Fans don't work after waking up from sleep mod

tuquilo

Reaction score
Credits
Hello, I have a problem every time when I waking my laptop from sleep mod the fans didn't work. I tested on Arch, Debian, Ubuntu based distro and a systemd free distro but it still doesn't work. Can somebody helps me please ? (Sorry for my bad English)

maybe they spin up, if a certain temperature is reached? Maybe run a benchmark and look at temps and the fan.

I tried to heat my laptop by stressing my cpu but the fans still don't work I think it's a kernel problem. Do you know how to report a problem to the linux team ?

Is it the CPU Fan or GPU Fan? Do you have a selfassembled Desktop PC or "a ready to use" Desktop / Laptop? I have never submitted a bugreport to Linux team, maybe someone else here can help you with that.

I don't know but the gpu is integrated graphics. It's a cheap laptop by asus. I will search how to submit a bug to the linux teal. Thanks you.

Did you see / feel the fans spinning with Windows?

Is the package: fancontrol, of any use? Here is a description of it:
Description: utility to control the fan speed
Lm-sensors is a hardware health monitoring package for Linux. It allows you
to access information from temperature, voltage, and fan speed sensors. It
works with most newer systems.
This package contains a daemon that calculates fan speeds from temperatures
and sets the corresponding PWM outputs to the computed values. This is
useful when this feature is not provided by the BIOS or ACPI, which should
normally be the case on a laptop.
With fancontrol, one uses the pwmconfig command for configuration.

I do have a more obscure explanation -

If the fan is dirty or if the bearings are in bad shape, then the impeller will seize up under very low rpm (such as sleep mode). When that happens, it's rotation won't be restored through voltage being delivered through "normal" operation.

When you boot or reboot the system, the fan is momentarily brought to full power, which may spin it into operation.

If I am right, then this will burn up the motor with time as it will deteriorate under the strain.

Usually, the OS shouldn't take control of the fans unless specific software is installed. They are controlled via adjustable BIOS fan curve.

Members online

Latest posts