Debian Updates

I do not understand why you would want to turn off the automatic updates, they are quite safe and many will be security updates,
to turn them off please advise what desktop you are using and the full Debian build name/number

Hello sir. Bookworm. It screws up tripwire with automatic installs. Evertyhing should be like on a mac. where updates are installed at user whim.!

It screws up tripwire with automatic installs.
its not a screw-up, its a tripwire doing its job, reporting on changes to critical software/firmware, you can disable auto updates in Debian [ see @f33dm3bits 's post above] but you will then leave yourself in a situation where you will not be getting the best security from Linux

It screws up tripwire with automatic installs
What is Tripwire?

Evertyhing should be like on a mac. where updates are installed at user whim.!
No Linux and MacOS are different, with Linux you can configure what you want and with MacOS you can't change too many settings because it's a proprietary OS. Although even with MacOS you can enable automatic updates.

Hello sir. Bookworm. It screws up tripwire with automatic installs. Evertyhing should be like on a mac. where updates are installed at user whim.!
Tripwire is not an essential program. It can be removed, or configured to keep silent. It can be useful, especially on servers. Overall though, post #4 by @f33dm3bits is the logical, and best answer to the issue you describe in my view.

Here's the info on the package:
Tripwire is a tool that aids system administrators and users in
monitoring a designated set of files for any changes. Used with
system files on a regular (e.g., daily) basis, Tripwire can notify
system administrators of corrupted or tampered files, so damage
control measures can be taken in a timely manner.

Last edited:
G'day debian_updates_etc, Welcome to linux.org

I hesitate what to say to you...

Go back to Mac?...you dont have a Windows mentality, you have a mac mentality.....maybe a bit of both...

My best advice?

Adjust your attitude towards Linux/Debian I have used Linux Mint since 2014. In tat ten years, not one sniff of intrusion,malware,trojan, etc etc etc etc

Tripwire is SO unnecessary. It is also OBVIOUSLY triggered by false positives. Which in turn tells you it has n idea what it is doing !!!.....They are legitimate updates !!!....

To a man/woman ....I can guarantee the membership will be scratching their collective heads and asking the ethers why in the name of whatever is he using THAT ??!!

Do yourself a favour
Get rid of tripwire

Enjoy Linux as it is supposed to be enjoyed.

If you are worried about security because you visit slightly dodgy sites, tighten up your browser.

We can give advice/talk about that if you need.

Last edited:
I have thought further re your thread.

Take a long slow look around this forum re members attitudes.practises regarding security.

Try and stay objective as you read. Spend at least a couple of hours.

If you still feel the way you obviously do about tripwire, you may as well go back to windows/mac.....because that mindset just doesn't work with Linux. Why you would move from one OS that has long term dramas with security/malware/broken updates etc etc etc... to another OS and immediately assume that it has the same dramas...is not logical.

Latest posts