Chat GPT

Trynna3

Reaction score
Credits
I became accustomed to asking this bot a lot of questions, that including troubleshooting the computer, or understanding various computer related terms and issues. It isn't always accurate, but most of the time it helped me to understand a lot of things in a matter of seconds.
I wanted to ask: how common it is among people here to consult this bot? I don't call it AI, because in my view it is more artificial than intelligent, but yeah, whatever.

Do you consult this tool a lot? Because I do. It even helped me with some stata codes which I would be looking for for ages on various forums.

simply no, this is my answer to a similar question

Personally, I don't think AI is intelligent enough at the moment, if you read some output from AI assisted post, it is often dated, and often dangerously so, at the moment they [to me] seem to act as glorified screen scrapers and compilers, they cannot think laterally

I became accustomed to asking this bot a lot of questions, that including troubleshooting the computer, or understanding various computer related terms and issues. It isn't always accurate, but most of the time it helped me to understand a lot of things in a matter of seconds.
I wanted to ask: how common it is among people here to consult this bot? I don't call it AI, because in my view it is more artificial than intelligent, but yeah, whatever.

Do you consult this tool a lot? Because I do. It even helped me with some stata codes which I would be looking for for ages on various forums.
There are a number of AI sites that have been useful here: Gemini, ChatGPT, Copilot, Perplexity. They have provided info on configuration, code, errors and then a lot of more general queries. If one is not so helpful, often another is. Asking the same question to the one AI site often provides different answers, so persistence can work sometimes to get an answer that is satisfactory. Not all queries get satisfactory answers, but most have for users here. I guess it depends a lot on the questions one asks.

Last edited:
I use Copilot for work often for code stuff, helps me get things done fast.

I will also use ChatGPT from time to time, but it is mostly acting as my search tool. You cant rely on the answers 100%, you need to validate what ChatGPT says, but it does make finding and doing things a lot faster.

To me, its not really intelligence, I look at it as an advanced autocomplete / search tool.

I will also use ChatGPT from time to time, but it is mostly acting as my search tool. You cant rely on the answers 100%, you need to validate what ChatGPT says, but it does make finding and doing things a lot faster.

To me, its not really intelligence, I look at it as an advanced autocomplete / search tool.
One time I even uninstalled copilot from my win10 Pro. Then afraid it could mess up the system I reverted back to the restore point I made beforehand.

I use it daily and LOVE IT. MASSIVELY accelerated my work. I often just ask it for inspiration, like "I want to write a linux blogpost, suggestions for topics?"

You want to try this:

Code:
curl -fsSL https://ollama.com/install.sh | sh
ollama run dolphin-mixtral

and other models supported by ollama. it'll be faster but it'll run on your laptops GPU / CPU.

For general information, i generally see GPT or gemini as a last resort. Search engines give you a bunch of results varying in accuracy right away, when the search engine just doesn't get it, ill ask gemini and it can usually answer commonly known questions with accuracy.

For programming questions, my ordering is this:

1. Try to remember or logically fix the issue.

2. Search engine.

3. Chat GPT.

And usually, my thought process with that is like what i described with gemini: if the search engine isn't pulling up answers to what i need to know, or articles about very similar things that might have the answer, then the super-modern chat bots can clear things up for me a high % of the time.

I've been using the co-pilot on Bing every now and then. It's basically a glorified search engine, but often pretty helpful. It helped to point me in the right direction to understanding routing between local subnets. I've tried ChatGPT and gave up on it. Perhaps it's a little better now, who knows. Bing's co-pilot can be kind of limited though. It won't help with cybersecurity issues. It is problematic that I am only allowed so many questions per session.

Signed,

Matthew Campbell

I tested co-pilot and gemini and didn't like them. ChatGPT I use a lot, version 4.0 (so paid).

Debugging code provided by ChatGPT can be a hell of a job, but most of the time I get helpful answers. In my experience ChatGPT is really useful in helping understand both Linux, C and Rust related questions. It also is remarkable good in research into companies I need to do for my work.

It is much worse in both old and new systems. Questions about my ZX Spectrum Next or my TRS 80, well, let's say I don't use ChatGPT there.

Not surprisingly there already exists a ton of free and free to try alternatives to MS copilot for coding help, and most of them (at least for me) are pretty much annoying and not good enough, I don't know how good copilot is but it's great to see alternatives exist.

I hope free alternatives to improve over time and become decent enough to rely on for coding.

Latest posts