Black screen after grub if nomodeset is not set.

Light_7

Reaction score
Credits
I have been using Linux for some time now, currently I’m working on a project and I need it working however, anytime I try booting I get black screen after the grub menu. I read more and realized I need to set monodeset in the grub setting. I did that and walaaa it booted fine. When it got to login window I realized a screen filtering and also see something like rolling from up to down anytime I click or type something.
Below is the necessary info and how the rolling looks like.
85E0A4EA-3CB9-4BC8-92B9-D5EE5DC8DD27.jpeg

Below is the results from ( lshw -sanitize)
762504DA-A850-44AA-A8C6-A069BA788BAF.jpeg

sysinfo.
E20567A5-143B-4966-963B-B69ABC094E4A.jpeg

Another results from ( glxinfo)
EA0C0C57-379C-4648-A3C4-F969664DE761.jpeg

I’ll appreciate any feedback that will help, I need to complete a task, thank you

The "nomodeset" option is really a workaround to get a GUI of some sort up, but it will get a lower resolution, non-accelerated graphical set up that only uses a fraction of the capability of the video card. Basically, it's used to produce a GUI since the proper graphics drivers aren't all in place.

Some more info could be helpful if you provide it. You can boot to a console to get the outputs of the following commands.

To see what the kernel is using as modules and drivers, run in a terminal:
Code:
lspci -nnk | grep -i -A 3 vga

The check on whether there's missing firmware or microcode run, as root:
Code:
dmesg | grep -i firmware
dmest | grep -i microcode

Check the presence of the intel driver:
Code:
dpkg -l | grep -i intel

In any case with Intel graphics, the package: firmware-misc-nonfree, is usually useful to install, so install that if it's not there.

On a machine here that runs Intel video, the following mesa software is installed so I guess you might benefit from having something similar:

libegl-mesa0
libgl1-mesa-dri
libglapi-mesa
libglu1-mesa
libglx-mesa0
mesa-utils-bin
mesa-utils
mesa-va-drivers
mesa-vdpau-drivers
mesa-vulkan-drivers

The "nomodeset" option is really a workaround to get a GUI of some sort up, but it will get a lower resolution, non-accelerated graphical set up that only uses a fraction of the capability of the video card. Basically, it's used to produce a GUI since the proper graphics drivers aren't all in place.

Some more info could be helpful if you provide it. You can boot to a console to get the outputs of the following commands.

To see what the kernel is using as modules and drivers, run in a terminal:
Code:

The check on whether there's missing firmware or microcode run, as root:
Code:
dmesg | grep -i firmware
dmest | grep -i microcode

Check the presence of the intel driver:
Code:
dpkg -l | grep -i intel

In any case with Intel graphics, the package: firmware-misc-nonfree, is usually useful to install, so install that if it's not there.

On a machine here that runs Intel video, the following mesa software is installed so I guess you might benefit from having something similar:

libegl-mesa0
libgl1-mesa-dri
libglapi-mesa
libglu1-mesa
libglx-mesa0
mesa-utils-bin
mesa-utils
mesa-va-drivers
mesa-vdpau-drivers
mesa-vulkan-drivers
Thank you so much. Below are the results of your commands.
B48A5844-B3C3-46FC-B0F9-CDB931C4C26F.jpeg

2.)

dmesg | grep -i firmware
183DBCF5-F7A0-4227-9915-302E708837D8.jpeg

3.)
dmesg | grep -i microcode

A1A2D381-B740-4FEF-AE56-318E19AEDCEB.jpeg

I think there is something serious wrong with my pc. Bro those are the output, what do you think and surely I’ll go ahead and install the softwares you provided Thank you.

Thanks for the details.

It appears that the intel i915 driver is not loaded and may not be present. For example, the output would look similar to the following if the driver was loaded:
Code:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation TigerLake-LP GT2 [Iris Xe Graphics] [8086:9a49] (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Lenovo TigerLake-LP GT2 [Iris Xe Graphics] [17aa:22c9]
        Kernel driver in use: i915 <------      NOTE!!
        Kernel modules: i915

If you had provided the output of:
Code:
dpkg -l | grep -i intel
then the command would have shown whether the X driver for intel is installed. If it was installed, the following would have shown in the output:
Code:
<snip>
xserver-xorg-video-intel
<snip>
That package holds the i915 driver and must be installed. If it's not there, you need to install it.

