Garbage-ware

C

Crippled

I don't know if this is permitted here. If not just delete this and if it's permitted, reply with go ahead. As Linux users we have large software choices. I gave this thread the title of Garbage-ware because there is some software that is garbage. Either it's incomplete or it is so poorly written it just doesn't work or crashes like Windows 98. What Linux programs you came across that earns the title of Garbage-ware?

Debian Sid updates for Xorg.

Yep using Debian Sid based Linuxbbq and have to apt hold xserver-xorg-core to prevent an
"update" which results in a frozen mouse pointer. Heaps of distros based on Sid - come on Debian Devs
fix this problem it is still a bug - ridiculous!

I would name GNOME Shell and KDE after 3.5 (4, 5), they are sooo bloated, crash way too much and are designed for grandmothers and hipsters. Ubuntu Software Centre (slow and unstable), Ubuntu Unity (from 2011 and towards Mir), Zeitgeist, PulseAudio, Avahi (absolutely useless for 99% of people, but is included pretty much everywhere), udev and, of course, systemd (okay, simply grab everything from Poettering and Sievers and it will be garbage-ware). Also I see absolutely no use in display managers and Plymouth boot screen. Abiword when it became a GTK+3 application. OS X interface (Aqua its name I believe), OS X at all I would say but it's not really relevant.

But at all it's actually really hard to find something poorly written in open source community.

My 0.02

I agree with you in a way with KDE. It cause hard freezes that only a reboot works. Gnome is a Yuppy desktop. I agree with you on PulseAudio because it never works. FreetuxTV and xSane both don't work.

I agree with you in a way with KDE. It cause hard freezes that only a reboot works. Gnome is a Yuppy desktop. I agree with you on PulseAudio because it never works. FreetuxTV and xSane both don't work.
FreeTuxTV was working I believe a couple of years ago when I tried it, as it was suggested you sometimes better to downgrade and pin software as it works better, examples are Abiword GTK+2, I use file-roller and evince from GNOME2, SuperTuxKart 0.7 (which is two releases behind the latest one), I also sometimes play with CentOS 6 and Debian 6, they have complete GNOME2 environments and are rock stable. Debian 6, codename Squeeze, still has Galeon browser in repos, which is (well, was actually) a cool alternative for Firefox, it was a bleeding edge browser five years ago. Sadly, the development was seized in favour of Epiphany (now Web), which is far behind even from old Galeon.

I mean, just because it's newer doesn't mean it's better, that's why forks are born, like Mate and Trinity, that's why Audacious is now gtk+2 again, that's why LXDE switched to Qt, that's why GNOME refugees are now using Xfce which is still the same as it was in the very beginning (of course with some new cool features). They have a switch to gtk+3 in their roadmap, but I think it will be unlikely and the next release will be probably based on either gtk+2 or gtk+4 which is said will be rock solid as the second one was.

As for XSane, I can't tell, I don't even have a scanner.

Mitt

What other free TV programs are there?
Nothing more really. It's half-legal I think, so it is cool that we have at least something.

If you want to stream TV I'd suggest searching for sites that provide it, there are plenty. Be sure to use advertisement blocker there, fast connection speed is actually preferred. Quality can be low, but last I was watching it was ok. There is also Netflix.

All this legal stuff has been getting out of hand. So it is what it is. It's been my experience coming from Windows about 2.5 months ago when software doesn't work I try to make it work but it gets to a point where it's more trouble than it's worth. I found this to be like that in Windows and Linux. The good thing with Linux it's no charge unlike with Windows in many cases but not all. Also it's much easier to un-install a program with Linux and not have some garbage left behind at times like in Windows. I am getting to understand that there is a disconnect in the Linux community in some cases with some of the techies with basic computer users. I do find a lot in the Linux community eager to help like you Mitt Green but unfortunately I do come across the obnoxious conceded ones. I am still adjusting to the Linux world on how things are done.

It's more about freedom, not price (but it's an important factor). Freedom to learn, to share, to get and to give. Check out this site for more comprehensive information.

I was speaking about websites that provide free as beer streaming by the way.

Sometimes it's hard to explain. I understand that part which is great about Linux. It's just how it is done and handled which I am still learning. Thanks. OK.

There are various services available through the browser
http://www.nbc.com/
http://abc.go.com/index
http://itvmediacenter.com/app/index_guide.php
http://www.hulu.com/welcome

Try Googling: us tv online
Thanks. The problem is many times they want to charge you. I have no income because I became disabled on October 2013 and have been fighting for my S.S.D.I. benefits that I paid into Social Security for over 33 years. Luckily my folks are helping me as much as they can on their fixed income.

Thanks. The problem is many times they want to charge you. I have no income because I became disabled on October 2013 and have been fighting for my S.S.D.I. benefits that I paid into Social Security for over 33 years. Luckily my folks are helping me as much as they can on their fixed income.
I'm sorry.

Here are a couple of free streaming sites, mostly sports-oriented but with TV channels available as well.

http://www.vipleague.me/
http://goatd.net/

many times they want to charge you
Not always. If they do just move on.

I became disabled on October 2013 12th March 2000!

Google Chrome /Chromium has some apps/extensions for television.

Not always. If they do just move on.

I became disabled on October 2013 12th March 2000!

Google Chrome /Chromium has some apps/extensions for television.
Thanks. That's what I do. I am sorry to hear that and know how it is. Did you every get S.S.D.I. or S.S.I.?

Members online