Solved Getting Started I Hope.

Solved issue
BTW my name is Mark.
Ok mark, I am one of the Many Brian's

Mint LMDE will fit on a standard 4.7gb DVD, I prefer DVD-r [all formats should work], BUT when you use your burning application choose a slow burn speed [it may be slow but I do not go above x2] as it usually produces fewer errors.
Which machine [make model] and OS do you propose to use?

Toshiba Satellite L750 with windoze 10
I am home all day tomorrow.

Satellite L750 with windoze 10
Absolutely no problems try using rufus first as its on a windows machine [ if you dont have it rufus download]

Go to the download site [see post 130 and scroll down, there are 2 Aussie sites and 1 NZ site about 3/4 of the way down click the green link next to the site you choose, and it should take you there. I am about today, not much tomorrow [clinic] and on holiday from Tuesday [51/2 hr drive one way] I will be back monitoring and answering questions when i get there but you will be in bed by then.

a Satellite L750 with windoze 10
Would that be the 2010 build with the 2nd gen I5 CPU, if so that should also run Linux with minimal problems for basic daily computing [not gaming]

I cant remember when I got it but it had windoze 7 on it.
Just out of curiosity what is the distance in km for a 5 1/2 drive?
Here the speed limit on the open road is 130 km thanks to the labor gumment.
Previously we had an open limit.

Open road here is 100 km/hour

Freeway conditions 110/120 km/hour (no cross roads etc)

what is the distance in km for a 5 1/2 drive?
from where I live it is a mixed run of urban roads uk country lanes and motorway [freeway] about 1/3 each so mixed limits of between 20 and 70 mph [30-110 kph] if I don't hit any problems I should average 50 mph [80kph] distance is nothing to antipodeans around 420 K [260 miles]

i am allowing half hour for 5 lots of roadworks I know about to get through [the dark blue route]

Last edited:
I have not used Windows for years, so I don't know if this still works,
when you have downloaded your distribution, find the file in your download folder and right click, it may give you the option to burn as bootable disc, if so check the burn speed and burn the disc

2, Previously I had AdBlock Plus and Privacy Badger and used Duck Duck Go as my browser,are these still good or are there something better?
I don't know why and I don't have any proofs except bad feelings about these.
Suggested combo: firefox + uBlock origin + NoScript
Search engine: still google, with the above combo and a bit of manual work to configure extensions google can be greatly restricted while preserving speed and it's unmatched results.

edit:
it appears like I somehow quoted an old post 5 pages back..

I don't know why and I don't have any proofs except bad feelings about these.
Suggested combo: firefox + uBlock origin + NoScript
Search engine: still google, with the above combo and a bit of manual work to configure extensions google can be greatly restricted while preserving speed and it's unmatched results.

edit:
it appears like I somehow quoted an old post 5 pages back..
Thanks for this CaffeineAddict, I have the first two will look at the NoScript extension.

from where I live it is a mixed run of urban roads uk country lanes and motorway [freeway] about 1/3 each so mixed limits of between 20 and 70 mph [30-110 kph] if I don't hit any problems I should average 50 mph [80kph] distance is nothing to antipodeans around 420 K [260 miles]

i am allowing half hour for 5 lots of roadworks I know about to get through [the dark blue route]
That sounds like down south or the east coast, I remember one long straight road in Victoria that had 20 plus speed limit changes, spent more time looking at the speedo than you did looking at the road. When we got to see our friends they said that the copper love setting up the radar traps there.

Damn, missed you.

Afternoon Mark :)

Got a job for you back in Advanced Options - Drop to Root Shell if you are up to it, and this will work.

It's for the Acer, if that is still up and running.

I'll put it together, and post it in 45 minutes or so, have to duck into town first for an errand.

Cheers

Wiz

Still here , Do I get to Advanced Options in Terminal?

No, it is to do with rebooting the computer, then when your Acer logo appears start tapping the Esc or Shift key that you used earlier in the thread when we went to change your password.

That tapping generates a Grub Menu that has at least two (2) lines, one with Linux Mint but you choose the one that says Advanced Options.

In Advanced options, choose the line nearest the top that ends in (Recovery).

Then you arrow down to

Drop to Root Shell and press Enter, output will spool down the screen and eventually offer you to press Enter for Maintenance or Ctrl-D to continue.

Choose by pressing Enter and you will be at a prompt that ends with a #.

Before doing all that, I'll type in the instructions in the next Post.

Just get to where the arrow is pointing, and then we'll add the commands.

vqHwr0g.png

We're going to add another user, and give him access to the groups needed including, very importantly, sudo.

First, the user

Code:
adduser mark

Use your already existing, written down, unforgettable password - typing it in and pressing enter as required for it to show success.

then the groups membership, I'll explain a little more on those later

Code:
usermod -aG adm,cdrom,sudo,dip,plugdev.lpadmin,sambashare mark

Have your password still with you and type in and enter

Code:
reboot

When you get in to the login screen you will see userd but also mark

click mark and enter your password, it should take you to a fresh desktop

Members online