There is no info on whether the package: firmware-misc-nonfree was installed or not. You should install it if it's absent since it holds i915 firmware which the graphics card uses.

Note the comment on the mesa software in post #2.

Once you get everything installed, reboot without the nomodeset option to the kernel, to see what happens.

On showing the output of commands, it would be preferable if you could use code tags to show the output rather than images, so if you could take a few minutes to arrange that it would make things clearer and easier to manipulate for respondents when referring to it.

Last edited:
Moving this to Kali.

Wizard

Thanks for the details.

It appears that the intel i915 driver is not loaded and may not be present. For example, the output would look similar to the following if the driver was loaded:
Code:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation TigerLake-LP GT2 [Iris Xe Graphics] [8086:9a49] (rev 01)

Code:
dpkg -l | grep -i intel
then the command would have shown whether the X driver for intel is installed. If it was installed, the following would have shown in the output:
Code:
<snip>
xserver-xorg-video-intel
<snip>
That package holds the i915 driver and must be installed. If it's not there, you need to install it.

There is no info on whether the package: firmware-misc-nonfree was installed or not. You should install it if it's absent since it holds i915 firmware which the graphics card uses.

Once you get everything installed, reboot without the nomodeset option to the kernel, to see what happens.

On showing the output of commands, it would be preferable if you could use code tags to show the output rather than images, so if you could take a few minutes to arrange that it would make things clearer and easier to manipulate for respondents when referring to it.
Thank you so much bro, appreciate your time.

I remember I was installing the drivers i915 and got an error yesterday showing that dpkg cannot configure the package.

I have been using Linux for some time now, currently I’m working on a project and I need it working however, anytime I try booting I get black screen after the grub menu. I read more and realized I need to set monodeset in the grub setting. I did that and walaaa it booted fine. When it got to login window I realized a screen filtering and also see something like rolling from up to down anytime I click or type something.
Below is the necessary info and how the rolling looks like.
View attachment 17502

Below is the results from ( lshw -sanitize)
View attachment 17503
sysinfo.
View attachment 17505

Another results from ( glxinfo)
View attachment 17504

I’ll appreciate any feedback that will help, I need to complete a task, thank you
Thanks for the details.

Code:

Code:
dpkg -l | grep -i intel
Code:
<snip>
xserver-xorg-video-intel
<snip>

Code:
L$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
[sudo] password for light:
Setting up intel-platform-vsec-dkms (2023.20.0-21)...
Error! DKMS tree already contains: intel-platform-vsec-dkms-2023.20.0-21
You cannot add the same module/version combo more than once.
The kernel is built without module signing facility, modules won't be signed
Building module:
Cleaning build area...
'make' -j8 KDIR=/lib/modules/6.5.0-kali3-amd64/build modules MODULE_VERSION=2023.11.1-36...(bad exit status: 2)
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 6.5.0-kali3-amd64 (x86_64)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/intel-platform-cse-dkms/2023.11.1-36/build/make.log for more information.
Error! This module/version has already been built on: 6.5.0-kali3-amd64
Directory /var/lib/dkms/intel-platform-vsec-dkms/2023.20.0-21/6.5.0-kali3-amd64/x86_64 already exists. Use the dkms remove function before trying to build again.
dkms autoinstall on 6.5.0-kali3-amd64/x86_64 failed for intel-platform-cse-dkms(10) intel-platform-vsec-dkms(3)
Error! One or more modules failed to install during autoinstall.
Refer to previous errors for more information.
dpkg: error processing package intel-platform-vsec-dkms (--configure):
installed intel-platform-vsec-dkms package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 11
Setting up intel-platform-cse-dkms (2023.11.1-36).
Error! DKMS tree already contains: intel-platform-cse-dkms-2023.11.1-36
Building module:
Cleaning build area...
'make' -j8 KDIR=/lib/modules/6.5.0-kali3-amd64/build modules MODULE_VERSION=2023.11.1-36...(bad exit status: 2)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/intel-platform-cse-dkms/2023.11.1-36/build/make.log for more information.
Refer to previous errors for more information,
dpkg: error processing package intel-platform-cse-dkms (--configure):
Directory /var/lib/dkms/intel-platform-vsec-dkms/2023.20.0-21/6.5.0-kali3-amd64/x86_64 already exists. Use the dkms remove function before trying to build again.
dkms autoinstall on 6.5.0-kali3-amd64/x86_64 failed for intel-platform-cse-dkms (10) intel-platform-vsec-dkms (3)
installed intel-platform-cse-dkms package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 11
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of intel-1915-dkms:
intel-1915-dkms depends on intel-platform-vsec-dkms; however:
Package intel-platform-vsec-dkms is not configured yet.
intel-1915-dkms depends on intel-platform-cse-dkms; however:
Package intel-platform-cse-dkms is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing package intel-i915-dkms (--configure):
dependency problems leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
-
W
intel-platform-vsec-dkms
intel-platform-cse-dkms
intel-1915-dkms

