A Musician Joins the Team!

Music Man Tyler

Reaction score
Credits
Hello everyone! My name is Tyler and I’m happy to report that today I was able to install my first instance of Mint MATE on my old Dell Inspiron N5110 that ran Windows 7 a decade ago. My last laptop, an Alienware r4, gave up on me this past Novmeber so I’ve been using my iPad for simple tasks at home and my work computer for everything else. After installing a new battery and DC jack and my r4 not reviving (I think the MOBO’s toast) I lost motivation months ago, until today when I finally said screw it and looked into what it might take to get this old laptop up and running. Turns out the answer was “not as much as I expected”.

As someone who was introduced to computers in the Win 95 era and remembers his uncle running through MS-DOS to load old Apogee games I’ve used computers my whole life (before kids these days did it naturally!) I’ve been interested in Linux ever since my programming teacher in high school took an entire class to show us a documentary on Tourvalds and his story. This was back in 2007, and beyond that point I either didn’t have the need or the nerve to give the penguin a try. I’ve got the fundamentals on a few different coding languages including C++ (that was what the high school class was for), Python, SQL, and when learning these languages on Codecademy they had us download Git Bash for Windows so I even got direct CLI experience. While I’m nothing resembling a programmer it’s helped build my confidence to try something like this. I also have my A+ cert, and I was studying for my Network+ cert before being hired for my current role where I provide tech support for both music hardware and software.

That leads me to why I want to incorporate Linux into my life as a musician specifically, separate from the overall ethos of Linux which I was sold on over a decade ago. With my job I’ve had to learn about all the major DAWs in the name of troubleshooting them, and it’s made me realize just how quick hardware and software seems to become “obsolete” in the world of Mac and Windows. Some of the customers certainly realize it too. I want to figure out just how much I can get away with not relying on Windows for the music making process, and according to my research that’s never been easier between native software, Wine and Bottles, and Yarbridge(?) for plug-in support. Im an Ableton guy by trade but I’m far more open to learning new workflows today than I was a decade ago when my bandmates tried their hardest to get me to adopt Reaper. As I was typing this I tried running a live version of Ubuntu Studio which failed to work (got through BIOS and then a blank screen) but I’m willing to chalk that up to old hardware in the interim. I’ll save trying that for when I work towards building a new system that can dual-boot Windows and Linux on two separate hard drives, only as a stop-gap until I can figure out how to not use Windows period unless I really need to. If all else fails I can avoid a computer altogether and just record everything direct on my Roland Fantom 7. Haha

Anyway, that’s a lot of me in a Brazilian nutshell. I’m happy to be here and excited to learn more about this system and figuring out a workflow that, well, flows! Any advice here on next steps for a new PC build given my goals of music production, and possibly gaming, would be greatly appreciated. If you read all this, then I wish you well.

Cheers!

Likewise, welcome.

Welcome to the Forum.
1719727457695.gif

G'day Music man Tyler, Welcome to Linux.org

The musically inclined will no doubt see your thread here, and offer all sorts of advice.

Welcome to the forum
your insperon is 3 yrs younger than mine, which currently runs Mint LMDE 6, Parrot Home as my main OS's but can also [thanks to the quick change external caddy] run any number of other distributions including, Debian stable, Mx-linux,Parrot home edition, Ubuntu, linux lite.
Your machine probably originally came with 2gb ram [and unless upgraded ] will not be enough to run mint 21, Ubuntu and a few other distributions [I upgraded to my machines max of 4 gb]

As a music man you may find this article of interest

Thank you everyone! :D It's good to meet you all as well.

Regarding RAM my system surprisingly came stock with 8gb which is supposed to be the max, and I've seen at least one video proving that you can defy Dell and install 16gb, which is the recommended standard these days for music production. DDR3 is cheap too so I might as well try it to see what happens.

I checked the link and that lines up with what I've found as far as apps that work, the other half is figuring out hardware like audio interfaces. As I understand it as long as it's class compliant it will "just work" but there's only one way to find out just how true that is. Right this second I'm content figuring out the OS as a daily driver and I've been very happy with the results, though I need to figure out why after installing Brave I can launch it from the terminal but can't find it anywhere else on the OS. Even weirder is that this didn't happen when I ran the live version off of USB last night. Ah well, it's good troubleshooting practice. haha

why after installing Brave I can launch it from the terminal but can't find it anywhere else
open mint menu
open internet, in the right hand colum look for Brave browser
RIGHT click on it, and from the drop-down box select either add to panel [that's what windows call task bar] or add to desktop and miraculously it should appear. there

Welcome to the community.
I’m a drummer, so not really a musician. I just hang around with them. Ha ha!

I use Ardour on Linux (Debian), to record live drums with my Behringer U-Phoria UMC1820 USB sound interface.

I’m currently looking to expand my setup to include a Behringer ADA8200 ADAT Audio interface, to give me an extra 8 channels, so I can mic up and record my entire band at rehearsals.

Hello Tyler,
Welcome to the linux.org forum, enjoy the journey!

open mint menu
open internet, in the right hand colum look for Brave browser
RIGHT click on it, and from the drop-down box select either add to panel [that's what windows call task bar] or add to desktop and miraculously it should appear. there
See it's weird that's the first thing I tried but it didn't show up at first. I had to go into "Software Manager", search for Brave in there, find the version I downloaded (there were two different official versions...) and launch it from "Software Manager", and then it shows up where I expect it to on my desktop. Now it's on the panel just fine. All I can figure is that because I followed Brave's instructions to download it via the terminal something got left out in the install. Who knows? Appreciate the help though! I'll try not to spam the welcome page with all my questions just yet. :p

Welcome to the community.
I’m a drummer, so not really a musician. I just hang around with them. Ha ha!

I use Ardour on Linux (Debian), to record live drums with my Behringer U-Phoria UMC1820 USB sound interface.

I’m currently looking to expand my setup to include a Behringer ADA8200 ADAT Audio interface, to give me an extra 8 channels, so I can mic up and record my entire band at rehearsals.
Very nice! Behringer makes some great stuff when it holds up (and that can admittedly be a big if sometimes haha) I had an amp from them that lasted 20 years when I first learned guitar, and their Neutron semi-modular synth is absolutely brilliant for the price - also a great gateway into the dark side known as modular synthesis. Drums are my off-instrument but they're a ton of fun to play, only thing that's stopped me from seriously learning is a lack of space in the house. Ardour seems terrific from what I've read about it, def on my to-try list.

@Music Man Tyler :-

Welcome, welcome. Nice to have you on board, mate.

As an avid Puppy Linux user - 10 yrs + and counting..! - as well as moderating on our forums, you may be interested in taking a look at Studio 1337.

Originally based around Slackware 13.37 - hence the name - it's a fully self-contained - and very well-stocked - Puppy Linux-based DAW, that you can install to a flash drive, and carry around in your pocket!

It's originator, 10wt3ch ('LowTech'), is no longer with us, sadly. He used to have his own website and sell the thing pre-installed for just the cost of the flash-drive, for those not technically-inclined. In the end he was just giving it away for free on the Puppy Forums, but those links died a while ago when he dropped off the radar.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

I snagged a copy of the final release, v3.3, and have a copy of it squirrelled away. An acquaintance from the Puppy Forums, TAERSH, posted about it here on the Linux Musician's forum:-

I don't know if his links are still active; if not, my copy can be found here:-

v3.3 is based on Bionicpup64, itself based around Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 'Bionic Beaver'. And it is "well-stocked", believe me!

Just thought you might be interested in taking a look at it. Entirely up to you.

Mike. ;)

Staff online