How To Install BalenaEtcher In Linux Mint.

bob466

Reaction score
Credits
When you download BalenaEtcher and double click to open it...you get...Unknown file type.

Choose a program or cancel...there’s an easy way open it. Right click and choose Properties and click Permissions...go to Access...change Read-only to Read and write...then put a tick in Execute.

When you double click Etcher it will now open and ready to use.

Hope this helps someone.
m1212.gif

In the terminal it'd be chmod +x ./<file_name to set the executable bit.

Also, there are a number of download types. There are at least a .deb package and an .rpm package beyond the .appimage file. I want to say there's also a flatpak, but I'm not going to look it up right now. You needn't make it executable when it's a .deb file or an .rpm file you don't have to go through that, you can just go through the normal installation processes.

Some distros may require some software before they can use .appimage files. That's a consideration.

I sometimes use Etcher but never install it. Chmod it first, navigate to the location where I have the script saved and execute the script from the command line.

When you download BalenaEtcher and double click to open it...you get...Unknown file type.
I am assuming you mean the AppImage not the .deb or .rpm? The .deb and .rpm packages if you choose to install it that way are here - https://github.com/balena-io/etcher/releases/tag/v1.18.11
On the AppImage, all you have to do is right click it select properties, click permissions and put a check mark in "Allow this to run as a program" - you do not need to chmod
I believe the one that comes with Mint is based on the Ubuntu one and only does Ubuntu based OS, does not work on Arch - I may be wrong about that ??

I believe the one that comes with Mint is based on the Ubuntu one and only does Ubuntu based OS, does not work on Arch - I may be wrong about that ??
That may be why arch refused to boot/cooperate on my pc a few days ago

Staff online

Members online