There is normally no need to build the driver for the intel graphics card. Kali has the driver package, as can be seen here: https://pkg.kali.org/pkg/xserver-xorg-video-intel. If it's not installed, it needs to be.

As mentioned in post #4, as well as that package with the driver, the firmware is needed.

If by chance you have downloaded drivers from Intel, rather than using the Kali repos, it's best to remove that and get the standard distro offerings in place to see if that resolves the issue, which it often, if not always, does.

There is normally no need to build the driver for the intel graphics card. Kali has the driver package, as can be seen here: https://pkg.kali.org/pkg/xserver-xorg-video-intel. If it's not installed, it needs to be.

As mentioned in post #4, as well as that package with the driver, the firmware is needed.

If by chance you have downloaded drivers from Intel, rather than using the Kali repos, it's best to remove that and get the standard distro offerings in place to see if that resolves the issue, which it often, if not always, does.
unfortunately i keep getting previous error anytime i try installing the https://pkg.kali.org/pkg/xserver-xorg-video-intel.

Code:
sudo apt-get -y install xserver-xorg-video-intel
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
The following additional packages will be installed:
  libxvmc1
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libxvmc1 xserver-xorg-video-intel
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 7 not upgraded.
3 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 1,668 kB of archives.
After this operation, 3,360 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://kali.download/kali kali-rolling/main amd64 libxvmc1 amd64 2:1.0.12-2 [25.6 kB]
Get:2 http://http.kali.org/kali kali-rolling/main amd64 xserver-xorg-video-intel amd64 2:2.99.917+git20210115-1 [1,642 kB]
Fetched 1,668 kB in 5s (362 kB/s)                   
Selecting previously unselected package libxvmc1:amd64.
(Reading database ... 586706 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../libxvmc1_2%3a1.0.12-2_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking libxvmc1:amd64 (2:1.0.12-2) ...
Selecting previously unselected package xserver-xorg-video-intel.
Preparing to unpack .../xserver-xorg-video-intel_2%3a2.99.917+git20210115-1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking xserver-xorg-video-intel (2:2.99.917+git20210115-1) ...
Setting up intel-platform-vsec-dkms (2023.20.0-21) ...

Building module:
Cleaning build area...
dkms autoinstall on 6.5.0-kali3-amd64/x86_64 failed for intel-platform-cse-dkms(10) intel-platform-vsec-dkms(3)
 installed intel-platform-vsec-dkms package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 11
Setting up libxvmc1:amd64 (2:1.0.12-2) ...
Setting up intel-platform-cse-dkms (2023.11.1-36) ...

Building module:
Cleaning build area...
 installed intel-platform-cse-dkms package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 11
Setting up xserver-xorg-video-intel (2:2.99.917+git20210115-1) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of intel-i915-dkms:
 intel-i915-dkms depends on intel-platform-vsec-dkms; however:
 intel-i915-dkms depends on intel-platform-cse-dkms; however:

dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Processing triggers for man-db (2.12.0-1) ...
Processing triggers for kali-menu (2023.4.6) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.37-12) ...
 intel-platform-vsec-dkms
 intel-platform-cse-dkms
 intel-i915-dkms
[ Rootkit Hunter version 1.4.6 ]
File updated: searched for 182 files, found 151
needrestart is being skipped since dpkg has failed
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Code:
L$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
[sudo] password for light:
Setting up intel-platform-vsec-dkms (2023.20.0-21)...
Building module:
Cleaning build area...
Setting up intel-platform-cse-dkms (2023.11.1-36).
Building module:
Cleaning build area...
Refer to previous errors for more information,
dkms autoinstall on 6.5.0-kali3-amd64/x86_64 failed for intel-platform-cse-dkms (10) intel-platform-vsec-dkms (3)
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of intel-1915-dkms:
intel-1915-dkms depends on intel-platform-vsec-dkms; however:
intel-1915-dkms depends on intel-platform-cse-dkms; however:
dependency problems leaving unconfigured
-
W
intel-platform-vsec-dkms
intel-platform-cse-dkms
intel-1915-dkms
after removing [
sudo apt-get --purge remove intel-platform-vsec-dkms intel-platform-cse-dkms intel-i915-dkms ] and trying to install

