Disk local or storage how to learn

soolan

Reaction score
Credits
Hello

How do I know for sure whether the disks in my system are from the server's own local disk or from a storage?

Is my local disks listed in the output of multipath -ll?

If this is some virtual machine you are renting somewhere what matters is that it works well. Why does it matter whether they store there data on abacuses when it does what you need it to? As for the commands, you're only listing virtual hardware.

If this is some virtual machine you are renting somewhere what matters is that it works well. Why does it matter whether they store there data on abacuses when it does what you need it to? As for the commands, you're only listing virtual hardware.
server physical..

multipath -ll

Are you sure the multipath -ll command only lists external disks?

lsblk will list the local block devices. Not familiar with multipath.

do i need to add a parameter? I also saw the disks I gave from storage with lsblk
The lsblk command can usually let you know which disk is the one that the system is booting from, which may be all that you need to know to infer which disk is storage, since, presumably the storage disk does not have a bootable partition. For example:
Code:
[flip@flop ~]$ lsblk
NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINTS
sda      8:0    0 931.5G  0 disk
├─sda1   8:1    0   200M  0 part /boot/efi
├─sda2   8:2    0    50G  0 part /
├─sda3   8:3    0     6G  0 part [SWAP]
└─sda4   8:4    0 875.3G  0 part /home
sdb      8:16   1  14.9G  0 disk
├─sdb1   8:17   1   613M  0 part
└─sdb2   8:18   1     5M  0 part
sr0     11:0    1  1024M  0 rom
It's clear from this output that /dev/sda holds the bootable partition which is in the /boot directory, and it also holds the root partition. The second drive shown, /dev/sdb, which in this case can be used for storage, just appears as a disk, and the third device, /dev/sr0 is a dvd rom, as shown in the output.

Members online