Alpine Linux

hacktheworld

Reaction score
Credits
I would like to try Alpine Linux, I would like to know if Alpine Linux is suitable for daily use and I would like to know which kind of version (Standard or Extendet) is more suitable for this purpose, daily use.
(I’ve used Linux Mint so far)
Thank you

Last edited:

Keep your mint, install Alpine [extended] on to a usb pen-drive with persistence, and run it from there, until you decide yes it will work for you or no its too restrictive.

I would like to try Alpine Linux, I would like to know if Alpine Linux is suitable for daily use and I would like to know which kind of version (Standard or Extendet) is more suitable for this purpose, daily use.
Thank you
Alpine is a small distro, often used for embedded systems. It's quite possible to use it as a daily driver, but to do that I found it needed quite a bit of work to set up. Without going into all the details here, these are the resources I used to get it fully featured for my daily purposes, in no particular order:

You might be crying a lot or throwing fists in anger at your computer far more often than with Linux Mint. There's nothing wrong with wanting to try something new but be aware that using a different distro will be a different experience from the one you lived with for long enough, or from MacOS or Windows. Especially one like Alpine Linux which has its fans, currently #29 on the "main" list of Distrowatch but there's not much mention of it in the same sentence as Debian, Fedora and other top distros.

A few users, including me, seem to have trouble getting any attention about Slackware these days. Imagine talking about Alpine Linux? About Void Linux which also has its "cult" and seems to be very well made? The community in favor of Alpine would be as great as that for Linux Mint, but the main difference is it will be much smaller. You will want to be helped as quickly as possible when desperation strikes.

Note that osprey above offered five links. You will have to read and pay attention to instructions much more often than asking others for help with this Alpine Linux. Some people don't like that style, they prefer communication.

(Maybe this is a good idea for a portable phone. On the front page of Distrowatch now, there's news about a new release of Postmarket OS, which is based on Alpine.)

I hope you aren't seriously going to change completely from one Linux OS to another. You could remain using Mint primarily, and have Alpine or other distro as "fun project". Then you could just stop using it and forget about it when you get tired of it and/or if something else catches your interest.

You might be crying a lot or throwing fists in anger at your computer far more often than with Linux Mint. There's nothing wrong with wanting to try something new but be aware that using a different distro will be a different experience from the one you lived with for long enough, or from MacOS or Windows. Especially one like Alpine Linux which has its fans, currently #29 on the "main" list of Distrowatch but there's not much mention of it in the same sentence as Debian, Fedora and other top distros.

A few users, including me, seem to have trouble getting any attention about Slackware these days. Imagine talking about Alpine Linux? About Void Linux which also has its "cult" and seems to be very well made? The community in favor of Alpine would be as great as that for Linux Mint, but the main difference is it will be much smaller. You will want to be helped as quickly as possible when desperation strikes.

Note that osprey above offered five links. You will have to read and pay attention to instructions much more often than asking others for help with this Alpine Linux. Some people don't like that style, they prefer communication.

(Maybe this is a good idea for a portable phone. On the front page of Distrowatch now, there's news about a new release of Postmarket OS, which is based on Alpine.)

I hope you aren't seriously going to change completely from one Linux OS to another. You could remain using Mint primarily, and have Alpine or other distro as "fun project". Then you could just stop using it and forget about it when you get tired of it and/or if something else catches your interest.
I really appreciate your point of view that demonstrates good competence in the matter. From your answer I could understand well that install and use Alpine Linux does not suit me because it would not match my needs. I’m looking for an operating system for everyday use that has better security features than Linux Mint, but that doesn’t give me too much headache. I’m understanding that finding an operating system that combines greater security with usability (for everyday use) is not easy at all. My research will continue but I doubt that I will find a suitable solution for myself, also because in the past I tried several other Linux distributions but they did not satisfy me and "punctually" I returned to Linux Mint. Thank you very much for your answer, and I take this opportunity to wish you a Happy New Year.

I’m looking for an operating system for everyday use that has better security features than Linux Mint,
There are several distributions that claim to have better security, but with many of them functionality suffers. A couple of what I personally consider good compromises are, Parrot Home edition, and MX-Linux. But as with any OS, it doesn't matter how good the system is, the security lays between the back of the seat and the keypad.

There are several distributions that claim to have better security, but with many of them functionality suffers. A couple of what I personally consider good compromises are, Parrot Home edition, and MX-Linux. But as with any OS, it doesn't matter how good the system is, the security lays between the back of the seat and the keypad.
Thank you, but I had bad experience both with Parrot Home edition and MX-Linux, there is another valid alternative?

The most secure distributions are those designed for pen-testing, and are not suitable as everyday desktop distributions,
the only other one that I can think of which may be suitable is Pure OS, but its a long time since I tested it.

The most secure distributions are those designed for pen-testing, and are not suitable as everyday desktop distributions,
the only other one that I can think of which may be suitable is Pure OS, but its a long time since I tested it.
Thank you very much.
I wish you an Happy New Year!

Members online