Code:
sudo apt-get -y install xserver-xorg-video-intel
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
xserver-xorg-video-intel is already the newest version (2:2.99.917+git20210115-1).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 7 not upgraded.

from all the previous steps, everrything in use now
Code:
└─$ dpkg -l | grep -i intel
ii  firmware-intel-sound                             20230515-3+kali1                          all          Binary firmware for Intel sound DSPs
ii  firmware-ipw2x00                                 20230515-3+kali1                          all          Binary firmware for Intel Pro Wireless 2100, 2200 and 2915
ii  firmware-iwlwifi                                 20230515-3+kali1                          all          Binary firmware for Intel Wireless cards
rc  firmware-sof-signed                              2023.09-1                                 all          Intel SOF firmware - signed
ii  gir1.2-ibus-1.0:amd64                            1.5.29~rc2-1                              amd64        Intelligent Input Bus - introspection data
ii  i965-va-driver:amd64                             2.4.1+dfsg1-1                             amd64        VAAPI driver for Intel G45 & HD Graphics family
ii  ibus                                             1.5.29~rc2-1                              amd64        Intelligent Input Bus - core
ii  ibus-data                                        1.5.29~rc2-1                              all          Intelligent Input Bus - data files
ii  intel-fw-gpu                                     2023.25.6-231~22.04                       all          Firmware package for Intel integrated and discrete GPUs
ii  intel-level-zero-gpu                             1.3.26241.33-647~22.04                    amd64        Intel(R) Graphics Compute Runtime for oneAPI Level Zero.
ii  intel-media-va-driver-non-free:amd64             23.3.5+ds1-1                              amd64        VAAPI driver for the Intel GEN8+ Graphics family
ii  intel-microcode                                  3.20231114.1                              amd64        Processor microcode firmware for Intel CPUs
ii  intel-opencl-icd                                 23.35.27191.9-1                           amd64        Intel graphics compute runtime for OpenCL
ii  iucode-tool                                      2.3.1-3                                   amd64        Intel processor microcode tool
ii  level-zero                                       1.11.0-647~22.04                          amd64        Intel(R) Graphics Compute Runtime for oneAPI Level Zero.
ii  libdrm-intel1:amd64                              2.4.117-1                                 amd64        Userspace interface to intel-specific kernel DRM services -- runtime
ii  libdrm-intel1:i386                               2.4.117-1                                 i386         Userspace interface to intel-specific kernel DRM services -- runtime
ii  libibus-1.0-5:amd64                              1.5.29~rc2-1                              amd64        Intelligent Input Bus - shared library
ii  libigc1:amd64                                    1.0.15136.3-1                             amd64        Intel graphics compiler for OpenCL -- core libs
ii  libigdfcl1:amd64                                 1.0.15136.3-1                             amd64        Intel graphics compiler for OpenCL -- OpenCL library
ii  libigdgmm12:amd64                                22.3.12+ds1-1                             amd64        Intel Graphics Memory Management Library -- shared library
ii  libipt2                                          2.0.6-1                                   amd64        Intel Processor Trace Decoder Library
ii  libmfx1:amd64                                    23.2.1-647~22.04                          amd64        Intel Media SDK -- shared library
ii  libmfxgen1:amd64                                 23.2.1-647~22.04                          amd64        Intel oneVPL GPU Runtime -- shared library
ii  python3-ibus-1.0                                 1.5.29~rc2-1                              all          Intelligent Input Bus - introspection overrides for Python (Python 3)
ii  whois                                            5.5.20                                    amd64        intelligent WHOIS client
ii  xserver-xorg-video-intel                         2:2.99.917+git20210115-1                  amd64        X.Org X server -- Intel i8xx, i9xx display driver

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Iris Plus Graphics G7 [8086:8a52] (rev 07)
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Iris Plus Graphics G7 [103c:86ab]
00:04.0 Signal processing controller [1180]: Intel Corporation Processor Power and Thermal Controller [8086:8a03] (rev 03)

Yet i keep getting black screen unless [monodeset] is set.

