Any ideas on what can I do with my dell inspiron 15 5567 laptop whose replaced battery goes dead every 1 year?

oslon

Reaction score
Credits
I can't sell it as nobody will buy it. I've invested a lot in that laptop. Bough 1TB crucial SATA 2.5'' SSD for 13,500 local currency.(for reference, my current monthly salary is 28,000 local currency).
Bought 8GB ram to make it 16GB for 4,000.
And replaced battery two times in 2 years, 4,000+4,000.
I genuinely think it's a good idea to let go this laptop, but except battery, this does the job well. I am able to run multiple virtual machines in this laptop using virtualbox without getting stuck/freeze. The battery is bad. Is there any way to revive the battery. Being from Nepal, we don't really get opportunity to purchase dell official battery, and we're just purchasing some chinese copy battery that only lasts 1 year(and degrades a lot faster).

Most laptop users I know that are always having battery problems is due to the fact they are always using the laptop with the charger plugged in which I believe wears the battery out.

If using Linux Linux doesn't seem to have the driver support for power management of laptop batteries that Windows OSs seem to have although I may be wrong about that.

If the laptop does what you want it to do use it as it is and don't replace the battery anymore.

Wife has a KA Windows 10 Dell laptop and the battery lasts maybe 2.5 hours to 3.0 hours.
Wife has an KA Windows 10 HP entertainment laptop and the battery lasts 6.0 plus hours.

Laptops and laptop batteries are designed with planned obsolescence in mind and therefore considered to be a disposable item after so long imo.

Last edited:
I can't sell it as nobody will buy it. I've invested a lot in that laptop. Bough 1TB crucial SATA 2.5'' SSD for 13,500 local currency.(for reference, my current monthly salary is 28,000 local currency).
Bought 8GB ram to make it 16GB for 4,000.
And replaced battery two times in 2 years, 4,000+4,000.
I genuinely think it's a good idea to let go this laptop, but except battery, this does the job well. I am able to run multiple virtual machines in this laptop using virtualbox without getting stuck/freeze. The battery is bad. Is there any way to revive the battery. Being from Nepal, we don't really get opportunity to purchase dell official battery, and we're just purchasing some chinese copy battery that only lasts 1 year(and degrades a lot faster).
This is kinda sad bro, at least try find a part were gotten from official product...
If I can, I will find an battery from my country and post it here. So your pc can live for another 5 years.

The problem is battery is dead and doesn't even charge and laptop can't run at all. I guess the laptop will run even if I take out the battery and just plug a charger?

Most laptop users I know that are always having battery problems is due to the fact they are always using the laptop with the charger plugged in which I believe wears the battery out.
That's indeed true but not the only reason...

99% of the people who buy laptop start using it as soon as they get it out of the box without reading manuals which specify for how long one should charge the battery prior first use.

edit:
Although it depends a lot on battery type, modern day batteries have a protection against overcharge, but this still doesn't prevent users from stopping to charge before battery reaches 100%.

It's not good to disconnect battery from power unless it's 100% for instance, manuals should say how to handle your battery.

Last edited:
Hi, your laptop is a 2017 so should not be eating batteries [my dell 15- is now 14 years old and only on its 3rd battery]

Batteries in laptops, tablets, netbooks etc, should be proofed, this is done on a new battery by using until total discharged, fully recharging [whilst off] then repeating 3 or 4 times.
if your machine is killing, even a pattern part battery, then look at what is draining it [windows quick-start/ sleep mode,] and disable if you can. is Something using more power than it should?

If you use it on mains power, KEEP the battery in, it may not charge but will still act as a ballast in the circuit

oh my last 2 batteries were/are Chinese pattern parts which i purchased from Hong Kong

You might be able to find a refurbished battery on ebay.

Another thing you could do an internet search for batteries model. Often times companies will use the same components in new releases. Auto manufacturers do this. I had a 2014 Nissan Juke. A lot of parts in other models, and earlier or later years Juke makes were exactly the same.

