ERROR: You appear to be running an X server; please exit X before
installing. For further details, please see the section INSTALLING
THE NVIDIA DRIVER in the README available on the Linux driver
download page at www.nvidia.com.
I’m using kali if that matters

You could boot to text prompt, as follows:
Hit e when the grub menu starts.
Navigate down to the linux line.
Add 3 after a space within the quotes if they exist.
Hit cntl+x to boot.
The machine should boot to a text prompt.
Enter username and password to log in.

When whatever you need to do is done, run: startx to start the GUI.

Looks like you are installing it with an Nvidia run file. So my first question would be, what Linux distribution are you using and which exact Nvidia gpu do you have in your system?

Just the last thing I will leave since Kali is based on Debian testing.
And my last comment, if you don't know how to install an Nvidia driver, you shouldn't be using Kali but a beginner friendly distribution(Mint, Ubuntu, etc.) that does make such things easy for you by providing a driver manager. So that you can learn the basics of Linux and eventually get back to Kali when you have an idea of what you are doing.

Last edited:
You could boot to text prompt, as follows:
Hit e when the grub menu starts.
Navigate down to the linux line.
Add 3 after a space within the quotes if they exist.
Hit cntl+x to boot.
The machine should boot to a text prompt.
Enter username and password to log in.

When whatever you need to do is done, run: startx to start the GUI.
Thank you but I have already found my own solution

You have to stop X by stopping your display manager before you can install the driver from the run file. The downside of this that next kernel update you will have to run it again because the module needs to be compiled again for the new kernel. The better option is to install the Nvidia driver from the repos. Only Kali I think you have to enable the non-free repo and then install the driver.
Code:
apt install nvidia-driver firmware-misc-nonfree
Then reboot on your should have the new driver loaded.
The other option would be to setup use the run file and setup dkms to compile the module for the new kernel each time a new kernel is installed. Installing the driver is still the beter solution.

You have to stop X by stopping your display manager before you can install the driver from the run file. The downside of this that next kernel update you will have to run it again because the module needs to be compiled again for the new kernel. The better option is to install the Nvidia driver from the repos. Only Kali I think you have to enable the non-free repo and then install the driver.
Code:
apt install nvidia-driver firmware-misc-nonfree
Then reboot on your should have the new driver loaded.
The other option would be to setup use the run file and setup dkms to compile the module for the new kernel each time a new kernel is installed. Installing the driver is still the beter solution.
I’m just gonna use kali’s official guide when it comes to commands,
Do I need to download the kernel headers when downloading from the repos

Installing **** on Linux is really like idk
you need to complete all the side quests before you can complete your goal of installing that one driver

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online