does anyone know how to download the Game "No Player's Online" (with the terminal?,or without?)

sansisapo

Reaction score
Credits
does anyone know how to download the Game "No Player's Online" (with the terminal?,or without?) cause i've been wanting to play it and it always has a ".x86_64" file,what do i do?

I can't help you myself, but you could tell us what Linux distro you are using and version you are using.

Also whether you know your way around Lutris and Steam.

Welcome to linux.org

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

I can't help you myself, but you could tell us what Linux distro you are using and version you are using.

Also whether you know your way around Lutris and Steam.

Welcome to linux.org

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz
i use Chrome OS,and I useally just use the terminal for everyhing (mostly everything,becides APKs) but i cant ever find a way actually use these type's of files (btw,i downloaded the Game of of itch.io)

Hi sansisapo,

I can help you with downloading and installing "No Players Online" on Chrome OS. Since you mentioned you downloaded the game from itch.io and are comfortable using the terminal, I'll provide detailed steps for both the Steam and itch.io versions. I'll go into detail for each step so it's easy to follow.

Installing the Steam Version

Step 1: Enable Linux on Chrome OS

1. Open Settings: Click on the time in the bottom right corner of your screen and then click on the gear icon to open Settings.
2. Enable Linux (Beta): Scroll down to "Linux (Beta)" in the sidebar and click "Turn On". Follow the prompts to set up Linux. This might take a few minutes.

Step 2: Install Steam
1. Open the Terminal: Once Linux is enabled, you will see a Terminal app in your app drawer. Open it.
2. Update Package List: Type the following commands to update your package list and upgrade any outdated packages:
Code:
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt upgrade
Press Enter after each command and wait for the process to complete.
3. Install Steam: Install Steam by typing the following command:
Code:
    sudo apt install steam
Press Enter and follow any prompts that appear.

Step 3: Download and Install the Game
1. Open Steam: After installation, you can find Steam in your app drawer. Open it and log in with your Steam account.
2. Find the Game: Use the search bar in the Steam Store to find "No Players Online": No Players Online on Steam
3. Purchase/Download the Game: Click on the game, purchase it if necessary, and download it.
4. Launch the Game: Once downloaded, go to your Library, find "No Players Online", and click "Play" to start the game.

Installing the itch.io Version

Step 1: Enable Linux on Chrome OS

Follow the same steps as above to enable Linux (Beta) on your Chrome OS device.

Step 2: Install Wine
1. Open the Terminal: If you haven't already, open the Terminal from your app drawer.
2. Update Package List: Just like before, update your package list:
Code:
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt upgrade
3. Install Wine: Install Wine by typing:
Code:
    sudo apt install wine
Press Enter and wait for the installation to complete.

Step 3: Download the Game
1. Visit itch.io: Go to the game's page on itch.io: No Players Online on itch.io
2. Download the Game: Click the download button to download the Windows version of the game (NoPlayersOnlineDemo.exe).

Step 4: Configure Wine
1. Run Wine Configuration: Type the following command to set up Wine:
Code:
    winecfg
Follow the prompts to complete the setup. This will create the necessary configuration files and directories.

Step 5: Run the Game
1. Navigate to the Download Directory: In the Terminal, navigate to the directory where you downloaded the game. If it's in your Downloads folder, type:
Code:
    cd ~/Downloads
2. Run the Game: Use Wine to run the .exe file:
Code:
    wine NoPlayersOnlineDemo.exe
This will start the game. Follow any prompts that appear to complete the installation.

If you encounter any issues or need further assistance, feel free to ask. Enjoy playing "No Players Online"!

Best regards,
kibasnowpaw

PS. This is only the basics. You can download it with Lutris and run it better with Lutris. I will gladly give you a guide if you want that.

Last edited:
Hey,thanks for the new version,but the thing is,im trying to download the old version,do you know how to do that version?

If you have the game as an EXE file, you can install it the same way as any other EXE file using Wine. If you don't have the EXE file and are looking for it, you might need to ask the developer or search for it on Google.

When it comes to using Wine, the process for installing EXE files is generally the same.

If you want to roll back to an older version of the game on Steam, you will need to perform an update rollback, but it's not that easy. Here's a detailed guide to help you with that process:

Step-by-Step Guide for Installing and Downgrading a Game on Steam in Linux

1. Enable Steam Console:
- Open your terminal and start Steam with the console enabled:
Code:
     steam -console

2. Go to steamdb.info:
- Open your web browser and go to steamdb.info.
- Use the search bar at the top right to find your game.

3. Get Game/App ID Number:
- Click on the game that matches your search.
- Note down the App ID from the URL.

4. Check Game's ACF File:
- Navigate to your Steam install path, usually at ~/.steam/steam/steamapps or ~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps.
- Locate the appmanifest_[appID].acf file.
- Open it with a text editor like gedit or nano.

5. Get Depot ID Number:
- On steamdb.info, find the correct Depot number from the game’s details page.

6. Get Manifest ID Number:
- Click on the Depot number, then click the Manifests tab.
- Find the version you want and note down the Manifest ID.

7. Download the Package:
- In the Steam console, type the following command:
Code:
     download_depot <gameID> <depotID> <manifestID>
- For example:
Code:
     download_depot 236870 236871 8264336280323447139

8. Replace Game Files:
- Once the download is complete, the files will be located in ~/.steam/steam/steamapps/content or ~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/content.
- Navigate to the directory where the files are downloaded and replace your current game files with the downloaded files.

9. Prevent Steam from Updating Your Game:
- Option 1: Edit the ACF File:
- Open the appmanifest_[appID].acf file in a text editor.
- Change the "State Flag" to "4" to indicate that the game is up-to-date.
- Save the file and set it as read-only to prevent Steam from updating it.
Code:
     chmod 444 ~/.steam/steam/steamapps/appmanifest_[appID].acf
- Option 2: Boot Steam in Offline Mode:
- Navigate to the Steam config folder, usually at ~/.steam/steam/config or ~/.local/share/Steam/config.
- Open loginusers.vdf with a text editor.
- Change "WantsOfflineMode" and "SkipOfflineModeWarning" to "1".
- Save the file and set it as read-only:
Code:
     chmod 444 ~/.steam/steam/config/loginusers.vdf
- Restart Steam, and it should launch in offline mode automatically.

I hope this helps! If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.