As a Linux beginner, I would like to learn how to write my own code.

Runze Shu

Reaction score
Credits
As a Linux beginner, I would like to learn how to write my own code. Do respected seniors have any advice for me? Thanks.

Own code for what? What language? What purpose?

The best way to start out is just to use the internet to learn about it...you certainly don't need to write Linux code in order to use the operating system, in fact, the majority of linux users don't.

As dos2unix is getting at, you need be more specific if you want to get anywhere.

Are you asking for the best program to write your code?
Are you asking how to code?

I will be unable to help you with the former as I am completely new to Linux, however, the latter is something that I could offer an input into.

There are several companies that offer such services, you can for example google "learn <programming language you wish to learn here>" and you will be inundated with opportunities to learn your desired language. When programming became an interest of mine, I decided to delve into the languages behind my favourite websites because that's something I wish to be able to make or at least understand how it's made, how the backend works etc. If you google "what is <website> coded in" you'll be more than likely able to find the languages they use. For me, there was never any desire to make money from programming, more of a curiosity and desire to know things.

I hope this helps you? I'm sure you are already aware of where to start and are looking for something more specific. If you are, maybe I or someone much smarter than me can specify where to educate yourself or share some knowledge with you.

As a Linux beginner, I would like to learn how to write my own code. Do respected seniors have any advice for me? Thanks.

Linux is a great environment in which to learn programming. As a Linux user, you have access to all of the tools you’ll ever need, for any type of software development you can think of.

But coding/programming is such a vast field, with many different programming languages and technologies open to you. So before anybody can advise you, we need to know what type of coding/programming you’re interested in.

So the first question you need to answer is:
What kind of software are you interested in developing?

Websites?
Server side Web applications? (Micro-services/SAAS)
Desktop software for users? (Applications, games)
Systems software?
Shared libraries?
Low level OS stuff? e.g. Linux kernel / Linux device drivers
Embedded software (on single board computers like Raspberry Pi, Arduino etc)

Or do you just want to learn how to administer your Linux OS in the terminal using Bash/shellscripting?

If you can tell us what type of coding you’re interested in, we can suggest appropriate programming languages and starting points for you.

Since you're not being specific on what programming language or languages, as a general advice I'd recommend checking some sites, have a look, try some of the stuff you might feel/be interested in, for example:
You can also check on YouTube for tutorials/courses. And of course, if you can get your hands in some digital or physical books that's a good way to start too, for example, here are some good books on bash:
Once you've decided which programming language you'd like to learn, think of a project, that will make things easier for you since you'll be focusing in learning how to solve problems for your project, cause at the end of the day, that's what programming is all about: solving problems. :)
Hope this helps!

Set your goals high, one day you will write your own operating system. I started by learning HTML, CSS and JavaScript.

If you just don't know where to begin with and you just want to have a go at programming as in having a cup of tea for the first time, I recommend you to begin with https://eloquentjavascript.net

As the subtitle says, it's a "Modern Introduction to Programming"; the book is about programming and not just about javascript --it uses javascript as a means to an end. You only need a browser! All the book is in that website and has a sandbox to try your code.

There you'll get a high level perspective on how a computer works, what it takes to code and the tasks around (like testing and debugging). It will give you ideas on where to go next depending on what you've enjoyed the most.

Set your goals high, one day you will write your own operating system. I started by learning HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
Those 3 languages are a great place to start, especially if you're young and new to everything programming.

I'd suggest you first use linux for 2-3 years to get used to it and then learn to write your own code.
You can't become a pilot in NASCAR without learning how to drive a car first.

I'd suggest you first use linux for 2-3 years to get used to it and then learn to write your own code.
You can't become a pilot in NASCAR without learning how to drive a car first.
It really isn't that linear though, there's no reason that OP can't do both. In fact, linux is least likely to have issues with making your own computer programs than it is with the normal stuff people use computers for, reason being the software used for beginner programming is a lot simpler than software used for say, video games.

I started with AceHTML 5 Pro and went on a forum where people used to make modifications for Invision Power Board software, posted graphic design, themes for the software and general chat. They closed down, but it was an easy way to learn because all the people were learning at the same time.

Welcome! As you are a beginner, we would like to recommend you popular coding languages to learn like JavaScript, Ruby, and others.

Apart from that, you must be part of this community and get comfortable with basic Linux commands. Commands like cd (change directory), ls (list files), cp (copy), mv (move), and rm (remove).