Dual Boot Salix and Kali

orz

Reaction score
Credits
Hey everyone!
I just got a Lenovo Thinkpad with Ubuntu pre-installed, and 250GB storage!
I'm planning on installing both Salix and Kali on it, but I'm not sure how to.
Which do I install first?? Do I fully install one over ubuntu and then add the other one or do i dual boot with ubuntu and then replace ubuntu???
How do I know how much storage to partition to each? do i need a separate root partition for each os?
and what is a swap partition???
I've previously used Kali in Virtualbox but I felt like it would be easier to just install it normally.
Thanks in advance!!!

Better to use Kali just in virtual box. It's not meant to install on a real hardware or as main OS.

Quote from their own site
  • The developers always try to make Kali Linux as much hardware compatible as possible but, still some hardware/s might not work as expected or not work at all. So, its better to research hardware compatibility beforehand rather than breaking your computer later.
  • If you are installing Kali Linux for the first time, it is recommended to install first in Virtual Machine then, after getting familiar with it, you can install it in your own hardware.
Should i use kali linux

Last edited:
a little advice.
There are about half a dozen Pen-Testing distributions of Linux, most are difficult to install if you do not understand how to find and use the terminal to install additional drivers, you can go to the distribution official forums, but don't expect to get any help with basic installation questions, even on the one I am a member of, we will only point you in the direction to go, and still expect you to know where to look and what to do.

Professional pen-testers do not usually install their working distribution direct to their hard drive [unless it is a dedicated machine] for their own security, they will install their working testing distribution either to a persistent pen-drive or a virtual box.

1) Repartition using gparted as a preference

A) Assuming three exist at present, shrink /home to ~half hdd/ssd size
B) make an Extended partition out of the rest of the drive
C) make a root and a home in the extended partition

2) Install another distro on the new / and /home partitions

One COULD make two other partitions in the space obtained by shrinking the original home partition and install another distro.

Thank you for your feedback,
However, I still think that installing Kali on my computer is the best option.
  • The developers always try to make Kali Linux as much hardware compatible as possible but, still some hardware/s might not work as expected or not work at all. So, its better to research hardware compatibility beforehand rather than breaking your computer later.
Thinkpads are known for being compatible with most linux distros. I know that Kali is compatible with it, since Lenovo specifically has a "tutorial" on how to install it.
  • If you are installing Kali Linux for the first time, it is recommended to install first in Virtual Machine then, after getting familiar with it, you can install it in your own hardware.
By now, I am definitely familiar with Kali, and I at least have a basic understanding of the command line.

Professional pen-testers do not usually install their working distribution direct to their hard drive [unless it is a dedicated machine] for their own security, they will install their working testing distribution either to a persistent pen-drive or a virtual box.
It is worth mentioning now, that, I do not intend to use it as my "home computer." In fact, pretty much the reason that I bought it was to learn more about linux, security, etc and because my MacBook was running out of space for VirtualBox.
And even just a "direction to go in" would be helpful.

Thanks,
orz

Last edited:
Thank you for your feedback,
However, I still think that installing Kali on my computer is the best option.

Thinkpads are known for being compatible with most linux distros. I know that Kali is compatible with it, since Lenovo specifically has a "tutorial" on how to install it.

By now, I am definitely familiar with Kali, and I at least have a basic understanding of the command line.

It is worth mentioning now, that, I do not intend to use it as my "home computer." In fact, pretty much the reason that I bought it was to learn more about linux, security, etc and because my MacBook was running out of space for VirtualBox.
And even just a "direction to go in" would be helpful.

Thanks,
orz
Okay, good luck:)

OK
choose which distribution you want as your main one,
First install your second choice, then install your first choice [grub will automatically make the last distribution installed primary,]
It may have had Ubuntu on it before, but just to make sure, check in the UEFI/BIOS that secure boot and windows quick start are both disabled [if they are installed] then follow the installation instructions [make sure you read all the Kali documentation before you start] you can use my "How do I guide" to keep you on track,

Salix is based on Slackware and is not a distribution I would recommend to a novice, my suggestion is stick to a Debian based [Ubuntu is Debian based] distribution you will get better support as there are more users,

ACCEPT you will have problems installing Kali, make sure you have an internet connection other than via wireless [hard-wire to router ot teatherd mobile phone] so you can still get on the net for help and download any additional drivers you require.
DO NOT RUSH take your time and check every step and you should be OK

It's wise to read the Kali Linux Documentation first before your install.
OK
choose which distribution you want as your main one,
First install your second choice, then install your first choice [grub will automatically make the last distribution installed primary,]
It may have had Ubuntu on it before, but just to make sure, check in the UEFI/BIOS that secure boot and windows quick start are both disabled [if they are installed] then follow the installation instructions [make sure you read all the Kali documentation before you start] you can use my "How do I guide" to keep you on track,

Salix is based on Slackware and is not a distribution I would recommend to a novice, my suggestion is stick to a Debian based [Ubuntu is Debian based] distribution you will get better support as there are more users,

ACCEPT you will have problems installing Kali, make sure you have an internet connection other than via wireless [hard-wire to router ot teatherd mobile phone] so you can still get on the net for help and download any additional drivers you require.
DO NOT RUSH take your time and check every step and you should be OK
Agreed:-
I ran Slackware for 9 years, loved it but it did not hold my hand in the beginning and required a commitment to learn how to run it and run it well.

Have you tried Slackware Brickwizard?

Have you tried Slackware Brickwizard?
A long time back, in my early Linux days, Like many I tried all sorts, till I settled on Debian and its extended family

A long time back, in my early Linux days, Like many I tried all sorts, till I settled on Debian and its extended family
Good-
Like you I've went with Debian for the last 5 years or so.
May go back to Slackware if I can't get around the flat packages:-

Use the Unstable repos. Learn about Debian. ,Just a suggestion.

I went the other way -- learned debian distros then went to Slackware via Salix. But 15 is an improvement over 1337.

Have fun!

No, I haven't had any.
Running Debian Testing will help you learn how things work.
A Linux buddy of mine ran it for years and learned how to fix broken pkg's and all sorts of things.

Latest posts