Also, if you look around at places like NewEgg there's always someone selling old refurbished laptops, cheap. The one I bought had a generic replacement battery. Considering how much you have invested in your laptop and how much you like it, it may be worth buying an entire cheap laptop just to get the battery.

I would not throw more good money after bad and try the following: run without battery, run from USB (distros like Puppy family will run perfectly well with USB, that might take less juice than regular SSD).
I had a decade old Mac Book Air that run very well with MX, sans battery. Just be sure that it’s never unplugged.

Im not the battery expert but from my understanding
You cannot over charge a laptop battery. When they hit full charge they stop. You can cycle your batter about 300 times. Its also not good to run the battery completely dead. Older machines consume more energy and will naturally will not last as long before requiring a charge. As in the case of an old Dell I have if it is used a lot it gets quite hot and heat affects battery life.

I have had best results by not letting battery drain below 50 percent. If I am some where I can charge I run the machine plugged in. I always make sure batteries are fully charge on my backup boxes when I store them and check them monthly. I think with old hardware you just have to lower your expectation on how long a battery will hold a charge. I guarantee if you fully drain a battery and let it sit for a while its unlikely to charge.

The problem is battery is dead and doesn't even charge and laptop can't run at all. I guess the laptop will run even if I take out the battery and just plug a charger?
I tried find an battery but currency is too high for you, sorry. And you might can use it as desktop pc as you said.

Current currency
1.00 Nepal currency = 0,23 Turkish currency
If it wasnt stopped me from finding a battery for u, I would post it here but it is too high accoring to currency foreign exchange.

I have to agree with @jpnilson on this one. From first-hand experience, I know for a fact that "intelligent" battery power management dates back to the early-to-mid 90s.

I used to work for a local security firm near where I lived here in the UK, best part of 30 years ago. We covered a broad swathe of East Anglia, from Cambridge and Haverhill in the south to Bury St. Edmunds, Thetford and Diss to the north.

One of the firms we covered was an outfit called Vinten Broadcast, based in Bury St. Edmunds. These folks made the motorised tripods used by the big television studio cameras, and they didn't just buy in parts and assemble them like so many do.....oh, no. These guys were industry leaders, making absolutely everything on site, from casting their own chassis components in the on-site foundry, to having a fully-kitted out machine shop where all components were machined to their own exacting specs. They even built their own hydraulic and electronic components, and were for years a fixture on the FTSE 100 share index.

Anyhoo.....

They had for long enough supplied a range of out-door portable cameras, used for filming on location. During the mid-90s, just before I started doing nightly patrols there, they took an active part in developing the chemistry for the then nascent lithium battery technology that was so soon to burst onto the market.

I became quite friendly with one of the guys on the early shift, who was always getting ready for work as I was doing my final site patrol. We often had a natter about all sorts of things, and he was quite a "techie" type for that point in time. He it was who told me Vinten's electronics division had just recently made a breakthrough in the new battery technology.....one which we all take for granted today. They had developed the ability for the battery and the charger to "talk" to one another, so the battery was constantly informing the charger of its "needs" from one second to the next.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

So, JP's quite right. With modern battery technology, so long as all components are functional & working as they should, it's physically impossible for modern batteries to overcharge or mess-up in any way. When they're charged, they're charged; bang! that's IT.......everything just shuts off.

Any issues you do hear about almost invariably involve either worn or faulty components, OR a design flaw of some kind. And design flaws are, I'm sorry to say, becoming more & more common.....especially with everyone having to watch the pennies, and cheap'n'nasty outfits springing up left, right & centre to meet the demand (and often "cutting corners" in the process).

Mike. ;)

I would not throw more good money after bad and try the following: run without battery, run from USB (distros like Puppy family will run perfectly well with USB, that might take less juice than regular SSD).
I had a decade old Mac Book Air that run very well with MX, sans battery. Just be sure that it’s never unplugged.
I have a laptop I have to do that with. Battery went bad so I ordered a Chinese one. The cable wasn't long enough to reach the connector on the mobo. So I just use it plugged in all the time.