Dual Monitors on PI 4

VP9KS

Reaction score
Credits
When I attached the second monitor to my PI 4, It was a learning experience. It came up with the same display on both monitors, including the task bar. As I moved the mouse, I saw it move on both, as if the new monitor on the left was a mirror image. This somewhat defeated the purpose I had in mind. Searching through the literature, I found no mention of this. It seemed as though no one had ever thought to mention having this problem. OK, let us see if we can figure this out. I pulled up the main menu, and went to the "Preferences" submenu. There is an item there titled "Screen Configuration". I opened this and it displayed a box with another box inside titled HDMI1. I dragged this box to the right, and found that there was another box under it, titled "HDMI2". This is the 2nd monitor! It was hiding under the first monitor. If they are overlapped, the video will overlap, so since they were completely overlapped, the video was also. You can move them apart, and there will be a gap in the movement of the mouse between them. Try playing with the positions of the two displays inside the configuration box, and see what the results are. Don't forget to pull down the "configure" menu and accept the changes, or they will be disarded. My current setup is shown in the screenshot below. Since they are right next to each other, the mouse moves seamlessly between the two displays. This also allows you to set the resolutions, and backgrounds, of both displays independently. You can right click on either display and change some of the settings, like where the task bar shows up, including on which display.

2021-10-21-085211_2560x1024_scrot.png

Happy Trails,
Paul

Last edited:

I would have to get two 55"TV's to make this happen as I use a 55" as my monitor so it's like having multiple screens being such a big screen for computing.

So... you can have retropie games on one screen and your computer on another?

I would have to get two 55"TV's to make this happen as I use a 55" as my monitor so it's like having multiple screens being such a big screen for computing.

This isn't on an SBC, so may not be relevant.

In one of my setups, I use mis-matched monitors. The monitor on my right is flipped 90° for better document viewing and is only a 27" monitor. My main monitor (on that setup) is just 32" - which is deliberate 'cause I keep most things maximized. I do most of my writing at that setup.

This isn't on an SBC, so may not be relevant.

In one of my setups, I use mis-matched monitors. The monitor on my right is flipped 90° for better document viewing and is only a 27" monitor. My main monitor (on that setup) is just 32" - which is deliberate 'cause I keep most things maximized. I do most of my writing at that setup.
Yeah, My monitors are mismatched also. The right one (HDMI1) is a 22 inch Dell, and the left one (HDMI2) is a 17 inch Acer. That is why I use the left one for CLI updates, while using the right one for videos.:)

Last edited:
My main monitor (on that setup) is just 32" - which is deliberate 'cause I keep most things maximized.
The better to see the Zombies, as they attempt to sneak up on you, eh?:eek:

The better to see the Zombies, as they attempt to sneak up on you, eh?

I figure I'm immune to zombie attack - so long as I'm home.

See, I'm really, really rural. In the summer, the zombies will rot away and be worn down before they get to me.

In the winter, they'll freeze before they get here!

If a few do manage to make it here, I've got a whole slew of firearms! However, being so far from a population center of any importance means I stand a good chance regardless.

Yup. I already thought my way through the zombie apocalypse back when it was popular for people to ask you what you'd do in the case of said apocalypse.

In the winter, they'll freeze before they get here!
I can relate! I remember delivering newspapers (1960s) on those cold winter mornings in Eastport Me. I told my wife about how my eyelashes would freeze to my cheeks, but I don't think she believed me. She is, after all, from down south where it never really gets cold:p

They will just fall apart because they have to walk so far?

Yes, and pretty quickly too. Without a circulatory system or cellular regeneration, without the ability to sweat away heat, they'll fall apart in short order.

I told my wife about how my eyelashes would freeze to my cheeks, but I don't think she believed me.

Don't forget to add in the windchill. Add that and she'll never believe you.

It sometimes gets so cold that when you pee outside it doesn't really melt the snow - it builds a little stalagmite.

Sweet! I'm already envisioning a single media box or retro-gaming box with a monitor in the lounge and in the bedroom with the hopes the Bluetooth can reach (specs for most BT say 10M but it's more like 2-3M).

specs for most BT say 10M but it's more like 2-3M).
That depends on the antennas you use at both ends. For instance, my wife likes to take her bluetooth speaker into the next room. It did not work well, because she was using an USB bluetooth adapter plugged into a port on the rear of the computer, which is inside her monster of a desk (Actually a cabinet). I used an extension cable to raise it to the top of the cabinet, where it was in the clear. Now she roams over most of the house with no problems.:) (RF Engineering 101:p)

Happy Trails,
Paul

Last edited:
Here is another cool use for dual monitors. My wife and I both enjoy solving Logic Puzzles, but while she prefers to use paper and pencil, I prefer a more high-tec approach. I use the left monitor of my Pi4B to display the clues, while I use the right monitor to display the grid in a spreadsheet. Here is a screen shot to illustrate what I mean.
2022-09-25-193850_2560x1024_scrot.png

This is page 35 of the march 2023 Magpi, and this is the first I have seen showing what I talked about earlier in this thread.>
2023-02-24-101542_2960x1050_scrot.png

This is page 35 of the march 2023 Magpi, and this is the first I have seen showing what I talked about earlier in this thread.>View attachment 15129

I'd say I'm sorry for the off-topic, but I'm not. If I was sorry, I wouldn't do it!

I just have to ask, is that a pic of you with the old bi-plane?

I'd say I'm sorry for the off-topic, but I'm not. If I was sorry, I wouldn't do it!

I just have to ask, is that a pic of you with the old bi-plane?
Indeed it is!. It was back in the 70s.

Indeed it is!. It was back in the 70s.

I want to make a joke about you being so old that bi-planes were new technology, but I'm of a similar age.

That said, the plane looks like loads of fun. I've piloted all sorts of planes, but I am not a pilot. I am decidedly *not* going to get my license and buy a plane. I have so many better things to do than babysit a plane.

Members online