Apt updating problems, need help to resolve this.

mvalor2020

Reaction score
Credits
I am somewhat new to Linux, having installed Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon on a 2014 Acer Aspire MS583P-6423 after it crashed after a Windows 10 update during the plandemic in 03/2020, (also knocking out the web cam). So 2-1/2 years ago, and a new hard drive, I install Linux. Now I am getting a problems with updates after refreshing the update manager:

E: Type '“deb' is not known on line 1 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-release.list
E: The list of sources could not be read.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

Now I use sudo modprobe wl just to get my starlink wifi.
How can I resolve this since it will not allow me to access to most websites at this point?
Anyone?

G'day mvalor, Welcome to Linux.org

Tell us how you refreshed the Update manager.....what steps did you take ?

I am somewhat new to Linux, having installed Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon on a 2014 Acer Aspire MS583P-6423 after it crashed after a Windows 10 update during the plandemic in 03/2020, (also knocking out the web cam). So 2-1/2 years ago, and a new hard drive, I install Linux. Now I am getting a problems with updates after refreshing the update manager:

E: Type '“deb' is not known on line 1 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-release.list
E: The list of sources could not be read.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

Now I use sudo modprobe wl just to get my starlink wifi.
How can I resolve this since it will not allow me to access to most websites at this point?
Anyone?
If you post your sources lists here, readers may have some ideas about the errors. You can run the following command in a terminal and paste the result here, preferably in code tags:
Code:
cat /etc/apt/sources.list
also, post the contents of any files in the directory /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ using the same cat command.

I got:
# This system was installed using small removable media
# entries were disabled at the end of the installation process.
# For information about how to configure apt package sources,
# see the sources.list(5) manual.

I'm clueless.

G'day mvalor, Welcome to Linux.org

Tell us how you refreshed the Update manager.....what steps did you take ?
Glad you asked, But, I dont recall, since this happened about 10 days ado when I refreshed the update manager.
It took out my wifi at the same time so I had to USB Teather with the cell until I discovered sudo modprobe wl to connect with starlink again.
Then I could not get some websites like twitter, some I can like youtube.

Its fustrating!

I don't suppose you have Timeshift set up ?

Have you rebooted since this happened?
I would guess that you have, seeing this happened 10 days ago

if you have a connection, you could try

sudo apt update && apt --fix-missing
followed by
sudo apt update && apt upgrade
then
apt autoremove

Or you may consider using the mint update manager to upgrade to mint 21

edit for typo

Last edited:
I don't suppose you have Timeshift set up ?

Have you rebooted since this happened?
I would guess that you have, seeing this happened 10 days ago
If tried time shift but I had waited too long since the earliest shows june 14. Problems started before this date.
I'm going to have to take some classes on this!

Your sources list is a real gem to find out what's missing if anything.

Try running those commands that Brickwizard posted.
Then reboot-
That should help.

If that doesn't solve the issue try upgrading to Linux Mint 21.

Upgrading from Linux mint 20.3, to Linux mint 21.3....is a good move

Why?...because 20.3 gets to 'end of life' in April 2025

'End of Life' means : "End-of-life" or EOL is a term used by software vendors indicating that it is ending or limiting it’s support on the product and/or version to shift focus on their newer products and/or version

Linux Mint 21.3 end of life is not until April 2027......

Have a read through this link....this describes the upgrade process from 20.3 to 21.3

You probably will not need to worry about a Timeshift snapshot....as I understand it you have no data to save on your current install ?

Questions/any part you do not understand....Please ask

If tried time shift but I had waited too long since the earliest shows june 14. Problems started before this date.
I'm going to have to take some classes on this!

TimeShift.
Let me say it again
TimeShift

On this PC, I've used it 3 times to fix a problem on own. With help from the people here, those problems might have been able to fixed without doing that. But I like knowing I that if it comes to it, I can fix a problem without help.

I took one immediately after installation from my USB drive. I take SnapShots after every update. I take one after I install an app and there are no problems. I recently had problem with an app and had do exactly that!

After a given amount of time has passed, TimeShift will delete old SnapShots. I keep notes on the ones I don't want deleted. Doing that will override automatic deletion. When my system has been working fine, I delete some of the old Snapshots. I don't need them after that some time has passed and I know I won't need to restore to time that far back.

In addition to being able to restore on this PC, I can install a fully updated updated Mint and all the apps I've installed on a different machine.

Unlike Windows Restore, TimeShift actually works. It also takes a lot less time. TimeShift was among the very first pieces of advice I was given when I started using Linux and saved a lot of headaches.

If you want to know more about TimeShift, get in touch with @wizardfromoz and @Condobloke

Members online

Latest posts