Alternatives to Gmail & Open Src App's for Converting Text to PDF's

Alexzee

Reaction score
Credits
Recently, approximately 800 e-mails were removed from a relatives gmail inbox.
Additionally I've had to consistently deconstruct the url to gmail just to be able to get into my gmail inbox.
--:-Suspicion of manipulation and other security concerns are on the table.--:-

Blue Mail only provides 2GB's of storage. Proton works well however; 200 MiB's isn't going to cut it.
I'm asking for clarification as to if Thunderbird can really be trusted.....'do tell'--
And, "IF" Google or Mozilla has some relationship with Thunderbird that can be manipulated?

To date there are 350 plus e-mail's I've written so I can publish them for the Linux Community on my Linux Blog.
Is there a way to convert these into PDF's or some other text file format so I can transfer them to the 1 TB Toshibia Canvio?

Your feedback and suggestions are essential to me, seriously:-:)
Alex

I used to convert docs to PDF using LibreOffice , it's a while now so i do not know if it will work on downloaded e-mails

I used to convert docs to PDF using LibreOffice , it's a while now so i do not know if it will work on downloaded e-mails
I'll give it a spin and see, thanks!
Have you tried Joplin?

Since retiring I have no need, what i use to do was download the e-mail open with LibreOffice writer, click on file, select export as, and choose format [pdf in this case]

Since retiring I have no need, what i use to do was download the e-mail open with LibreOffice writer, click on file, select export as, and choose format [pdf in this case]
Found instructions to download the e-mail.
I'll try it and let you know.

Works well Brickwizard, Thanks.

I'm not in favor of doing this 320 times but it is what it is.

Attachments

• PDF.png
    PDF.png
    127.3 KB · Views: 69
If the email address in question is a gmail.com address......

Open gmail.... click the three-dots menu in the top-right corner and select "Print."

Then click the drop-down menu next to "Destination" and select "Save as PDF." ...maybe need to configure other options like layout and margins.....maybe

Worth a try.....even in other mail clients ?

If the email address in question is a gmail.com address......

Open gmail.... click the three-dots menu in the top-right corner and select "Print."

Then click the drop-down menu next to "Destination" and select "Save as PDF." ...maybe need to configure other options like layout and margins.....maybe

Worth a try.....even in other mail clients ?
Quite maddening to do this for each individual e-mail.

I'll give Thunderbird a spin. Looking here:

Are you using Thunderbird Condobloke?
And, if so, have you had success w/o any issues?

re you using Thunderbird Condobloke?

I'm not Condo, but I use Thunderbird to deal with tens of thousands of emails. (I get a whole lot of emails across many accounts.) I've used Thunderbird without issue (more or less) for many years.

The only time I had significant issues was when I had to redo my accounts after a borked MAJOR upgrade. This wasn't a regular upgrade. It was a major upgrade where they changed pretty much everything. The upgrade went smoothly, but it broke an extension. I didn't realize this, I tried to revert to a previous version, and I broke it.

So, I'm not sure that I can blame that on them. It took me a while to figure out that it was a broken extension. If I'd read the release notes, I'd have known that was the likely culprit.

I'm not Condo, but I use Thunderbird to deal with tens of thousands of emails. (I get a whole lot of emails across many accounts.) I've used Thunderbird without issue (more or less) for many years.

The only time I had significant issues was when I had to redo my accounts after a borked MAJOR upgrade. This wasn't a regular upgrade. It was a major upgrade where they changed pretty much everything. The upgrade went smoothly, but it broke an extension. I didn't realize this, I tried to revert to a previous version, and I broke it.

So, I'm not sure that I can blame that on them. It took me a while to figure out that it was a broken extension. If I'd read the release notes, I'd have known that was the likely culprit.
Have you ever had e-mail dissappear from Thunderbird?

Are you using Thunderbird Condobloke?
Yes, I have had success. No missing mail. Pain in the butt "upgrades", definitely a mozilla product, they say what they think you wish to hear. .....Hence, my looking elsewhere for a company that does not rely on 'spin'.
I do not trust mozilla.....hence I do not trust thunderbird. The fact that I need to use gmail as well as thunderbird is a constant worry. I could always create a 'persona', and feed gmail with nothing but bs
Microsoft relies on 'spin'
Thunderbird and mozilla rely on 'spin''. Yes a good product, but I am left wondering just exactly what goes on under the covers.
Is there a 'relationship' involving google/mozilla etc etc...of course.

Linux does not rely on spin....I am looking for a company that "fits" with Linux.

I suppose I could always use POP email, and store my emails on my pc....that would not be a biggie....it would consume less than 10 gb....I have plenty of room.

Overall....Dunno/not sure.
What I do know is the whole email scenario needs a big shake up. When lack of trust starts to creep in, the end result is never good.

very grumbly mood this morning

Have you ever had e-mail dissappear from Thunderbird?

Nope. Just don't go use the webmail and delete it there on the server. I rely on IMAP.

I removed a bunch of mail lately. Right now, it deals with about 6k emails across many accounts.

I can't find anything better. I've tried. It works, however.

Yes, I have had success. No missing mail. Pain in the butt "upgrades", definitely a mozilla product, they say what they think you wish to hear. .....Hence, my looking elsewhere for a company that does not rely on 'spin'.
I do not trust mozilla.....hence I do not trust thunderbird. The fact that I need to use gmail as well as thunderbird is a constant worry. I could always create a 'persona', and feed gmail with nothing but bs
Microsoft relies on 'spin'
Thunderbird and mozilla rely on 'spin''. Yes a good product, but I am left wondering just exactly what goes on under the covers.
Is there a 'relationship' involving google/mozilla etc etc...of course.

Linux does not rely on spin....I am looking for a company that "fits" with Linux.

I suppose I could always use POP email, and store my emails on my pc....that would not be a biggie....it would consume less than 10 gb....I have plenty of room.

Overall....Dunno/not sure.
What I do know is the whole email scenario needs a big shake up. When lack of trust starts to creep in, the end result is never good.

very grumbly mood this morning
You're feedback and honesty is greatly valued: thank you!

And, I agree, a big shake up is needed to put an end to the bs!

Members online