Cheap Laptops

dos2unix

Reaction score
Credits

At the other end of the spectrum, we have laptops like...

.. but only people like @KGIII can afford these. :cool:

Dell isn't a bad brand. These have enough juice to run most modern Linux Distro's.
Both of those are Chromebooks... not a product that I would recommend for Linux. Both only have 16 GB of internal storage, probably eMMC considering their price. They also likely cannot be upgraded to larger SSD's. RAM also is probably not able to upgrade.

In the past few years I've bought several similar cheap Lenovo Ideapad Slim models (except brand new, about $120 "Black Friday" prices)... but they are not Chromebooks. And for the extra cost, they have more storage, 64 GB or 128 GB. They too cannot be upgraded (RAM or SSD), but they run Linux well and the extra storage makes them acceptable for my needs. A reminder though... when I bought them new, it was difficult to find a distro that could use the built in wireless, as it is with many "latest-greatest" computers. They do not have ethernet jacks either, so a wireless dongle was needed right away.

Last edited:
Hmm, cheap laptops.......I don't buy lappies any more but you can find lots suitable for running Linux on Ebay & charity websites, it's where I get all my machines these days. :)

(Just bought a Lenovo Intel i3/4GB ram including PSU for £13.49 from Cancer Research Ebay store.) ;)

Both of those are Chromebooks... not a product that I would recommend for Linux.

I didn't say they were the greatest... :) Only that they could work.
If you want to go with a "real" laptop, the price goes up accordingly.

Staff online