Thanks for using code tags. It makes it much easier to read and digest.

Perhaps you could check the xorg log file: Xorg.0.log, to see if there's any hint there.

In the case of my machine which does load the i915 driver, this is the output for the following command:
Code:
$ grep -i intel Xorg.0.log
[   25.767 (II) modeset(0): glamor X accelertion enabled on Mesa Intel(R) Xe Graphics (TGL GT2)

What does your log file output with that command?
The Xorg.0.log file may be in various locations, for example in: /home/<user>/.local/share/xorg/, or /var/log/. Sometimes there's an old Xorg.0.log file in these directories, so make sure you are looking into the most recent one which refers to your current boot. You can check the dates of the files to make sure.

Note this machine which does load the correct driver runs the very same xerver-xorg-video-intel package as shown in your output.

You could sift through the whole Xorg.0.log file to check if there are any errors of any sort logged. They are usually marked with "(EE)".

What else comes to mind at the moment is to double check that all of the mesa software mentioned in post #2 is installed.

Perhaps you could check the xorg log file: Xorg.0.log, to see if there's any hint there.

In the case of my machine which does load the i915 driver, this is the output for the following command:
Code:
[   25.767 (II) modeset(0): glamor X accelertion enabled on Mesa Intel(R) Xe Graphics (TGL GT2)

The Xorg.0.log file may be in various locations, for example in: /home/<user>/.local/share/xorg/, or /var/log/. Sometimes there's an old Xorg.0.log file in these directories, so make sure you are looking into the most recent one which refers to your current boot. You can check the dates of the files to make sure.

Note this machine which does load the correct driver runs the very same xerver-xorg-video-intel package as shown in your output.

You could sift through the whole Xorg.0.log file to check if there are any errors of any sort logged. They are usually marked with "(EE)".

What else comes to mind at the moment is to double check that all of the mesa software mentioned in post #2 is installed.
Thank you so much for your time.

Below is the only suspicious I see from ( catting Xorg.0.log ) however it is the most recently which corresponds to my current running OS. Don’t really know if the message in the code tag will be clear, im sorry I will have to use my phone now

Code:
[
[
[
89.710] (II) This device may have been added with another device file.
120.917] (**) Option "fd" "24"
120.917] (II) event3
Power Button: device removed
[
[
[
-
120.917] (**) Option "fd" "27"
120.917] (II) event2
120.917] (**) Option "fd" "28"
120.917] (II) evento - AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: device removed
120.917] (**) Option "fd" "29"
120.917] (II) event4 ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad: device removed
120.918] (II) systemd-logind: got pause for 13:68
120.918] (II) systemd-logind: got pause for 13:66
120.918] (II) systemd-logind: got pause for 13:67
120.919] (II) systemd-logind: got pause for 13:64
120.920] (II) libinput: ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad: SetProperty on 264 called but device is disabled.
This driver cannot change properties on a disabled device
[ 120.921] (II) libinput: ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad: SetProperty on 252 called but device is disabled.
[
120.921] (II) libinput: ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad: SetProperty on 275 called but device is disabled.
[ 120.921] (II) libinput: ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad: SetProperty on 275 called but device is disabled.
[
120.921] (II) libinput: ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad: SetProperty on 244 called but device is disabled.
[
120.921] (II) libinput: ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad: SetProperty on 250 called but device is disabled.
[
120.921] (II) libinput: ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad: SetProperty on 246 called but device is disabled.
[
120.921] (II) libinput: ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad: SetProperty on 248 called but device is disabled.
[
120.921] (II) libinput: ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad: SetProperty on 254 called but device is disabled.
[
120.922] (II) libinput: ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad: SetProperty on 230 called but device is disabled.
[
120.922] (II) libinput: ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad: SetProperty on 257 called but device is disabled.
[
120.922] (II) libinput: ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad: SetProperty on 257 called but device is disabled.
[
[
120.922] (II) libinput: ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad: SetProperty on 260 called but device is disabled.
[
120.923] (II) libinput: ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad: SetProperty on 262 called but device is disabled.
[ 125.995] (II) UnloadModule: "libinput"
Power Button: device removed
-
[
125.995] (II) systemd-logind; releasing fd for 13:68
[ 126.020] (II) UnloadModule: "libinput"
[ 126.020] (II) systemd-logind: releasing fd for 13:64
126.052] (II) UnloadModule: "libinput"
[
126.052] (II) systemd-logind: releasing fd for 13:66
126.084] (II) UnloadModule: "libinput"
[
126.084] (II) systemd-logind: releasing fd for 13:67
126.106] (II) Server terminated successfully (0). Closing log file.

