Horizontal Stripes Appearing Randomly Throughout The Day

m_grommash

Reaction score
Credits
Hi guys,
As the title says I’ve witnessed horizontal stripes randomly appearing on my laptop after a few days of installing Ubuntu.
It happened twice:
1) In the morning when it covered only 1/5 of the display and just disappeared after 2 seconds
2) In the evening when it didn’t seem to go away and managed to fill all display area

The problem isn’t about the OS itself but diagnosing it myself may acquire some Linux commands just like it takes in Windows (like hardware troubleshooter if it’s about hardware and etc)

For reference, these are the parameters my laptop (LENOVO LEGION Y520 80WK) has:
Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 630 driver: i915 v: kernel
Device-2: NVIDIA GP107M [GeForce GTX 1050 Mobile] driver: nvidia
v: 535.171.04
Device-3: Bison EasyCamera driver: uvcvideo type: USB
Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 21.1.11 with: Xwayland v: 23.2.6 driver: X:
loaded: modesetting,nvidia unloaded: fbdev,nouveau,vesa dri: iris gpu: i915
resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
API: EGL v: 1.5 drivers: iris,nvidia,swrast
platforms: x11,surfaceless,device
API: OpenGL v: 4.6.0 compat-v: 4.5 vendor: intel mesa v: 24.0.5-1ubuntu1
renderer: Mesa Intel HD Graphics 630 (KBL GT2)

Last edited:

Did you make any changes etc etc regarding graphics in any way...drivers etc etc ?.....or any changes regarding which kernel used etc ?

Which Linux was installed ?

Did you make any changes etc etc regarding graphics in any way...drivers etc etc ?.....or any changes regarding which kernel used etc ?

Which Linux was installed ?
No, all the drivers were installed automatically with the OS.
Ubuntu specifically.

If it might help my laptop tends to overheat since I bought it from my brother who didn’t change thermo paste in like 2 years and temperature is usually 65-70 degrees of celsius, sometimes goes even up to 80 when I simply turn off the laptop and let it cool off (I know it’s a worst practice you can use however I can bring the laptop to service only next week and need to use it meanwhile).

With time, laptop stopped seeing my main graphic and just started using the bios one (that happened when I was still using Windows), i think overheating affected the graphic card and now i see the results.

I didn’t manage to download CPU temperature detector after switching to Linux so I didn’t check for temp while using it, so maybe it just heated up this time but I didn’t notice it so that’s how laptop reacted?

Last edited:
temperature is usually 65-70 degrees of celsius
That would almost definitely have input into your current problem

Take a look at the vent openings usually located at the front of the laptop and also at the rear....more often than not located down low....you would need to pick the laptop up to see them. which would impede airflow

Are they showing 'fluff'/dust/etc etc in them?

Not changing thermo paste would not necessarily be a factor, unless the thermal paste has been altered at some time and not put in place properly

In the menu area....you should have access to Applets.

CPU Temperature Indicator ......will give you more info

Latest posts