Forwarding emails from private network to internet email address

KenHorse

Reaction score
Credits
We have a small private network and have added some devices that send notifications by email (not SMS). What I'd like to be able to do is have the emails sent by these devices forwarded to my public email address. There is currently no other email traffic on this network and the only emails sent are from these devides

There is a server (dual NIC) on the network that is connected to both our private network and the internet that could do the deed. It is running Debian 11.

Can Sendmail do this or is there a better option?

You may have problems sending email to a public mail service. If you have an in house email system and then set up a forwarding rule you would have better luck. One thing I did at home was to set up a private email server. My ISP flat out has added my network to a blacklist of networks that should not have an email server on them. To get around this I use a company called Brevo.(there are others out there) I configured my server to send my email to them and they in turn forward to their final destination. Since they are trusted the emails are received. Someone else here might have better ideas. Good luck.

There is currently no email server on the private network and I am the only one to receive emails from the devices. Looks like it won't be as easy to do as I had hoped

You say that it's already sending emails.

Where's it sending those emails to?

At the moment, nowhere and that's what I'm trying to correct! I WANT to receive emails from these devices but, at the moment, can't!

Ah, that's more involved than is within my wheelhouse but many applications will have an option to send mail, you just need to install something that deals with mail with something like sendmail. You'd need to install and configure it to send mail to your email address.

That's beyond what I do, however. I can't really give specifics.

There is currently no email server on the private network and I am the only one to receive emails from the devices. Looks like it won't be as easy to do as I had hoped
You can give it a try configuring sendmail and see how it works. Lots of factors that can cause issues. For me I found that Google and Yahoo want to see a valid email server. I used the following project a few years ago to create an email server that would successfully communicate with public email services such as yahoo.

The company in question sendblue is now Brevo. I set this up in a vm in less than an hour and works quite solid. The one thing that take a bit longer would require you to put in SQL rules in your database to forward emails.

Again I am sure there are other ways to do this. Before I retired I would have various appliance send me emails but most of them had the facility to do this natively. I was also getting them sent to my companies email server. If I had a problem I would pick up the phone..

Members online