

My son set up both pc's (mine and my wife's), and they have both run particularly well, with just this minor hassle with the Seagate external.

The boot up time is swift for both (around 35 seconds) so as much as I have been aware of uefi's advantages, i have not felt the need to go looking (it isn't broke, dont fix it etc etc)

Timeshift I am seriously at ease with......it has saved the day when the boofhead behind the desk (me) has ventured into unchartered waters without a paddle.
I have it setup in such a way that prevents it using the entire hard drive in one gulp, yet still has what I need in case of "screw up"

Brian

Hey Brian, what version of Timeshift are you using?

Wiz

see screenshot

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-06-08_17-36-40.png
    Screenshot_2020-06-08_17-36-40.png
    135.3 KB · Views: 327
Ta, mate that's fine, and for the benefit of The Viewers -

See how Brian has a comment or two alongside some snapshots?

From v19.01 on, a new facility was included, whereby screenshots that you provide comments for will escape culling, no matter what your settings schedule applies to those others.

If you need to update your Timeshift (currently 20.03) swing over to my Timeshift feature here and ask.

https://www.linux.org/threads/timeshift-similar-solutions-safeguard-recover-your-linux.15241/

Wizard

Speaking of Timeshift.....I realised after I posted that screenshot that I was sitting in front of my pc....not Te's....which is where the underperforming 1tb seagate lives......so....I went to Te's pc and the version of Timeshift is the same.
However...after I reformatted that 1tb yesterday and shifted the pics etc etc back onto it, I then did a "create" snapshot on Timeshift.
That snapshot is definitely on the 1TB (that is where i choose to keep the snapshots for Te's pc)....but it does not appear on the Timeshift screen...it is blank.....and if I click on 'create' it throws up a screen saying "snapshot created....close window to exit" and then closes back to the main Timeshift screen.
I uninstalled Timeshift and the reinstalled it...same result

Then uninstalled via Synaptic...complete removal.....then marked for reinstallation...same result, exactly.
Version 19.08.1 installed now

screenshot below.....bare as a babys bum !....yet the snapshot itself is definitely on the 1tb seagate

Attachments

• Te's timeshift screen.png
    Te's timeshift screen.png
    42.6 KB · Views: 357
Last edited:
Curious :eek:

If you like, I can move the above Post over to Timeshift Thread, and take a look at the issue (I have some ideas) as it is a little off topic here, now that the storage issues on the Seagate have been remedied?

Cheers

Wiz

Yes....move it !!!!.i just took this screenshot

It appears that after i initiate an 'on demand' snapshot, Timeshift itself then produces another snapshot all by itself...see screenshot attached....note the tags...OB & DM..??....and another screenshot of thew Schedule screen....

Attachments

• te.png
    te.png
    44.2 KB · Views: 295
  • te's schedule.png
    te's schedule.png
    49 KB · Views: 333
Last edited:

Members online