A perspective on clockwise

Sherri is a Cat

Reaction score
Credits
When I was a kid, I had a really hard time understanding what they meant by clockwise. Sometimes even today I get tripped up. In grade school they used to tell everyone in class to get in a big circle, take hands and move clockwise, or counter clockwise. I never was sure which way to go.

As an adult I realize the problem was that my teachers didn't give me a reference point.
If I'm stading in front of a clock watching the hands go around, we'll that's clockwise.

But, if I'm standing BEHIND the clock watching the hands, we'll now they're moving counter clockwise.

And if I'm standing on any side looking at the clock, I see a point that grows into a line and shrink back to a point over and over all day.

Last edited:

We have four wall clocks...two have hands and two are Digital...so you can see my predicament.
m0103.gif

A clock with hands only runs in one direction no matter which way you hold It.
This actually isn't true. I dismantled an old watch when I was a kid. I figured out how to make the hands move counter clockwise by turning over one gear....

From the perspective of the clock, yes they only move in one direction.

Let's forget about the clock though.

Direction in relation to point of observation is the issue that trips me up. I can think of a couple of ways to describe what I mean.

We are standing face to face. With my right arm, I point to my right. That will always be  my right side. No matter if I'm facing north, south, west, east or hanging upside-down my right side will never change. My position is my reference point.

But if you are standing directly in front of me as I point to my right, what you see is an arm extended left. Your position is your reference point.

Or If you are tightening a screw, righty-tighty, lefty-loosey. This helps me a lot. But sometimes, like when I'm working on my car I can't see the bolt. I may have to tighten it from behind. In that case, I have to turn the bolt to MY LEFT to tighten it up. This kind of thing is probably the reason for threads getting stripped.

It is true - you manipulated the clock from it's intended usage thereby changing it's original design which you forced it to run backwards - left in it's original state it will run clockwise

What I do when not being able to see something (like a bolt on the bottom side of an engine) - I visualize the location usually by feel then see the bolt in my mind then make the correct turns

If everything is relative, then nothing can be considered an objective fact. like 2+2=4 So what’s the point of education and scientific inquiry? Moreover, the statement is actually self-defeating

Well...

If you read Russell's magnum opus, Principia Mathematica (with some help from Whitehead), the basic axioms, such as that of 1 + 1 = 2, took more than 360 pages of proof. The best proof is Proof By Observation, which is simply taking two objects and counting them.

At the end of the day, it was reduced to logicism. We agree that it's true because it's logical. It's really rather arbitrary. If one is insane enough to delve into the Philosophy of Mathematics, it boils down to logicism - which is why math contains symbols for evaluating logic.

Math is kind of funny like that.

A fun and famous proof for non-mathematicians to chew on is that 0.999... = 1.

But, yes, 2 + 2 = 4.

Well...

If you read Russell's magnum opus, Principia Mathematica (with some help from Whitehead), the basic axioms, such as that of 1 + 1 = 2, took more than 360 pages of proof. The best proof is Proof By Observation, which is simply taking two objects and counting them.

At the end of the day, it was reduced to logicism. We agree that it's true because it's logical. It's really rather arbitrary. If one is insane enough to delve into the Philosophy of Mathematics, it boils down to logicism - which is why math contains symbols for evaluating logic.

Math is kind of funny like that.

A fun and famous proof for non-mathematicians to chew on is that 0.999... = 1.

But, yes, 2 + 2 = 4.
The Principles of Mathematics - Bertrand Russell - originally written in 1903 - A fascinating read by the way - get the PDF here - https://www.finophd.eu/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Russell-Principles-of-Mathematics.pdf

The Principles of Mathematics - Bertrand Russell - originally written in 1903 - A fascinating read by the way - get the PDF here - https://www.finophd.eu/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Russell-Principles-of-Mathematics.pdf

Among my prized possessions is an original printing in hardback. Math has changed since, but it is still worth reading for the curious. Sadly, most people never learn more than arithmetic (and some not even that) but it's quite interesting - and not nearly as static as people think.

I wouldn't agree that mathematics is the language of the universe. I'd say it's the language we use to describe the universe - an important distinction. The universe couldn't care less about our math. It's largely indifferent on the subject.

Actually, if you were aiming higher, the answer is some people can forget which eye to use when they wink. Because the default romance is to look like you're winking with your right eye, but when people watch you do that it looks like you used your left.

;)

If are into Oriental stuffs (Acupuncture, Meditations, …) clockwise and counterclockwise is very important.
I myself don’t believe in that, except for group demonstration purpose (kata for example).

I do like Digital clocks the best as they provide more info.
m1211.gif

iu

First, I had a clock on my bedroom wall that ran backwards. It was a gift from my parents. I was around 8 years old at the time. (I had seen a clock like that somewhere, and wanted one.) The numbers were readable, not reversed. The "1" was to the left of the 12, and the hands ran counterclockwise (anti-clockwise). I had no trouble reading it, but my parents preferred to look in the mirror on the opposite wall. It was still running when I went to college. I had it in various homes until the clock motor finally failed. The clock looked like a large plastic pocket watch with a chain and fob. The fob was a sign that said "Bar is Open" and "Bar is Closed". My parents did not include the chain and fob when they hung the clock for me. It was merely a jumbo watch on the wall ... that ran backwards.

Second, not all screws and bolts are "righty-tighty, lefty-loosey". The screws/bolts that mount the blade on certain saw designs turn backwards. They work lefty-tighty, righty-loosey. Left-blade handheld circular saws are one example. Many cordless circular saws are left-bladed and have that mounting screw/bolt. Right-tilt table saws are another example.

Finally, I can prove that 2 = 1.

Assume x = yInitial assumption
x * x = y * xMultiply both sides by x
x^2 = yxSame thing, different representations
x^2 - y^2 = yx - y^2Subtract y^2 from both sides
(x + y) * (x - y) = yx - y^2Simple factoring, left side
(x + y) * (x - y) = y * (x - y)Simple factoring, right side
(x + y) = yDivide both sides by (x - y)
(y + y) = yReplace x with y. See initial assumption.
2y = ySame thing, different representation
2 = 1 Q.E.D.(Divide both sides by y)

I will leave it as an exercise to the reader. Don't do others' homework ...

Edit, added a few minutes later: I just searched and found many different backwards clock designs. If you want a backwards clock, they are easy to find.

Last edited:
I think I preferred it when we just had #1. :)

The conundrum posted by @sphen is simple to disprove.

By the time you get to

x^2 - y^2 = yx - y^2Subtract y^2 from both sides

you get 0 (zero).

Likewise for the next two lines.

From there down you get first Indeterminate and then Undefined.

Cheers

Wiz

We are all so proud of @wizardfromoz for solving the puzzle.

Thank you to Wiz for showing off and stealing the fun and mystery for everyone who follows, a mere 2-1/2 hours after it went up. Apparently "Don't do others' homework" applies selectively here.

The time and effort it took to compose and post message #18 was wasted. I wonder why I bothered. Don't worry, it won't happen again.

Members online