A perspective on clockwise

First, I had a clock on my bedroom wall that ran backwards. It was a gift from my parents. I was around 8 years old at the time. (I had seen a clock like that somewhere, and wanted one.) The numbers were readable, not reversed. The "1" was to the left of the 12, and the hands ran counterclockwise (anti-clockwise). I had no trouble reading it, but my parents preferred to look in the mirror on the opposite wall. It was still running when I went to college. I had it in various homes until the clock motor finally failed. The clock looked like a large plastic pocket watch with a chain and fob. The fob was a sign that said "Bar is Open" and "Bar is Closed". My parents did not include the chain and fob when they hung the clock for me. It was merely a jumbo watch on the wall ... that ran backwards.

Second, not all screws and bolts are "righty-tighty, lefty-loosey". The screws/bolts that mount the blade on certain saw designs turn backwards. They work lefty-tighty, righty-loosey. Left-blade handheld circular saws are one example. Many cordless circular saws are left-bladed and have that mounting screw/bolt. Right-tilt table saws are another example.

Finally, I can prove that 2 = 1.

Assume x = yInitial assumption
x * x = y * xMultiply both sides by x
x^2 = yxSame thing, different representations
x^2 - y^2 = yx - y^2Subtract y^2 from both sides
(x + y) * (x - y) = yx - y^2Simple factoring, left side
(x + y) * (x - y) = y * (x - y)Simple factoring, right side
(x + y) = yDivide both sides by (x - y)
(y + y) = yReplace x with y. See initial assumption.
2y = ySame thing, different representation
2 = 1 Q.E.D.(Divide both sides by y)

I will leave it as an exercise to the reader. Don't do others' homework ...

Edit, added a few minutes later: I just searched and found many different backwards clock designs. If you want a backwards clock, they are easy to find.
I see another math geek! Math and science are my forte! As an architecture student, I was required to take a creativity class in college. It was essentially a "Think outside of the box" course. I never knew how many answers there are to the question "What is 1/2 of 8?"

Show how half of twelve is seven. That's another one.

Finally, I can prove that 2 = 1.

~shakes head~

Had it not been corrected, someone would believe you.

Numeracy levels are not very high. I have some thoughts on the matter, but I don't figure anyone will care. I also won't change anything by venting.

Good job it wasn't one of these
f33f90d75ca368162814aedb64ca6ee3-1465869812.jpg

Members online

Latest posts