Gaming on Linux is awesome

Nadeboy

Credits
It is very fast to game on linux for me, wine is a very good application for games, anyone else agree with me that wine is something good for games?

A question though,

Will Rockstar Games and Ubisoft, Steam, release good games for Linux in the future? Without the use of Wine? ;)

sp331yi

Credits
Ran across this video recently looking into Pop!_OS and Lutris -- was impressed.

f33dm3bits

Gold Member
Gold Supporter
Credits
That video was also mentioned here ;) also check out the one from LTT:

PopOS looks great for gaming, I have never tried it. Although rolling release distributions are even better for gaming since they have access to all the most recent and most updated software.

Last edited:

f33dm3bits

Gold Member
Gold Supporter
Credits
It is very fast to game on linux for me, wine is a very good application for games, anyone else agree with me that wine is something good for games?

A question though,

Will Rockstar Games and Ubisoft, Steam, release good games for Linux in the future? Without the use of Wine? ;)
I disagree that wine is good for gaming, I think you mean proton is good for Linux gaming and with that I do agree. Apart from working on proton Steam has already ported a lot of games to Linux and is still working on getting more ported, I don't think Ubisoft will be adding Linux support to their games any time soon and I think it will take sometime before other big game developers will be adding Linux support to their games . It's awesome that Steam is doing such good work on both porting games to run on Linux and also working on proton, I really don't care if the game runs native or through proton as long as more games become available to play on Linux. Although games that run natively run better because of not needing a compatibility layer to run.

dos2unix

Credits
I disagree that wine is good for gaming, I think you mean proton is good for Linux gaming and with that I do agree. Apart from working on proton Steam has already ported a lot of games to Linux and is still working on getting more ported, I don't think Ubisoft will be adding Linux support to their games any time soon and I think it will take sometime before other big game developers will be adding Linux support to their games . It's awesome that Steam is doing such good work on both porting games to run on Linux and also working on proton, I really don't care if the game runs native or through proton as long as more games become available to play on Linux. Although games that run natively run better because of not needing a compatibility layer to run.
I do use wine to run some Legacy windows games. (I still like StarCraft II and Age of Empires)
It's usually un-noticable that it's running under Linux. Of course these aren't high performance, graphics intensive games.

Playing on-line games is a mixed bag for me. I'm not a big gamer to begin with. The last multi-player games I really got into was TitanFall II. I suspect even if it did run under wine, there would be performance issues. But even in Windows, network latency is a problem.

I like games I can download, and play even when the internet isn't working. I realize this is going away, and everything is moving to "on-line only". But perhaps that's why I play less and less of these games.

f33dm3bits

Gold Member
Gold Supporter
Credits
I mostly play single-player games, the only online games I play are UT1999, UT2004, UT3 and Borderlands 3. With that last for some strange reason I can't get someone to join me in a game. Hopefully Gearbox will have that fixed eventually.

Members online

Latest posts