CHANGE MAC ADDRESS

jaggifzr

Reaction score
Credits
Hello experts i want to change Mac address of wifi router(labled on back side of router) i want to change it permanently ) i have rooted phone also and i ahve laptop also i want a little help, is anybody help me i really need it . im searching from last many days on internet
i tried ETHTOOL and MACCHANGER but not successful,May be i didnt follow properprocedure ,Please Guide i Really need this one
Thanks in Advance

G'day jaggifzr, Welcome to Linux.org

A little more detail please.

Which OS are you running ?....What is the brand and model of the router?

Why is it so urgent to change the mac address ?....who or what is tracking you?

The usual way to change the mac address of a router is by:

• accessng the router's menu system through its IP address;
  • logging in as the administrator;
  • navigate through the menu system to find the mac address in its network settings;
  • determine whether it can be altered (some can't)
  • alter the address.

I guess you are aware of the meaning of the characters and numbers in the mac address, for example, that the first 6 of them identify the manufacturer, with the last 12 being unique. That may be important if you wish to masquerade the mac address as "real".

On a wifi router that connects to the internet through an Internet Service Provider (ISP), the ISP's software may be depending on the mac address of the router to identify it. If that's the case then any new mac address will need to be an approved one, or connection may be denied.

On the other hand, if you are replacing an ISP issued or linked router and wish for it to have the mac address of the original router, you can clone the mac address of the old to the new with the above approach, which the additional step of logging out and shutting down the original router after noting its mac address to write to the new router before connecting the new one.

Hopefully this is relevant to your query.

Last edited:
Thnaks for your reply
i have ubuntu and windows 11 both dual boot in single laptop
The model of Router is UBIQCOM
Reason=ISP block this Mac Address becouse was Using torrent from This DEvice so i want to change and i will not use Torrent Again .

The usual way to change the mac address of a router is by:

• accessng the router's through it's IP address;
  • logging in as the administrator;
  • navigate through the menu system to find the mac address in its network settings;
  • determine whether it can be altered (some can't)
  • alter the address.

I guess you are aware of the meaning of the characters and numbers in the mac address, for example, that the first 6 of them identify the manufacturer, with the last 12 being unique. That may be important if you wish to masquerade the mac address as "real".

On a wifi router that connects to the internet through an Internet Service Provider (ISP), the ISP's software may be depending on the mac address of the router to identify it. If that's the case then any new mac address will need to be an approved one, or connection may be denied.

On the other hand, if you are replacing an ISP issued or linked router and wish for it to have the mac address of the original router, you can clone the mac address of the old to the new with the above approach.

Hopefully this is relevant to your query.
brother i know all these thanks for your reply accordiing to your procedure Mac will not change permanently.. i wnat to change only last 3 digit of Mac Address

macchanger should be available in the Software area of Ubuntu

If not:

Sudo apt install macchanger

brother i treed already but this can change temporary i want permanent means i want to write in EEPROM

Thnaks for your reply
i have ubuntu and windows 11 both dual boot in single laptop
The model of Router is UBIQCOM
Reason=ISP block this Mac Address becouse was Using torrent from This DEvice so i want to change and i will not use Torrent Again .
The issue is thus with the ISP, not the router.

It can be done, but...

sudo ip link set dev your-interface address XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX

One of the purpose's of MAC addresses, is so that you won't spoof ( pretend to be someone else ) another
MAC address.

That's how you do it in Linux, doing it on your Wifi router is another story, and is different for every vendor/model.

The "old-school" way to do it in Linux is...

sudo ifconfig your-interface hw ether XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX

Members online