Garuda Linux

gvmbh

Reaction score
Credits
What do you think of this distribution? I am liking it. Updates do not break the system.

Print of system.

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.png
    Screenshot_1.png
    354.1 KB · Views: 224
Garuda is based on Arch and use the BTRFS file system and Snapper as an automatic snapshot feature to backup before updates which IMO uses too much disk space over time, it also requires at least 4GBs of RAM to run if your machine does not have more then that then I would recommend a less resource hungry distro and file transfer is slower on BTRFS vs ext4 and BTRFS has a lot more code then ext4 - but the BTRFS file system can use bigger drive up to 16 Exbibytes where ext4 is 16 Terabytes, but then again I do not know of a single person who has a 16 Exbibyte drive.

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you think of this distribution? I am liking it. Updates do not break the system.
Indian made Garuda Linux is a fancy Linux distro
Based on Arch Linux so expect some system breaks
It uses a btrfs file system, it is a modern file system (remember newer is always not better) btrfs has its own pros and cons
And it needs at least 4GB of ram to run and 8GB (for Gnome) to function smoothly(In my opinion ram requirements are a bit high)
And the good thing is It comes in so many flavors so pick the one you like
And it has its own control center (Garuda assistant) So basic tasks can be done from there directly

i love it. i has it on my gaming pc. my main LapTop and a 10 years old laptop.
278917519_302680138695206_4837059519765570732_n.jpg

it needs at least 4GB of ram to run and 8GB (for Gnome) to function smoothly(In my opinion ram requirements are a bit high)
i don't agree on that i run it on my 10 years old Laptop and i feel like it running smoothly.
Screenshot-2.png

But then again I do not know of a single person who has a 16 Exbibyte drive.
Exbibyte no but Petabyte sure. Linus is one person i know has a Petabyte Server. also the biggest HDD i know of is 20 TB so that is that.