Can't install any OS

vixryawa

Reaction score
Credits
So. I used to have Windows on my Xiaomi Notebook Air 13, then I had to install Ubuntu on it as dual-boot 3 years ago. Last two years I haven't been using the laptop and now decided to uninstall Windows and Ubuntu and install EndeavourOS. But I've made some mistakes.

From Ubuntu I used "Uninstall" tool to uninstall Windows. It froze in the process. Then I tried to reboot, but I couldn't - grub was corrupted somehow and nothing helped. So I was like okay. Then I'll boot to Windows.

It worked fine. I reformatted the disk part that I used for Ubuntu and the option "Ubuntu" disappeared from the BIOS. Then I tried to install Endeavour: I downloaded the ISO, burnt it to the flash drive, chose in BIOS "Disable secure boot" and made this USB my first priority. But it stacked at "Triggering uevents". Nothing from the Internet helped.

Again, I was like okay, I'll try Ubuntu again since I was able to install it 3 years ago on my laptop. It didn't work, stacked after "SGX disabled by BIOS". At some point I've noticed that I don't have my Windows anymore, so now I can't boot at all.

Since then, I've tried different flash drives, different ways to make a LiveCD (dd on my Mac, Rufus on the Windows, Ventoy, Etcher), different Linux distributives, I've even tried another SSD! This SSD has Zorin and Windows but neither of them boot correctly (Zorin stacks at login screen, Windows has blue screen).

I'm just... So so lost. I don't even understand why this is happening, what can cause this problem. Maybe you have any ideas?

Xiaomi Notebook Air 13

Not the fastest in the world but has a reliable mid-range i3 or i5 8th gen CPU, if you did not as yet, disable windows-fast boot [quick-start] and do a full power re-boot before you start

welcome to the forums

Why Linux fails to load/install direct to HDD, common reasons
1] Corrupt download [check SHA sum]
2] bad burn to installation medium [try again] [if you used Rufus then try Balena Etcher]
3] Wind 8.2 and higher quick start/fast boot or secure boot not disabled [doesn't normally apply to older versions]
4] defective pen-drive/DVD
5] hardware fault,
5A] If old style HDD run integrity check
5B]if SATA SSD check for hidden partition at the beginning of drive [this will stop Grub from loading] and delete it before re-installing Linux
If M2.NVMe check, your system is NVMe compatible [not all older kit is]

So. I used to have Windows on my Xiaomi Notebook Air 13, then I had to install Ubuntu on it as dual-boot 3 years ago. Last two years I haven't been using the laptop and now decided to uninstall Windows and Ubuntu and install EndeavourOS. But I've made some mistakes.

From Ubuntu I used "Uninstall" tool to uninstall Windows. It froze in the process. Then I tried to reboot, but I couldn't - grub was corrupted somehow and nothing helped. So I was like okay. Then I'll boot to Windows.

It worked fine. I reformatted the disk part that I used for Ubuntu and the option "Ubuntu" disappeared from the BIOS. Then I tried to install Endeavour: I downloaded the ISO, burnt it to the flash drive, chose in BIOS "Disable secure boot" and made this USB my first priority. But it stacked at "Triggering uevents". Nothing from the Internet helped.

Again, I was like okay, I'll try Ubuntu again since I was able to install it 3 years ago on my laptop. It didn't work, stacked after "SGX disabled by BIOS". At some point I've noticed that I don't have my Windows anymore, so now I can't boot at all.

Since then, I've tried different flash drives, different ways to make a LiveCD (dd on my Mac, Rufus on the Windows, Ventoy, Etcher), different Linux distributives, I've even tried another SSD! This SSD has Zorin and Windows but neither of them boot correctly (Zorin stacks at login screen, Windows has blue screen).

I'm just... So so lost. I don't even understand why this is happening, what can cause this problem. Maybe you have any ideas?
One straight forward way to proceed is to use a live disk or a rescue disk and re-partition the drive.

There are options to leave it as free space, or split it into partitions and write a linux filesystem to it, but the basic step of re-partitioning, and either leaving it as free space or writing a new partition table to the disk should get rid of access to the old data on it and allow the installer of the new distro write a new partition arrangement for its installation.

@vixryawa , I understand your impatience, but it is regarded as rude to have the same thread/question "multi-listed".

Obviously we cannot be expected to know what is going on there, nor their members here.

We do not have crystal balls and you will get conflicting advice.

Close one or the other - there or here.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Members please do not provide further advice until the OP has indicated a decision.

TIA

Wizard

Members online

Latest posts