Solved 23.04 LTS will not boot after install.

Solved issue

I have just come back to this.

To save me rereading the whole thing, .......

You have Linux Mint 21.3 'burned' via Balena etcher to a usb stick. CORRECT ?

You have inserted the usb stick and tapped the short boot menu key to arrive at a screen which lists drives....among them the usb stick....Correct?

You have selected the usb stick and the pc has then, eventually, shown on screen the Linux Mint or ubuntu and you have clicked on Enter which tells it that you wish to run that distro
Correct ?

After some delay, eventually,the chosen distro appears on screen?....Yes?....No...?

If what I have typed in above HAS happened, then you have arrived at what is called a 'LIVE' version of the distro......it does not run on your SSD....it runs on the RAM in your pc/laptop.....It is not fully installed at this point.

have you arrived at that point?

I have just come back to this.

To save me rereading the whole thing, .......

You have Linux Mint 21.3 'burned' via Balena etcher to a usb stick. CORRECT ?

You have inserted the usb stick and tapped the short boot menu key to arrive at a screen which lists drives....among them the usb stick....Correct?

You have selected the usb stick and the pc has then, eventually, shown on screen the Linux Mint or ubuntu and you have clicked on Enter which tells it that you wish to run that distro
Correct ?

After some delay, eventually,the chosen distro appears on screen?....Yes?....No...?

If what I have typed in above HAS happened, then you have arrived at what is called a 'LIVE' version of the distro......it does not run on your SSD....it runs on the RAM in your pc/laptop.....It is not fully installed at this point.

have you arrived at that point?
No... I have not tried Mint yet. What you describe is the process I used to try and install the latest LTS of Ubuntu, which was too big to fit on a DVD.

But generally, your description of the process is correct.

Yes, I boot up with an install DVD. And upon boot up, the boot loader asks "Try or install". These are not separate menu choices. So I select "Try or install". Upon completion of boot, I am in the live version that allows you to test drive the OS without installing.

But there is an icon on the "live" desktop which offers to option actually install the OS. I click and go through the installation. To complete the install, you must reboot. The system spits out the install DVD and prompts me to hit enter. When I do, the machine restarts and gives a message "insert bootable media".

I will ask again. Have you disabled windows fast boot/quick-start [usually found in bios power settings] and windows secure boot [usually found in the bios security settings]

I think I'd try and repair grub as the red dot in the 2nd partition with the exclamation mark inside of it looks to be lost someway.

You may have to recreate a new EFI partition.

I've learned about "Gparted" from this thread. And it provided useful information.

Yes, I too noticed the red exclamation mark. And from the menu, there was an info option which when clicked, gave additional info suggesting files were missing.

Throughout this process, I called the install "successful".

But as @Egzoset has pointed out, "No boot media found on reboot spells install failure to me...". I agree; it is difficult to argue against this.

I will get the latest version of Ubuntu that fits on a DVD and recreate the install DVD and try the install again.

To be continued...

I will ask again. Have you disabled windows fast boot/quick-start [usually found in bios power settings] and windows secure boot [usually found in the bios security settings]

No such settings in my bios. This machine is from 2011. Maybe that option is on newer machines?

This machine is from 2011.
ok its a bit early for both.. Have you tried legacy install when its offered [my laptop is 2010 I am always Chopin and changing distros for testing purposes, but my main drive runs LMDE6, and Parrot home, both of which installed without serious problems [I had to install wi-fi drivers for Parrot]

I've learned about "Gparted" from this thread. And it provided useful information.

Yes, I too noticed the red exclamation mark. And from the menu, there was an info option which when clicked, gave additional info suggesting files were missing.

Throughout this process, I called the install "successful".

But as @Egzoset has pointed out, "No boot media found on reboot spells install failure to me...". I agree; it is difficult to argue against this.

I will get the latest version of Ubuntu that fits on a DVD and recreate the install DVD and try the install again.

To be continued...

Update:

Working under the assumption that I was using defective installation media, I downloaded 20.04.6. According to the Ubuntu site, this is the last LTS release of "Focal Fossa". I chose this because it was recommended and because it was the most current release I could find which would fit on a 4.7 DVD.

It worked!

Then through terminal, I was able to complete an upgrade to 22.04.4 LTS. Everything seems to be working correctly.

I've turned off automatic installation of updates; better to screen what goes on the system than to trust the unknown.

Eventually, I'd like to get up to 24.04 LTS.

My next step is to install Virtual Box and install some of the other distros recommended here (Mint).

Finally, I want to thank everyone who has participated in this thread. I credit combined suggestions from the participants for getting this resolved.

Thank you.
Dx

https://hotemoji.com/images/emoji/f/4i6yn410rpkaf.png

Nice result by all, and @DxHum welcome to linux.org :)

When you are sure this is solved, you can mark it as such by going to your first post, and do as follows

Near bottom left of the post click Edit - (No Prefix) - Solved

naldBkx.png

Only when you are sure.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

I agree; it is difficult to argue against this.

That's not the point. Since you seemed to prefer Ubuntu i though maybe it would help to evaluate 'Linux lite', euh... 7.0 If 'dnf' by CLi is your thing, perhaps 'AlmaLinux', 9.4 with *boot.iso and *minimal.iso variants, etc... Actually i've seen network-ready versions too, but that's no good for me on WiFi unless there's a way to copy the long password stored on a USB unit, just in case. Anyway the mere thought of retro-grading put an end to my curiosity, that must be too depressing a case! So here's another slogan:

Life's too short.

Yet i'll never know the answer to my question and that's fine. Lucky you i see you're in good hands. Kapla!! ;)

Members online