Code:

After a hard research I realized I could provide { i915.modeset } to replace { nomodeset quiet splash } In the grub settings . After doing that the pc booted fine without any previous error. Just that it’s little bit freezing the cursor. And any time I open an app the screen roll from the top to down, it’s like lagging. And when I’m in the terminal, anything I type roll the screen from up to down, closing and opening the terminal, any sensor of using the laptop cause it to lag that way. I wish I could show you that through video. Is there any ways I could send you a short video of what I’m taking about, even if not here. Telegram or any prefared platform will help thank you.

Glad to hear of that success.

In the case of the screen irregularities that you describe, there is another kernel option which could be tried:
Code:
 i915.enable_psr=0
This one refers to Panel Self Refresh (PSR), a power saving feature used by Intel graphics and is known to cause similar problems. It's entirely reversible, so may be worth a try.

Another approach is to have a look at the intel man page: man intel. There are a number of options there which can influence screen behaviour, for example: screen tearing, acceleration and vertical refresh rate which may all be considered in your case. The way they are configured is to write a config snippet of the form:
Code:
Section "Device"
    Identifier "Card0"
    Driver     "i915"
     Option "NoAccel" "on"
EndSection

See examples in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/, and one can place the configuration snippets in this directory or /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/.

On the output of the Xorg.0.log in post # 14, libinput appears to be not running the mouse and keyboard, which it is on my machine. Perhaps the evdev software is doing that on your machine, but it's a bit out of my knowledge base at the moment. The libinput software has largely replaced evdev in recent times.

Glad to hear of that success.

In the case of the screen irregularities that you describe, there is another kernel option which could be tried:
Code:
 i915.enable_psr=0
This one refers to Panel Self Refresh (PSR), a power saving feature used by Intel graphics and is known to cause similar problems. It's entirely reversible, so may be worth a try.

Another approach is to have a look at the intel man page: man intel. There are a number of options there which can influence screen behaviour, for example: screen tearing, acceleration and vertical refresh rate which may all be considered in your case. The way they are configured is to write a config snippet of the form:
Code:
Section "Device"
    Identifier "Card0"
    Driver     "i915"
     Option "NoAccel" "on"
EndSection

See examples in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/, and one can place the configuration snippets in this directory or /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/.

On the output of the Xorg.0.log in post # 14, libinput appears to be not running the mouse and keyboard, which it is on my machine. Perhaps the evdev software is doing that on your machine, but it's a bit out of my knowledge base at the moment. The libinput software has largely replaced evdev in recent times.
I still get black scree for adding i915.enable_psr=0. Unless i use i915.modeset=0. And after configuring /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ to have the code you provided earlier in a file called "10-intel.conf" i still get black screen. CTRL + ALT F2 and checking the error i realized Xserver failed to start. Before i could boot to GUI, I have to set 1915.modeset=0 in grub and remove the code you provided earlier which i saved at /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-intel.conf. yet the system keeps freezing and slow with earlier described problems

I checked the current running proccess and realized some applications are taking high memory (with "top" command). as shown in the attachment
Untitled.jpeg

That 98.3% memory is extremely abnormal. Here it is 0.3%. It makes me think of booting into text mode, removing and then re-installing X. You could consider booting to text, removing and purging X, then upgrading, then reinstalling X ... just a thought. It's hard to be definitive at this point after so many approaches haven't been successful.

Another, perhaps unwelcome suggestion, is to move to the "mother" distro of Kali, which is debian, and then simply install all of those applications that Kali does by default, so that you have a more stable platform than Kali has been able to provide in this case, but still with all the apps that Kali provides.

Last edited:
I did that and it didn’t resolve the issue. I then tried to install and switch to lightdm but when restarted, it booted to text mode until I switch to root in the text mode and reinstalled the gnome.

Staff online

Members online